***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Evo X or Ralliart. i cant decide

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

TYR
INACTIVE Member Account

Evo X or Ralliart. i cant decide

Postby TYR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Guys need help on desiding what i want
Evo X or ralliart, its driving me insane.
ok first i thought yes im going to buy a used ralliart and sorta mod it up with some Evo parts, then finding out its imposible. then i saw that the MY12 models will be coming with HID's and stuff so i said stuff it im going to wait and get a brand new one.
Then realise that by doing this i could just get a used Evo X for about the same price. so im at a crossroads and i just cant make my mind up. yes i can get a Evo for about the same price as a new ralliart but the ralliart will be new. but i wont beable to get brembos, Recaros and bilstians.
Dont get me wrong the Evo is nice looking with the flare wheel arches but i just dont think its better looking then the Ralliart. some reason i just find the ralliart better looking.
I know what most people are gonna say just get the evo. but realy its more complicated then that. Also its going to be my every day car
Hail to the Hammer

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:59 pm

An evo is a fun car to have but rmbr maintainence costs, fuel and insurance are high so have to keep that in mind.... BUT its an evo :lol:....

i had this dilemma and just made the decision to go for an RA nxt yr cuz its more cost efficient and also has a decent degree of fun but of course everyone has diff situations so u have to list out the pros and cons and whther ure prepared to live with the high costs.... mayn members here have had their evos for about 2-3 yrs and chged cars cuz of the high cost of upkeep...

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

TYR
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby TYR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:34 pm

What makes the maintainence most expensive?
I was told the standed Evo is more every day then the MR is that true?
Hail to the Hammer

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:34 pm

You are always taking a risk buying a second hand car. Has it been well looked after and serviced. It could have been thrashed or been in an accident.

A new Ralliart is nice but once you starting modding the engine there is always a risk.

Personally I would look for a nice Evo MR that has a full service history and stock standard.

tencents
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tencents » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:31 pm

i had to also decide between the 2 cars, in the end i went for the ralliart because of wife, 2yr old daughter and 2nd one on the way, needed more boot space and everyday practicality. It all comes down to your needs. Lets put it this way, ppl in their 20's will tend go for evo, family and in their 30's will properly find the ralliart more appealing. thats how i see it.. i'm not 30 yet by the way..lol in DEC i'll be..
- GST basemap
- AMS boostpill
- Works High flow drop in air filter
- Evo X BPV
- UR UICP

ninjured
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ninjured » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 pm

New ralliart all the way capped service 5 year warranty u will not notice a huge performance diff unless ur on a track or breaking the law plus u get the new car smell

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Depends what you are going to use it for, if youve got kiddo's that still needs prams i think ralliart is the way to go but if not just daily grocerys and stuff it will pretty much fit all in the boot of the X. in terms of maintenance I guess that its pretty much the same, only difference will be brake companents, and tires. engine will be pretty much on par with the evo with oils and filter i think the ralliart will have a bit more interval than the evo tho, but then what is 250 every 4-8 months depends where you drive. the part that adds up really quick in maintenance is the sst which is the same with ralliart and evo. in terms of performance ive never had a chance to drive a stock ralliart, I have a mate that owns a ralliart but uses the evox turbo. i would say after all the mods its just pretty much puts out the same as a stock evo x.

but let me tell you this punching 1st and 2nd to 80 kph gives me an ear to ear grin all the time!

hope everything pans to your expections! goodluck!

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:31 am

tencents wrote:i had to also decide between the 2 cars, in the end i went for the ralliart because of wife, 2yr old daughter and 2nd one on the way, needed more boot space and everyday practicality. It all comes down to your needs. Lets put it this way, ppl in their 20s will tend go for evo, family and in their 30s will properly find the ralliart more appealing. thats how i see it.. im not 30 yet by the way..lol in DEC ill be..

Ditto!! Although I wish I could afford a new Evo X when I was in my Early 20's. Had the same choice between new Evo and new Ralliart. Went Ralliart due to having a 10 month old baby girl and my wife didnt want me to get a full blown sports car... So the Ralliart was a great compromise :)

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 am

Yea...Ralliart...As an everyday driver you will find recaros get uncomfortable...especially on a long drive...I had the same choice and am very hapy with my choice of a RA...The TC-SST is fantastic...love it

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 pm

I made the mistake of buying the Ralliart when first faced with that decision in '09 - Its not that bigger difference I thought.. WRONG. It's a huge difference and in my opinion the car is light years ahead of the ralliart. Recaros are awesome seats and super comfortable in my opinion, have done a few interstate trips with no probs. The driving and handling quality cant be matched.. Make sure you take them both for a test drive and you'll soon find out what I mean.

I had the ralliart for a year - hardly put any Ks on it as I new as soon as I drove the car off the lot that I'd made a huge mistake. You can rice it up and put all you want in the engine bay - but it will never match the Evo at the end of the day.
Ralliart/Evo parts Versus 20s and BBS rims for sale! see: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7346

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Really depends on what you want out of the car.
If you plan on tracking it or doing some spirited driving... No questions get the Evo... You will find the handling and braking of the evo is at a whole other level compared to the Ralliart stock vs stock

I love my evo and its perfect for my purposes...
I love the performance
I dont use the boot much :)
I plan on hitting the track with it when time permits
I love the recaros, Ive done 40k in my car in 19 months.. multiple trips to brisbane and melbourne.. never had an issue

If your not fussed on the over all look and performance of the car..
I think the Ralliart would be the car for you.
If you want the performance.. Evo

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:34 pm

These are the reasons I bought a ralliart over evolution:

1. Cargo capacity - you don't even get a ski port on an evo let alone folding seats

2. I think the Recaros are very comfy and could easily drive around in them all day but they have two flaws: first there is no height adjustment which would mean my short partner wouldn't be able to see and secondly the large rigid lower side bolster stops you from swinging in and out of the seat which makes getting in and out of the car in a tight carspace difficult.

3. No doubt the evo is a better performer, but there is no way I would ever max out the lateral grip of the ralliart on the street, and there are easy power gains for the ralliart if you want straight line acceleration for much cheaper than an evo. If you frequent the track, then yeah by the time you buy some decent brakes, tyres and suspension for the ralliart you might as well get an evo.

4. If I was going to spend 60-70 grand new it wouldn't have been on a lancer, so I preferred a new ralliart to an older evo. Also, buying new got full warranty and little updates like colour display and bluetooth 2.0 which you wont get on an old second hand

I've had the ralliart for a month and here are my thoughts:
1. Its not *that* fast, but hey you know that before you buy it
2. Definately take a good stomp on the pedal before it gets going
3. Handling is a bit soft, definately not as sharp a turn-in as I'd like
4. Seats are very joe average - I'd prefer something with a stiff padded support without the metal frame of the recaros
5. TC-SST is alright, not too jerky at low speeds however in normal mode shifts up way too early so i usually use it in manual mode to prevent being in 6th gear everytime the engine unloads in traffic. Its fun when you whip through the gears but no match for a manual for initial acceleration or in instances where you'd normally dip the clutch a bit.
6. No launch control in ralliart so theres no real quick way to take off quickly from a stop

I'm very happy with the ralliart and its great to have a brand new car. If you were buying new I'd say theres no way the Evo is worth the extra (yes its better but not 50% extra better).
But second hand, I'd say if you can live with the evo and arent as worried about warranty and capped servicing then go for it I say, the main thing I had against it was I wanted to be able to chuck big things in the back, so I ended up getting a sportback.

ClubspecCustomDesigns
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby ClubspecCustomDesigns » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I think the PMR spec Ralliart will suit your needs.

As an everyday driver you will prefer the Ralliart, i drive one everyday and i have the choice of driving an Evo but prefer to driver the Ralliart.
Looking for that ultimate ride??
ClubSpec Custom Designs
www.facebook.com/ClubspecCustomDesigns

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 pm

My tuned Evo does better mileage than a stock Ralliart! :)
Just as Justin! :)

And I actually bought the Evo when our second kid was due.
Boot is big enough for the pram that we have... not must else will fit though! :)

ninjured
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ninjured » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:42 pm

lets not forget this is new ralliart vs 2nd hand evo. i can only imagine the punishment dealt out to most 2nd hand evos.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”