***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Choosing a SX over a VR.

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Choosing a SX over a VR.

Postby Gleno » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Noticed recently that most new
Members here are purchasing SX model lancers. Just curious as to why the SX seems to be a more attractive buy compared to the VR? Is it cost? Or do members feel it's simply not worth paying the extra $$ for auto lights, wipers and climate control and fog lamps and the 6 disk stacker?? Thats the main difference in features between the two models??

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Glen SX are now 90% of all Lancers sold.

Value for money over the other models I suppose.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Why did I get an SX instead of a VR? Lots of reasons.

Price was one. $21,000 is really good for a new car especially with the alloys, USB, bluetooth and the spoiler.

Auto lights and rain sensing wipers don't interest me because I leave my headlights on all the time for safety anyway. The car turns them off for me when I open the door. I'm pretty good at turning my own wipers on when there is some rain as well.

A 6 disc stacker would have been a waste because I use my iPod or a thumb drive anyway not CDs.

I don't like the lip spoiler. I love a spoiler you can hang your washing on :) The SX has a nice one IMO.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Most lancer buyers aren't out for something fancy and quite often its their first new car.

SX is more complete than an ES, without all the extra things you don't really need.

I probably would've gotten one if they were out when I got my VR :P
I actually wanted an RX just for the alloys and spoiler but by that stage there was only a few left in Perth and none with the right colour/transmission combo.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:58 pm

When I bought my VR, I was after as much gadgets as possible for my money (I bought my VR for the price of an ES/SX really back in that time). Also, there was no SX and the VR had all 7 airbags (ES did not). This was the major deciding factor in me going for the VR.

Though if I had bought my car today instead... proably would have bought an SX, no actually, a used VRX :P
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:03 pm

No probs thanks for the replies I keep forgetting about the USB port and the SX has the wing. So really the SX is well equipped if you disregard the auto stuff lights wipers etc.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 pm

The SX is pretty good value and is a great car for a prettied up 2L pov pack.

It has 7 air bags as well.

I've owned 4 cars in my life (disregarding hubbies leased cars over the last 23 years). The last 2 have been new. Not exactly a first car buyer lol

There are a lot of really expensive cars that have nothing more than the SX really. And who cares if the engine is only 2L. Didn't stop me powering up hills today that knocked the wind out of lesser, but more expensive, cars.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 pm

And the lancers have a fantastic warranty as well. I noticed in your earlier post that you use your headlights all the time? I think it's a good habit to get Into for safety as you stated in your earlier post. The traffic authority's and police are always pushing to use our headlights in the daytime and I feel it's something all motorists should adapt to. Also saves the hassle of installing DRL'S and the like. Can't beat the old fashioned headlight :)

Juisarian
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Juisarian » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Is it cost?

Yes.

Or do members feel it's simply not worth paying the extra $$ for auto lights, wipers and climate control and fog lamps and the 6 disk stacker??

They're nice to have but the value proposition is not there. In my experience the second cheapest model of anything is almost always the best value.

If I was buying second hand though it would be a different consideration.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I noticed in your earlier post that you use your headlights all the time? I think it's a good habit to get Into for safety as you stated in your earlier post. The traffic authority's and police are always pushing to use our headlights in the daytime and I feel it's something all motorists should adapt to. Also saves the hassle of installing DRL'S and the like. Can't beat the old fashioned headlight Smile

Hey Glen. Yeah years ago we lived on the Far North Coast of NSW and the cops used to push Operation Lightsafe. I've just had them on every time I've gone out of town ever since. With the Lancer, since the lights turn themselves off when I get out of the car, I just leave them on all the time. I still get a lot of people flashing their lights at me to tell me my lights are on though.

king eternal
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby king eternal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Youre forgetting that the newer vr has more features than the older ones such as the folding mirrors, the smart key system and the colour display instead of orange.

Also the sx its missing small things like [s]map readers at the front[/s], fog lights, stereo tweeters, more chrome, side skirts (I could be wrong so please correct me if so)

Personally the automatic lights and wipers are one of the favourite things about the car for me, it makes me feel like Im driving a more advance car, and its extremely convenient for me. I can't say much for the climate control as we havent really hit summer yet (bought my second hand so its a little bit of a different situation).

You can also get the rockford system is an optional extra on the vr and not on the sx.

When it comes down to it, it is how deep your pockets are.
Last edited by king eternal on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tac89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tac89 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:54 pm

The sx does come with the map lights but none of the other things you listed. I bought the sx because of the money i had at the time. i love it though. I also use the usb aswell, so there isnt any use for the 6 stacker. I really like the spoiler too, nice height.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Very short pockets here :)

The SX does have map lights at the front.

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:47 pm

SXLancerMum wrote:Why did I get an SX instead of a VR? Lots of reasons. Price was one. $21,000 is really good for a new car especially with the alloys, USB, bluetooth and the spoiler. Auto lights and rain sensing wipers dont interest me because I leave my headlights on all the time for safety anyway. The car turns them off for me when I open the door. Im pretty good at turning my own wipers on when there is some rain as well. A 6 disc stacker would have been a waste because I use my iPod or a thumb drive anyway not CDs. I dont like the lip spoiler. I love a spoiler you can hang your washing on :) The SX has a nice one IMO.

SXlancermum I am waiting for my SX to be delivered .I'm getting the lightingblue pearl like your picture .But with tinted windows .yours looks great and I cant wait !!
Main reason IMHO salesmen are pushing SX right now .I really wanted a built in sat nav but it was 2 models up i think .So i'll stay with my plugg in .But I am thinking of getting these installed# MZ590778EX (blue). they look cool IMHO
My 2011 sx the best damn car Ive ever owned or driven !!!

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Tac89 wrote:The sx does come with the map lights but none of the other things you listed. I bought the sx because of the money i had at the time. i love it though. I also use the usb aswell, so there isnt any use for the 6 stacker. I really like the spoiler too, nice height.

Might be my age but I had the reversing sensors installed .along with the Mitsubishi ralliart decals and dark tinted windows .Not sure but I may be getting a midlife crisis lmao.
Decal and neoprene seat-covers were due to seeing them on an SX awaiting delivery .
Got to say the normal test drive didnt do it for me but going down the side streets and being told left right left right made me feel like I was in a rally .
Bottom line for me I was about to start a car buying quest had a huge list of companies to call on .But $$$ were the main reason the other cars were more $$$ and smaller and who is to say better built .
Drove it loved .
My 2011 sx the best damn car Ive ever owned or driven !!!

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”