***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Looking at buying my first lancer...any tips?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Ezza_1989
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Looking at buying my first lancer...any tips?

Postby Ezza_1989 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:32 am

Hey guys :)

Looking at buying my first lancer. It will probably be the ES (though I would love an SX, but thats probably a bit out of my price range) I will be buying secondhand, a year or two old and probably through a dealer.

This will be my first car and first loan ever, so I'm a little unsure of how to go about everything, I really don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks guys!

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:37 am

Question is how much are you looking to spend?
Dont' say as little as possible. Give a ballpark.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:43 am

The SX was only about a grand more than the ES. Go in and deal. They'll still have some older stock to get rid of before the MY12s come in. The spoiler, alloys, bluetooth and that are worth the extra little bit.

Ezza_1989
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Ezza_1989 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't want to go over $20,000, probably wanna stay around $18,000 as this being my fist loan and all, I'd rather not break the budget. Plus I want to be able to save for other things and not have most of my spare money go on my car every week.

I almost got an es auto for 17,000 but the bank said no as I hadn't been in my job a year (its been a long year!) that year end October. *dance*

Ezza_1989
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Ezza_1989 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Should also mention. I tried to trade in last year a 94 magna (I'm amazed that its still running, that things a beast!) anyways, they pretty much said that no, they wouldn't take it.

Most people said that they should of taken it and that lots of car dealers take in crap cars for the 3000 min trade in and one guy said that he had a car worse than mine and he got it traded in...

Juisarian
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Juisarian » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:38 pm

The good thing about the ES, as I have learnt from these forums, is that you can add your own spoiler, sounds system, wheels etc and make it a whole new car :)

The "minimum trade in" thing depends on the dealer and can be a bit of a gimmick. You can always try selling the Magna privately. My dealer offered me a token price for my 97 Falcon and I was able to do better privately - would have done even better if I'd spent some time and money fixing it up but that wasn't part of the plan.

If one bank won't come to the party there are others + dealer finance (which I've never used so be careful, it can be tricky but there can be good advice on the Net on how to handle it).

A quick peruse of carsales.com.au indicates MY09 ES CVTs can be picked up for about $16k with about 60000kms on the clock. Look for one with a few options if you want them. You probably won't want one with the original tires on it if it's done that many k's though...

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Ezza_1989 wrote:I dont want to go over $20,000, probably wanna stay around $18,000 as this being my fist loan and all, Id rather not break the budget. Plus I want to be able to save for other things and not have most of my spare money go on my car every week. I almost got an es auto for 17,000 but the bank said no as I hadnt been in my job a year (its been a long year!) that year end October. *dance*

I've seen some posts on here about getting the SX for under $20000. They were having a deal on them for $20990 but people were getting them for a lot less. ES Auto is excellent for $17000 (if it was new). The manuals are going for $19488 or something at the dealers at the moment. Auto is usually more.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:10 pm

The ES is better if you want to add your own wheels and modifications. I haven't seen a recent one in person, but I would assume the interior is similar to that of the SX. (Don't know if those audio controls and map lights are there)
$17k would be a steal if it was brand new.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Erin one thing you will learn about this club is the CJ Lancers are very reliable.

$17k will buy you a good second hand Lancer. They came out in 2007 so you should be able to find a higher spec model then an ES.

It is not necessary to buy it from a dealer as any Lancer under 3 years is still covered by a new car warranty.

Good luck.

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey Erin, welcome to club CJ!
You could probably get a brand new SX for around 20000.
Good luck buying! Haggle haggle haggle!

If you need any help or have any questions, ask away!

Ali.

alterego13
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby alterego13 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Mate...
I bought a Brand New lancer SX MY11 for $19,200(manual)including some accessories about 3 weeks ago. Expect to pay about $1500 - $2000 more for Auto.
Hope this helps :)
Good luck with your hunt. My FIRST NEW car as well...and I must say..'Love That Car' ! :D

Edit: Just saw you're from Perth as well. Not sure if my ringing the dealer would help you..but I can definitely try. Although probably the reason I got this price was that my first point of contact was the dealer principal and then the sales manager.

Edit2: On the other hand...you could get a VR MY08/60,000km for around $15,500 (I've seen a few..on carsales and in person during my purchase)

Mitsi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mitsi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 pm

My first car was a 2001 Mirage so I have 'loved that car' from the beginning (My Mum had a Sigma when I was growing up, so my RA is my 3rd Mitsi). Have you checked out this one - bargain!! http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... 25A990BD26
2010 Lancer Ralliart <3

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:00 pm

If you go for the ES, add a SX spoiler which is around $500 fitted when I checked last thru Mitsubishi,and a nice set of mags and your set :) good luck and hope you get what your looking for :)

Ezza_1989
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Ezza_1989 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Hey guys.

The car will be secondhand, and although I don't really see the problem with going private, my dad wants me to go through a dealer.

The car for $17000 was an ES from John Hughes, they had a few like that at the time and it had done 48000km I think it was an 09 or 08.

I do wanna do some mods to it. Spoiler and rims for sure. I have a sound system that I'm taking from my old car and gonna put into the new one so sub and amp and two speakers (not sure if I can/will use the speakers) but I will probably get a new stero with the flip out screen cos they are cool :)

I've never "done up" or really added to a car before, so its something I've been looking forward to doing with this one.

I'm probably gonna go for the loan at the end of October or the start of November.

I think one of the main thing that concerns me is the number of kms the car has done. I want something with relatively low kms as I do a lot of driving, but I don't really know whats good for however old the car is.

BlueWRX
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby BlueWRX » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:45 pm

just make sure its Blue best colour out there ;)

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”