***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

VRX Lancer

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Alureous
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

VRX Lancer

Postby Alureous » Sun May 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Hey guys,

Was looking into grabbing a Black 2.4l VRX in manual. I currently have an earlier model Lancer (1.5l CE2 Lancer) and the car has run like clockwork. Albeit even if it is pretty underpowered.

Now I had a few questions I was hoping you guys could clear up for me,

Firstly, I remember hearing something about Mitsubishi introducing stability controls in later model VRXs. Is that true, and does that mean say, the 2007 model VRXs don't have some of the controls?

Secondly, power. It's not the biggest issue to me. But coming from a car that was pretty gutless, it did get frustrating on take off with a full load and with air con on. Is it still more or the less a problem, or does the 2.4l have enough zip to comfortably get going? I took an stock Evolution IX for a drive recently and that was ridiculously quick, so i'm not chasing that kind of power.

Thirdly, I guess is more of a long winded question, but have there been any significant changes to the car since it's first introduction in 2007 to an 2011 one? For example, major aesthetic changes or interior changes? Or is buying a 2007 pretty much the same as buying a 2011 model?

I should probably add that i'm chasing one with a sunroof and the MMCS.

Cheers guys.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi Luke welcome.

All CJ Lancers have ASC as standard. The MY08 VRX only has a 2.0L engine and MY09 on have the 2.4L. Both engines have plenty of power. 2.4L has good mid range torque so a car load will overtake sufficiently for most.

Every year new models have only minor improvements. The biggest improvement is in sound proofing. The MY11 has better sound system as standard and a nicer display screen.

Please go see Nick at Preston Motors Ralliart. They are a sponsor of the club and will look after you. Make sure you mention club cj to them.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Sun May 15, 2011 8:05 pm

I have a new SX which is the 2.0 litre. It doesn't have any trouble getting up hills when it's fully laden with the air con on full bore so I'm pretty sure the 2.4 would really kick butt.

And yeah the stability control is standard across the range. It's pretty good. Mine has turned itself on a couple of times :)

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun May 15, 2011 8:08 pm

The 2.0L Lancer does not struggle uphill with the aircon on and a heavy load. Obviously it won't handle the same as without a heavy load, but it would be much more sufficient than your old CE.

Alureous
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Alureous » Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Heya,

Cheers for the quick replies all.

aspir3 wrote:Hi Luke welcome.
Every year new models have only minor improvements. The biggest improvement is in sound proofing. The MY11 has better sound system as standard and a nicer display screen.

You're on MCA aren't you Troy? Username looks familiar.

When you refer to nicer display screen, which screen do you refer to? I'm assuming the small screen in the instrument cluster?

By the accounts of what i've heard in this thread, power doesn't seem to be an issue. I had a quick look through the forum and I noticed something about a sluggish take off. Was that just limited to the CVT version?

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 pm

My manual 2 litre SX used to have a sluggish takeoff until its 1500km service. I was a bit disappointed but thought whatever cause it was brilliant in all other ways. Then after the 1500 service it was like they'd turned something off or on or something and it is really quick off the mark. Now I'm extremely happy with her.

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Mon May 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah the CVT is pretty sluggish off the line but it does accelerate quite nicely after that. You won't be getting those horrible forward lurches for sure.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Alureous wrote:You're on MCA aren't you Troy? Username looks familiar.

When you refer to nicer display screen, which screen do you refer to? I'm assuming the small screen in the instrument cluster?

By the accounts of what i've heard in this thread, power doesn't seem to be an issue. I had a quick look through the forum and I noticed something about a sluggish take off. Was that just limited to the CVT version?

Yes i am on MCA.

Yes the instrument panel is the one in between the instrument cluster.

The CVT has a little lag off the line. It is not slow, just not responsive. I have not heard any problems with the manual.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 pm

I'd be worried if a manual was sluggish :P

The manual is fine, no complaints :) first is a little useless but in a FWD economy car it hardly matters. Oh and we all long for a 6th gear, but it is alright with 5...

Alureous
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Alureous » Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 am

Beautiful, cheers for the responses guys.

Now, time to do some inspections and sort finances, heh.

Thanks again!

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Tue May 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Dire wrote:I'd be worried if a manual was sluggish :P

The manual is fine, no complaints :) first is a little useless but in a FWD economy car it hardly matters. Oh and we all long for a 6th gear, but it is alright with 5...

I was a little worried when it was sluggish (others might not notice how sluggish but I'm one of those who gives it everything from the get go) but just decided that it must be the car and I'd ask about it at the service. I did mention it and now it's pretty damn fast off the line.

More gears aren't the answer really. Top is supposed to be the overdrive but unfortunately 6 gears just makes an extra gear to get through to get where you are now with 5. None of the manufacturers make top a true overdrive. Bit of a bugger :( Mazda 3s have 6 and a lot of the drivers whinge about that.

Julz9
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Julz9 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm a bit late with my response, but I have a MY10 VRX Manual with sunroof and absolutely love him. Having coming from a 6 cyclinder Commodore, I cannot fault the guts of the VRX engine. He gets me where I want to go..quickly!!
Julz9

Awesome Black VRX - Just love that car!

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”