***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Thinking of buying a CJ MY10 VR Hail Damaged...thoughts?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

yourmate89
INACTIVE Member Account

Thinking of buying a CJ MY10 VR Hail Damaged...thoughts?

Postby yourmate89 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi all, I'm new here :) I've never owned a Lancer or a Mitsubishi at all for that matter. I'm currently driving a 95 Statesman thats just clocked over to 300k's so as you can imagine shes gettin pretty tired, and things are starting to take a turn for the worst.

So I'm in the market for a newish car and have stumbled across a Lancer by accident as I was originally looking for a larger car... I'm wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts.

From what ive read up on them, they're pretty good cars and fairly zippy and fun to drive (compared to the army tank that i drive now!)

This one is mildly hail damaged 2010 VR Lancer Sedan, automatic, red, spoiler, all the standrad features of the VR, only done 9,000k's, under NCW til 2015 - and is going for $12k.

Is that pretty decent? It's practically brand new eh? any thoughts/advice would be appreciated :) Thanks!!

yourmate89
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby yourmate89 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:02 pm

That seems like a fantastic deal - almost too good, in fact. You'd need to check the damage. Depending on how bad it is, you can probably get a guy to do paintless dent removal and get most of them out for a pretty small fee (say $500). But I'd be hesitant as to why they are willing to sell it for so cheap. I'd wager it has also been in an accident.

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Mate I did exactly what you did. I bought a hail damaged vr with 2xxx kms on it for $13,000. My advice would be to inspect the hail damage and do a revs check to see if it is classed as a repairable write off. Mine has mildly damaged hood, roof and boot. Hardly noticeable unless you inspect the car close up. Hope it goes well

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:33 pm

I bought mine last year from the Perth hail auctions. Because it's silver they are hard to notice. It's also insured for more than I paid, they wouldn't let me insure it for less. If you don't mind a few dimples. GO FOR IT!

yourmate89
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby yourmate89 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 pm

cheers for the advice guys...

the bloke actually won the car in a raffle prior to the hail storm, so he's just keen to get a decent payout for his prize i guess haha.

would defs do a revs check though, to be sure.

how much did you pay for yours Nick? good price?

I'm pretty keen on it aye, would be nice to have a practically brand new car to fang around in! :D

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:05 pm

I paid $7500 for a 2008 ES with 20,000kms. It's a good buy mate. If you aren't really fussed about the dimples as i said, go for it. Just inquire about the insurance first. Also check that it didn't get flooded at all due to the storm. Check that the dents haven't caused any paint damage, so check for rust etc.

I think he bought it from the hail auctions to tell you the truth. I saw a VR very similar to that go for 10k, but that was at the auctions. I might be wrong but I have a feeling he is trying to make some money on it.

yourmate89
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby yourmate89 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Whoa 7,500 thats nuts... maybe im better off going to the auctions, as 12 was more than i originally wanted to spend... just seems too good to pass up :|

You may very well be right too... how many ppl actually win those raffle cars haha.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

They don't run the auctions any more, that was a few months ago and now people are putting them up for sale as they no longer want them and also believe they can make money on their purchases.

Just check out the damage. The guy up the top is wrong in saying it will only be around $500 to have the dents removed, it's around $100 a dent, that's why the cars were written off in the first place.

To be honest, that's a good price for it (mines the model under a VR so it would be more expensive). Just go check out the dents and make sure that it has had all it's services.

If you are going to buy it, just haggle the price, know your limit. There's no harm in trying.

I was a lucky one and I can't really see the dents on my car as there isn't many and also the colour is silver so I get away with it.

All the best and hopefully we will see you at some cruises soon in your Lancer, whether it's this one or another one.

Don't worry if you miss out on this one, another one will come up.

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 am

im not sure but just reffering to the tail lights, isnt the 2009 2010 supposed to have the black tail lights? i might be wrong but yea just something i noticed.

demon88
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby demon88 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 am

It's not a MY10, more like MY09... Get the VIN number to confirm
The demon within me.....

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 am

Nick07 wrote:The guy up the top is wrong in saying it will only be around $500 to have the dents removed, it's around $100 a dent, that's why the cars were written off in the first place.

I had 5 removed from my Lancer for $170. Without seeing it, it's incredibly difficult to even make a figure, so I pulled what I considered to be a fairly highish one out of my ass.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:59 am

That definately isn't a MY2010. Wrong wheels, dials and taillights.
Hopefully its just a late 09 sold in 2010, be sure to do the revs check (mine was made in 09 and is a MY2010 though).

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”