***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

MY08 VR-X Olympic Edition or MY09 Aspire??

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

jladesign
INACTIVE Member Account

MY08 VR-X Olympic Edition or MY09 Aspire??

Postby jladesign » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi
I've recently joined as i'm in desperate need of advice!!
I am looking at purchasing a Lancer around the $20 - $25k mark, but i can't decide between the MY08 VR-X Olympic Edition or MY09 Aspire.
I'm after the CVT Auto.
Would you be able to give me pointers on the difference between these models. The Olympic has the leather, Sat Nav, Dvd etc that the Aspire has but is an MY08, is there much difference between MY08 and MY09 other than the obviously increase from 2.0L to 2.4L??
Is the CVT any quieter? Better fuel etc?
Really appreciate all your thoughts!! :)
Cheers,

Jess

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Really besides the engine size I do not think there is any difference. The Olympic edition was the market test for the Aspire to see if a luxury pack lancer would sell here. If they are the same price or close I would go the Aspire as it has the bigger engine and is newer.

I have a 2.4l CVT VRX and I think it may use a little more fuel then a manual but at the same time I have a heavy foot, the CVT however is a lovely car if you are doing alot of long distance driving like I do. In terms of being quieter the gearbox has no effect on this, however the design of the CVT means you will get a moo like sound when accelerating. This moo is nothing really the engine on a CVT revs differently then a normal car, take one for a drive you will see that sometimes the revs stay the same while the car accelerates :) freaky :P

just SC
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby just SC » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Choose the 09 Aspire.
Its essentially the same thing one with less engine power and Aspire is newer.

But thats comparing apples to apples.

You got to take consideration on the kms, condition of the car etc.

But the one thing I sort of guess the Olympic has over the Aspire is rarity.
It was a limited edition of the time.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:22 pm

The Olympic Edition, I have. And it was a test mule for the Aspire when it came out. MMA tested the market using that car.

If price is not a factor, take the aspire.

The 0.4L of the engine isn't the main thing here since it'll make only a little difference in real world driving. The HIDs though are a huge difference. No other car has HIDs save for the Aspire and the Evo.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Yes as others have said I would choose the Aspire.

The Aspire has the larger engine, HID and active headlights.

The only thing the Olympic addition has is it is a limited edition model so it is rarer.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Obvious Choice : "AspiRe" *cool*

The original Lancer "Luxury-Type" Concept was thought-up in Japan in April 2008.
Further to this, Mitsu Aust (MMAL) conferred with Mitsu-Japan about a luxury test model preview/release to align with the up coming Chinese Olympic Games.

And so it was introduced as a luxury test model in the 3rd Quarter of 2008, to coincide with the 2008 Chinese Olympics which ran from Aug 8th - 24th.

Only 300 Olympic Edition's were prepared for the Australian test release, of which all sold within just over a month. Lancer Olympic Edition.

This immediate sale's response prompted Mitsubishi to perk-up the Olympic Edition by fitting the larger 2.4L engine from the Outlander, HID Head Lamps with AFS,
and Rockford Fosgate Sound System with MMCS as an introduction offer, and offering it as a re-named mainstream model now known as the Aspire.
Car Advice: Review: Aspire.

MMAL chose the Sydney International Motor Show to preview the Aspire, and released it for public sale at the conclusion of the show on 22nd Sept 2008.

The Olympic Edition was consequently discontinued officially in Aust a week later on 31st Aug 2008.

Uncle Sam :wink:
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

jladesign
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby jladesign » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:41 am

My car has now sold and i'm def keen to find the perfect Lancer for me!!
Does anyone know of any Olympics or Aspires for sale in QLD? I've checked Car Sales and there's only one of each, one which is sold and the other is black (not keen on a black car again!!)
Thanks for all your help
I really apprecaite any info you can give me!

lez73
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby lez73 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:20 pm

motorama mitsubishi at moorooka have a red 09 aspire with 20 inch rims, 30.000 on the clock for 27990. its on there website if you want to check it out

jladesign
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby jladesign » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 am

lez73 wrote:motorama mitsubishi at moorooka have a red 09 aspire with 20 inch rims, 30.000 on the clock for 27990. its on there website if you want to check it out

Hmmm a little bit over my price range but will def check out the motorama site also :)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Just saw one Olympic Edition in Black today at Mazda Glen Waverley VIC. Now can't quite remember the pricing and kms.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”