***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Buying interstate...

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Buying interstate...

Postby zeroshift » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm looking at prices to get a Lancer interstate - they appear to be much cheaper (up to $2K) than NSW. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I take the plunge? For instance, I've heard something about there being an extra stamp duty (on top of the standard used car stamp duty) to get your registration swapped between states. It's going to cost me about $850 to get is transported from WA. Can anyone enlighten me?

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 am

I know atleast when i brought my old ralliart from qld to nsw i had to go into the RTA and grab some paperwork and then had to sort out blue/green slip and re-register the car. It's a bit of pain in the arse really though I don't know how it's done if you did it through a dealer - you could ask if they were willing to send the car up to a Nsw dealer and buy it from there, would probably save you a lot of the hassles as they would then sort out all that crap for you. I didint have to pay double stamp duty.

theBIGbang
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby theBIGbang » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:22 pm

If you buy it from a dealer they can do whats known as registering on permit - basically you don't pay rego in the state you purchase in, you have 5 days to drive home and register it. Just something else to consider.

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 pm

depends really on what you want how rare the car is but if its a normal lancer. for example i bought my car from nsw because it was atleast 7k cheaper than the one in victoria. in my point of view if its going to be cheaper by 2k but consider about car transport. car transport+insurance+waiting time , insurance is going to a bit higher as the car is not registered. in the end you might save about $500-600. and plus the car regardless of being on a transport it will still cop bugs + stone chips unless you go the really expensive covered ones. i think you will have to pay double for that kind of service.

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: Buying interstate...

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:42 pm

zeroshift wrote:I'm looking at prices to get a Lancer interstate - they appear to be much cheaper (up to $2K) than NSW. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I take the plunge? For instance, I've heard something about there being an extra stamp duty (on top of the standard used car stamp duty) to get your registration swapped between states. It's going to cost me about $850 to get is transported from WA. Can anyone enlighten me?

I thought about doing the same thing when searching for a Ralliart. But enquired with the RTA and its going to cost you around $2k or more to transfer rego over. Just save the hassle and buy a car in NSW if its only $2k or a little bit over.

Good luck

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:23 pm

What about buying in WA and driving it home to VIC? The car would already have WA registration, so is a transfer to VIC rego all that is required?

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:52 pm

I don't think you can register a car in WA without owning a home here from what I understand. I enquired about the opposite situation i.e. buying from east and shipping it west, and that's what I was told. Plus you'd be paying for rego twice.

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 pm

I was looking at this car
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dea ... D7A227B5B9

So would I have to get temporary registration through the dealer to drive it home?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 pm

With a car that is already registered, you would purchase the car. Transfer the rego over to the new state and get a refund of the remainder of the cars previous rego.

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Alright thanks guys

monotif
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby monotif » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 am

On a related note, does anyone know just when we are considered to have 'taken up residency' in a new state?

I'm currently based in VIC but will be moving interstate soon. In the meantime however, I'm interested in a new Lancer. I know I can re-register and get a refund on my VIC rego, but I'd prefer to keep my VIC plates.

Additionally, I'll still spend about 4 months per year in VIC, and have an address here. Hence I'm pretty sure there won't be any trouble with the authorities? I'm actually more concerned about any insurance issues though. Thanks

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”