***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Friends possible lancer purchase (advice needed)

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

AshOz85
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Friends possible lancer purchase (advice needed)

Postby AshOz85 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Hey all,

my friend recently had his car written off and is possiblly lookin to purchase a used lancer, he has spotted these two locally here in canberra and was looking for some advice on prices.

2008 VR

http://www.csndealers.carsales.com.au/c ... DFF99C5130

2009 RX

http://www.csndealers.carsales.com.au/c ... DFF9B0AE6F

The RX has additional fog lamps, chrome tip and tow bar options installed which is a bonus. What would be the best choice price and resell wise? I would think the VR would be better for resale as its a higher end model but its also a year older than the RX and with more km's. Also i personally dont like the older tailights on that VR I think the new clear blacked out ones are much nicer.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:54 pm

I'd say the following should be considered in the order presented:

1. Color - Black and White are as different as Coal and Chalk
2. The fact that the VR has dusk sensing headlights and rain sensing wipers? You can't add those on while the fog, chrome and tow bar you can add yourself.
3. Resale - Not necessary that VR has better value. It depends on the overall condition of the car.
4. VR has been debadged it seems
VR has sideskirts. RX doesn't.
VR has audio control on steering. RX doesn't.
RX has the 2010 tail lamps clear design.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:37 pm

At that price for the RX, I'd rather spend the extra $4k or so and get a brand new SX. It's driveaway and you get the 10 year powertrain warranty.

AshOz85
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby AshOz85 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:10 am

@danny - I always thought all CJ lancers have the 10 powertrain warranty, 95% sure ive got it with my 2009 MY10 RX. Correct me if im wrong here.

@ofey - thanks for the pointers there, i did notice the debadgin of the VR actually. But couldnt remember what else the VR had as extra kit compared to the RX besides audio controls and side skirts.

Ive had look on carsales and the prices seem to be pretty consistent with most other similar conditoin lancers there.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on it?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 am

The extra 5 years warranty is not transferrable.

I don't think you even get it on a demo model.

Loki
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Loki » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Might need to look into it because I was told the warranty was transferable.

If it's only 4k off the price of a new car, in my opinion you should consider buying new. Less expensive hassles.
You know that you have really got to someone when they invest personal time into tracking you down all over the internet.

You know who you are :)

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:38 pm

The 10 year powertrain warranty is not transferable as far as I know. At least, that's what the dealer told me.
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:38 pm

This is just an example, but I would purchase this sort of car for $4k more.

Edit: Can't get the link working, but if you search for Mitsubishi Lancers between $20k and $25k, brand new with CVT, you'll find a fair amount of SXes.

You can probably shave $1k off or ask for more features. If the fog lights and towbar are absolutely necessary, try to haggle for that.
On the plus side, you get rego and onroad costs.

Yeah the 10 year powertrain warranty is not transferrable.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:37 pm

In my opinion you should either go right back and get the oldest+lowest km+best looking CJ you can or go new. Theres no point floating around in the middle...

AshOz85
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby AshOz85 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:03 am

thanks for all the help peeps, club cj comes through with the goods again. ill have a chat to him and discuss the options with him, see what he thinks.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 am

Don't know if I'm helping but I bought my manual 2011 SX for $21400 ($20,990 + pretty blue paint) last week. It was a 2011 for the price of the 2010 runout but probably could have got it cheaper in the city but anyhoo....the point here is add an extra $2500 that's the extra they charge for anything that isn't a manual and you have a rather nice little car with usb, bluetooth with controls on the steering wheel and all the good stuff for well under $24000. That's about the price of a Mazda 3 Neo auto without all of the good stuff. I know because I've sat in them all in the last couple of weeks.

Unfortunately the SX doesn't have fog lamps, side skirts or dusk sensing headlamps or rain sensing wipers but who really cares. It does come with a rear wing spoiler :)

Also the 5 yr New Car Warranty is transferable but the 10 yr drivetrain warranty isn't.

You also get 5 yr free roadside assist where they send the NRMA out to you for free for 5 yrs.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”