***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Paint Chip Stories?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

monotif
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby monotif » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:22 am

Found this thread while researching the Lancer paint on Google, and boy am I glad I found an Aussie community.

Planning to buy a white Lancer as well, but given that premium paint is not offered with white, I was concerned that it might turn yellow-ish over time. Any current owners willing to comment?

My other choice would be red with premium metallic, but the SX 16" alloys somehow look tiny on the red. :(

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 am

The white paint will last just as long as any other paint mate, the reason the other paints are marked as "Premium" is that they contain metallics and pearls giving Mitsubishi as reason to charge more.

Scott
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:15 pm

reading all these posts i am a bit worried but i have a mate who is a paintless dent removal guy so i guess im covered *clap2*

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 pm

I got couple of chips on my bonnet and one of the door :(

I bought a Touch up paint from Mitsu today, but the red in the Touch up paint seems a lot darker than the car one though :(

Got a dent today, someone was recklessly pushing trolley I guess :(

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:28 am

I've been having problem with that since I got mine at Jan 2011, worst paint job ever seen on new car, they are so soft that any tiny sand can make a hole in it, i've been using touchup paint on my bonnet and polished it to blend it in, to the point that I would rather leave it dusty so I can't see the chips anymore, I bought it in black thought the chip wouldn't show up as clear, but they are so bloody soft and thin that I can see the white/light grey primer every time it chips, it really pisses me off on a new car, it has a lot more chip than my other car which is 6 years, and I've never driven it offroad or anything. very disappointed at Mitsu. Don't get me wrong i still love my CJ, but Mitsu should do something about it, respray for all maybe? lol

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:10 am

RAwannabe wrote:Ive been having problem with that since I got mine at Jan 2011, worst paint job ever seen on new car, they are so soft that any tiny sand can make a hole in it, ive been using touchup paint on my bonnet and polished it to blend it in, to the point that I would rather leave it dusty so I cant see the chips anymore, I bought it in black thought the chip wouldnt show up as clear, but they are so bloody soft and thin that I can see the white/light grey primer every time it chips, it really pisses me off on a new car, it has a lot more chip than my other car which is 6 years, and Ive never driven it offroad or anything. very disappointed at Mitsu. Dont get me wrong i still love my CJ, but Mitsu should do something about it, respray for all maybe? lol

I think we can just dream on Andrew :( The paint is very soft but it's not just on these. There are the same complaints on my Mazda forum about all of their cars. Even the luxury models and the RX8s. Some of the RX8 buyers are putting theirs on car trailers and taking them straight to the panel shop to get resprayed with a really hard clear top coat to protect the paint. Got to get in before it's touched the road or there are chips.

Someone said somewhere that the Evos have a better paint job. Wouldn't know. Maybe one day I'll be able to inspect one properly rather than just watch them pass me and fly down the highway :)

My dealer put some protective plastic strips on mine between the back door and the wheel arch and on the bottom of the back doors to stop paint chips there. It's not as pretty as it was but at least there are less chips.

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Will paint protection help?

I'm going to get some tint done on my car, and saw a package for 399 with darkest legal tint and paint protection.

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:28 pm

no it doesn't work, the Dealer sold me the permenent pain protection and I am still getting bird drop marks and loads of chips on mine, save the money for better paint job later down the track, paint protection is useless

Bags
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bags » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 pm

I have a few small chips on my bonnet already, its really annoying.

mitsuturbo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsuturbo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm pretty pissed with all the stone chips on my car, will be respraying my bonnet and front bar eary next year. I do drive alot in the country for work but my last car had hardly any chips.
(i think mine might be one of the most chipped going around.)

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Geez. It is chipped isn't it. The car companies need to be shot. Honestly. In the late 90s a lot of the cars had paint that used to peel. It didn't matter how expensive the cars are.

mitsuturbo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsuturbo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:40 pm

yeah soon i'll change my cars colour in the clubcj garage to grey with some red patches. :cry:

sleepy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 am

RAwannabe wrote: ive been using touchup paint on my bonnet and polished it to blend it in, to the point that I would rather leave it dusty so I cant see the chips anymore,

Do the paint chips reoccur (on the same spot) once the touch up paint has been applied? Ill be getting a black lancer soon and will most likely face this issue too...

goatio
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby goatio » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:50 am

that is some pretty heavy chipping.
mines like that on the skirt splats area - quite the eye sore
mods 2 date =
k&n h/f filter
darkest legal tint
avanti tallons 18/8"
federals ss 235/40
hell braided brake lines
blaaack calipers
whiteline sport swaybars F/R
bendix ultimate b/p's front
RA calliper stickers
red badges
boost gauge
RA peddles
more on their way...

princesskelsey
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby princesskelsey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm

It seems to be a lancer thing. My previous car a black suzuki swift never chipped as easy as my Lancer does and i seem to notice it more on the red then I ever did on the black. It's so frustrating.

Does anyone think its worth getting it detailed to try get some of the marks out or am I wasting my time?

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”