***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help me decide, vrx or aspire?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:13 am

Congrats on your new purchase, I also have the OEM sensors fitted and they do go off when backing out of the driveway But it doesn't really bother me. I find them really handy when useful and as Troy has said are even better when used in combination with the rear camera.

If you are thinking of adding the rear camera, add it yourself later on, don't get the dealer to do it as the position they put it in looks ugly. I have the OEM camera, but I fitted it just above the number plate and you can't even see it and it works great.

Just1more
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Just1more » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:56 am

Goran, have you got a pic of where yours is fitted? Thanks :)

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Here's mine Lins

These Smart Park ones are so good I only need two, and they will detect upto 1/2 meter either side of the car.

PS: That's my Reverse Camera above the V

Sam
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

Just1more
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Just1more » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks Sam :)

Do you find the reverse camera useful? My dealer said it is fishbowl like and distorts distances and tried to put me off it (mustn't earn much commission lol) - might get one aftermarket if they are any good, I like the idea of it in the shook and shops carparks to see any tearaway little ones.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:43 pm

There is a slight fish bowl effect, however your going to find that with most after-market cameras anyway.

I would stick with the Mitsu camera because it's wiring loom is wired to connect directly into the rear of the MMCS and activate when Reverse gear is selected.

You can modify after-market cameras to do the same, however it will take some fiddling around with the wiring to make it work properly, if at all.
Alternative after-market Reverse Cameras are covered some where in this forum, but I'm not sure where, do a search.

Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Yes reverse camera have a very wide lens angle which makes it really hard to measure distances. That is what the reverse sensors are good for.

I just like the fact that I know there is no child behind me as I can see the blind spots.

I found with my camera I can reverse up to a line and get the bumper right on to the line.

IMHO the reverse camera is a must for any one with a MMCS but it must be fitted above the number plate as per my how to and not on the trunk where Mitsubishi instruction tell you.

Some dealers now fit them as per my how to as they also think it is better.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Yes your right Troy, I know that Sydney City Mitsu now mount the camera above the Number plate ever since the Service Manager saw mine.

They even fit that way when they fit the after-market MMCS and Reverse Camera on the lower spec Lancer models with the sports body kits and upgraded wheels.

Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Just1more wrote:Goran, have you got a pic of where yours is fitted? Thanks :)

The install thread can be found HERE

Here's a few pics of my install

Image Image

Image Image

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Just1more wrote:Thanks Sam :)

Do you find the reverse camera useful? My dealer said it is fishbowl like and distorts distances and tried to put me off it (mustn't earn much commission lol) - might get one aftermarket if they are any good, I like the idea of it in the shook and shops carparks to see any tearaway little ones.

Here's one of my posts from the thread link I posted above.
Aspired wrote:Its getting dark, so not a very good pic.
You can see the top of my bumper along the bottom and you can see all the way to the end of my driveway, a bit of the house accross the road and a bit of the sky. My driveway is close to 14mtrs long.

If you want to see further back, you can angle the camera up a bit, but I want to see things that are close to the back of the car, not things over 10mtrs behind me, I use the mirrors for that.

The car you can see on the side is about 1.5mtrs to the side of the car and the bumper is almost in line with the back of my car, about 1mtr back.

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:12 pm

My reverse sensors was fitted by the dealer and ready when I picked up my car, they positioned them quite nicely above the plates (see pic below). Got my car from Suttons, guess they know how bothersome the sensors would be if positoned lower. The picture was taken right on the day I picked up the car last May 2010.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”