***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Mazda3 or Lancer ?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:53 pm

owned a sp23 before than lancer.. imo the 3 had:
- better interior finish
- better paint

Cant really compare performance of a sp23 to the ralliart but yeh :)

Choke86
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Choke86 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:07 pm

I think all Mazdas are 6-monthly service intervals? Which means more expensive services compared to a Lancer?

Did not like that!

Otherwise its a personal choice, Mazda has better interior but Lancer looks is just different :)

Might want to look at VW Golf as well?

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:11 am

08VET wrote:Mazda = Girl's car

Lancer = Cool

Of course i am biased but the girl thing is true ! ;)

Oh and modified lancer>modified mazda 3

xD

Nah but seriously i don't think you can go wrong whatever decision you make. A close friend of mine has a Mazda 3 and they are both beautiful cars !

i couldnt agree more! lol
a workmate has a mazda 3, i of course my lancer. He also has a injen CAI, and an exhaust manifold upgrade. i only have the injen.
My lancer is WAY more nimble. the exhaust is much better, and the air intakes(stock-intake) is far superior to the mazda.
m-3 sounds like a buzz box, lancer sounds nicer in hard accelerating.
Also, the lancer is FAR safer. yes, its a little noisier cabin, but, its got 3 front SRS, side and curtain bags standard on all new models now.

AND- lancer CVT's, can have paddle-shifters fitted! game over! :)
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

jolly_tas
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jolly_tas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:42 am

Sister in-law has a 3 in auto and they are very happy with it, but saying that, some people rave about a Kia Rio! :shock: The only way you will know is to take them both for a drive. It's a personal choice. Take as many cars in your price range as you can for a drive over varying roads. You will know.

IMO the Lancer and 3 would be both on par as far as factory problems go as they have good heritage these days. The 3 looks and feels smaller than the Lancer. We like the aggressive look of the Lancer and within the first 15mins of the test drive we both knew it was the car. It just clicked..... if you know what I mean.

That's my 2cents worth. Enjoy shopping and enjoy what you end up with.

MyVRX08
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby MyVRX08 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:15 am

My cousin has a 2007 Mazda 3 red manual and before buying my lancer in 2008 I test drive his car on many many occasions before being settled at Lancer. These are my reviews.
1) Their is no doubt that the quality of the interior is better than entry lancers but not better than VRX's.
2) Mazda 3 has a better auto transmission response than lancers.
3) But when talking Manual Transmission then you can see the real power difference and its quiet noticeable.
4) There servicing is far expensive than the lancers and trust me on this point. Normal service is almost double as compared to Lancers and major ones are bit more. His major service at 30K costed him almost $800 as compared to $340 for mine.
5) Mazda 3 has better resale value as compared to Lancers bt

MyVRX08
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby MyVRX08 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:36 am

5) Mazda's have definitely better resale than lancers but it only matters if you are already thinking of changing your car in next 5 years and if not do not worry too much because the 5 year warranty and 10 year power terrain warranty will not let you get rid of your lancer.

6) Fuel Economy I will say it depends on an individuals driving but i feel its almost same but I personally felt better in my Lancer when on long drives.

7) Lancers are more comfortable while driving but Mazda has better handling.

8) I didn't like the shape of the new Mazda 3 and that again depends on individuals taste. I like the old one but as someone already mentioned no point buying a new old car.

10) Lancer is bit more noisier on bad roads as compared to Mazda but the engine noise is much lesser in Lancers and its very quiet on nicer roads.

And most important is that you have to feel both the cars and they will tell you the rest.

Whichever you decide both are best.

Good Luck!!!

Romz
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Romz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:01 am

My wife said that the new Maz3 looks like a curvy Lancer. She's kinda right, think about it. The tail lights, the front grill. So, to further support someone elses remark, the 3 looks like a girls car, because they look like a girl. I like the curves on a girl too, but I'm not gonna have a boob job. I'll leave them for the women.
Oh yeah, and they're also high maintenance.... like a girl.
My cat smells like cat food

Itachi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Itachi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:52 am

When I was buying my car it was between the Mazda 3 SP25 and the Lancer VRX.

My Uncle has the Mazda SP25 (hatch) and I (obviously) ended up with the Lancer VRX.

Well to be perfectly honest, the Mazda is a "better" car. Before I go into details I'll make this statement: If you want to modify your car, go for the lancer. If not, go for the Mazda. Why?

The finish of the interior is better, a little bit less plastic than the Lancer.

I test drove both and have been driving mine and been a passenger in the 3 very frequently and the Mazda is quicker from the factory.

The paint on the Lancer is horrible and I already have chips in it from city driving, I haven't seen any on my uncle's car (and he does lots of driving and not just in the city).

Mazda has 6mth service intervals at around $250 a service, Lancer is 1 yr interval at $195.

Lancer has 18" wheels, Mazda has 17".
The Mazda sits lower from the factory, so if you just upgrade to 18" it will
look perfect.

Some people hate the "smiley" face of the Mazda, but I actually think it suits the car and looks pretty good. The Lancer is better though (we will come back to this).

The body kit of the Mazda is more complete than the Lancer. The SP25 comes standard with dual exhaust (which I love) and the front has those two "air vent" things on the side that look very sporty. The lancer VRX looks like it has an aftermarket kit from the factory, so better for modding, but not for a sleek, finished look. The Lancer tail lights (sedan only!) are brilliant, but the Mazda ones are LED and a bit flashier.

If you get the Mazda you can opt for leather seats and a bose sound system for $2500. When I got my car this really put me off, but now that I have modded my lancer I realise how little that is and it should not deter you, it is worth it because the bose sounds awesome :)

Ok, so why the hell did I buy the Lancer?

I wanted and Evo and couldn't afford it :P

But seriously, my brain (and my parents :P) told me to buy the Mazda 3 SP25 because it was the better car, but my heart just wanted that aggressive look of the Lancer. I also didn't want the same car as my uncle, I like having unique things.

I still look at Mazda's as they go past and think about what could have been, and sometimes I feel stupid for not getting one, keeping it stock (except for wheels) and not having to worry about warranty issues with mods etc. But then I see my car, and I forget all about that. There is just something about the car that makes it awesome, maybe it is the EVO heritage, or maybe it is that it is modded into "my" car, who knows...

So if you bothered reading all that (sorry for the rant :oops:) then you will see that it is a very personal choice and sometimes what looks better on paper isn't in real life.

I also agree with what someone said above that you should look at the Golf (but only GTI or R :P)
Like my car? Follow my fitness blog!

http://www.littleguylifting.com/

sunstealth
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby sunstealth » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:18 am

beeing completely honest I should've wait when i bought my lancer in late 2007, this car has deceived me, poor performance in snow,not that good fuel economy, wind noise, small trunk lid, poor resale value, dealership service are mediocre, parts are REALLY expensive.

3 months after i bought my lancer the new kia coupe came out as well as the ford fusion in the same week, for the same price i would have been better with either ones.

For now i would wait for the new 2011 KIA optima, pretty good looking, 4 banger turbo running on 87,spacious ,pretty luxurious depending on trim and inexpensive for a car that competes with the accord!

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 am

I just sold my VR-X as I felt the interior build quality was nothing short of diabolical. Panels didnt fit correctly and subsequently squeaked, the top section of the A pillars for example didnt join nicely with the lower half of the interior trim instead there was an ugly gap of "nothing". Interior noise was HUGE weather it be engine drone, wind or road noise. The paint is as thin as tapwater and very soft too so dont expect the lancer to stay looking sharp for long.

I looked at all the hatches at a similar price to the VRX:

VW Polo GTI - Very good build quality, felt like any high end merc. Not huge amounts of power though.

VW Golf TDI - Again fantastic build quality, Nice interior and mountains of torque. It still wasnt quick though, the turbo would kick in and you get pushed into your seat but you dont really "take off" as you do in a petrol turbo.

Focus assort models: All crap cheap and nasty build. The door handles feel like bits of milk carton. Inside you sit VERY high in the cabin which killed any "hot hatch" feelings for me.

Subaru Impreza RS: Now Ive lived with a WRX the last year, I have to say I hate it. Within 3 months we were looking at choping it in for something with *some or any* interior build quality. The subi simply has none, nasty plastic everywhere with poor quality clips means bits can fall off even in normal daily use. Ive had to reclip the drivers sideskirts in on numerous occasion while cleaning it! Ofcourse thats a WRX experience and not a RS although there similar inside.

Then somehow I landed in a renault garage and found my new baby. The renault sport clio 197. I got a dealer demo so it priced itself around the 30k mark. Interior quality is very good, granted the interior is pretty basic, you get recaro seats, racing steering wheel and thats pretty much it - the car is designed with track use in mind-.
Performance wise it smoked pretty much all of the N/A engines I tried, nice torquey happy revving little 4 pot. The most important thing I liked about it was how it handles, Go kart is the easiest way of putting it!

Its all very subjective, some people would call me fussy and Id have to agree with them, noises, rattles and squeaks kill me. I expect alot from a car which rules a fair few choices out. Go to the stealers and test drive them all, youd be surprised with what you might come home with, I certainly was.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:32 am

i reckon Mazda 3 MPS instead of the Mazda 3 itself but i am still happy with my lancer so no body get me wrong

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:44 am

MPS3 is also about 5-10k more than a SP25

i looked at the Mazda 3 SP25, but i got my VRX for 25k and value for money you could not beat that.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”