***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Advice on a new Lancer purchase?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Nelga
INACTIVE Member Account

Advice on a new Lancer purchase?

Postby Nelga » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I've been considering a new Lancer for a while now, and have been stalking this forum for just as long. So I finally signed up and thought I'd get some first hand advice!

I've taken a few test drives in the CVT Lancer VR-X and loved it. Thought it was miles ahead of other cars for the same price. I'd had a few offers around 30k, but after reading some threads thought even that was a little high.

But now I'm starting to change my mind when I noticed the Aspire is only slightly more, but has leather seats and sat-nav. Could i please get some advice on a few things?

1. Is it possible to add the VR-X spoiler to the Aspire when purchasing? How would I go about asking the dealer, and how much extra might that add to the price?

2. Does anyone have any gripes or praise about the Aspire? I've heard the sat-nav feels a lil flimsy.

3. I'm probably going to buy new, but wondered if there was a new model about to be released. MY12? Or a whole line refresh in the works? And when that might happen - how much longer would i be holding off?

4. Would anyone have any advice on the price i should be aiming for when haggling with the dealer?

Thanks so much for your help, can't wait to hear back.
Glen

rayray
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby rayray » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi Glen,

To answer a few of your questions:

1. I believe it is possible to add the VRX spoiler from the dealer to your car..but another cheaper option would be to purchase the VRX spoiler from our sponsor, X-Factor Design which has a near OEM quality VRX spoiler for a lot cheaper.

3. Generally speaking MY12 wont come out until September-October.

4. Have a look at this thread:

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=812&h ... hase+price

That shows the price other members have purchased their CJ for and it should help to give you a good indication of the price range.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:48 pm

1.Yes

2. MMCS is a real disappointment. It could be so great but most of the options are turned off or you can not use them when the car is in motion.

3. New models are released around September every year. So at the moment the newest model is a MY11. Be careful there may be some MY10 in some dealers.

4. Not sure of prices in Sydney but haggle as many dealers as possible and use them against each other as well as Toyota and Mazda. Prices are normally best at the end of the month or the year. January always have good sales to get rid of last years stock but often you are limited to colours.

Other great feature of the Aspire are HID headlights.

Best of luck.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:48 pm

ok, first Welcome.

if you you were already looking at the CVT VRX the Aspire is an option, if your happy to pay the extra for Leather and Sat-nav then go for it.

Yes you can put the VRX Wing on

and good luck

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm

1. Anything you add at the dealers is a way for them to claw money out of you. You might want to consider going along to one of the NSW meets and seeing cars with the different spoilers and then decide. Our sponsor X-Factor has a very nice EVO spoiler which helps with rear view visibility

2. No. If you can afford it, you should go for it. The purists will tell you that it's unfortunately CVT with NO option for a manual but the HIDs alone make it more worthwhile.

I've never had a problem with the MMCS in my Olympic Edition. I think it's one of the better stock GPSs on the market

I fear your major problem is if you buy can afford an Aspire, An ex-demo RA is not very far away either. The main gripe alot of us on this forum have is the decision between turbo and NA. We all wished we had a RA.

3. MY12 will PROBABLY be the last refresh of the current CJ I suspect and that will complete the cycle. If you want a new shape. Try 2013. Unless Mitsu decide to take a leaf out of the Honda Civic playbook and keep the shape for what is now 7 years with no new design anywhere near.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Seen ads for dealers clearing MY10 Ralliarts for $35000- $38000 trying to make room for the MY11s.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Nelga
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Nelga » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks guys, this is really great info. Reassuring too.

Yeah i've got to say the RA's are great too... and under 40 for 2010? That's pretty sweet deal.

That's a real pity about the MMCS, especially if you can't operate it in motion. Is there any hack to get around that or 'make it better'? Be good to see one in motion, and what it can actually do, but there don't seem to be any videos on youtube.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:12 am

There is an over-ride kit so you can use the MMCS functions while driving except the dvd.

Not cheap though.

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Not sure of the price difference between the VRX and the aspire in regards to the extra leather seats and MMCS but have a look at an after market PMR (Preston Motors Ralliart) Interior upgrade. Mitch has it done to his and looks heaps better than the VRX.

Just food for thought.
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 am

The Aspire seems to be considerably dearer than the VR-X. Price is approaching Ralliart territory, which is, I should say, twice the Lancer. You don't even get a boot lip in what's supposedly the highest non-turbo CJ variant. I only appreciate the chrome and MMCS; otherwise VR-X is the way to go. You can ask our buying genius ofey on how you can get the MMCS cheaper if you're interested.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

CA
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby CA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Where abouts in Sydney are you located? I can prolly help you out.

Thing is this, you can either get

MY10 at a cheaper price if they still have some
or MY11 a close to the regular price

Obviously they would want to get rid of the MY10 so would do better on the price. It might be MY10 but complied 2011.

MMCS is a pain sometimes, but for a stock system its not bad.

Glenjimen
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Glenjimen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:42 pm

CA wrote:Where abouts in Sydney are you located? I can prolly help you out.

Thing is this, you can either get

MY10 at a cheaper price if they still have some
or MY11 a close to the regular price

Obviously they would want to get rid of the MY10 so would do better on the price. It might be MY10 but complied 2011.

MMCS is a pain sometimes, but for a stock system its not bad.

My VR better be proper MY11 spec with key and colour screen otherwise they can stick it back on the truck or on the lot. Friend of mine got the VRX late last year think its a MY10 but complied MY11 (or vice versa) and dont recall his having the colour screen so when I saw the screen in the brochure I am like Wow ( salesmen even had to get his copy out and look it up when i was asking did it have smart key and colour screen when he was reading he is like "Sh*t top stuff")

falcon15500
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby falcon15500 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:58 pm

The VR I just bought was a 2010 made MY11 model. It was the last the dealer had that had been manufactured in 2010, so they really wanted to shift it. In the end, they discounted it quite heavily (it was the cheapest I could find in the state). Having just had a look on carsales, there's still a few around going cheap.

And yes, it's got the colour screen (higher resolution too), smartkey, auto folding mirrors and bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. :)

M.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”