***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

EVO IX Vs CJ RA

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

EVO IX or CJ RA?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:41 pm

EVO IX
32%
CJ RA
68%

Total votes: 31

evolution_1988
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

EVO IX Vs CJ RA

Postby evolution_1988 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Hey everyone,

Been a memeber for quite a while, however havent really felt the need (or place) to post or comment on anything seeing as I currently do not own a CJ Lancer :P

Within the next couple of months I am planning on getting a "new" car and for quite some time Ive been researching the RA. Of course everyone wants the EVO X, however budget and the aspect of a DD have drawn me to the RA.

However, I have always loved the EVO IX. And seeing as they are around the same price (~35K for EVO IX and low milage RA), the choice has become slightly harder.

I would like to hear your opinions on the matter, as Im sure many of you (more so those with an RA :P) have been in this situation before.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:47 pm

The simplest point it boils down to between your 2 choices is:

Do you want to drive a stick shift?

If so buy the IX.
There are NO manual RAs.

The AWD on the RA came off an Evo IX and creature comforts off the new generation CJs.

If you're not bothered about the shift, then I strongly suggest you get the RA.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

The Cj would come with better safety and the 10 year warranty by Mitsu. That alone would be enough to persuade me over that way.

You also have to remember that second hand Evo's might have been treated rather harsh, Im not saying everyone with an Evo smashes the crap out of it but lets face it there are a fair few that would get a complete arsekicking

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:01 pm

IMO I would always buy the new car, but honestly with a lot of the electronic governors and limiters today on performance cars even if the EVO has been driven hard provided it is still stock it should be fine.

evolution_1988
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby evolution_1988 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for the input ofey.

TBH I actually prefer the SST (although not having test driven any yet), I have driven a Golf GTI with the optioned DSG and enjoyed it.

I guess my only concern with the RA IS the transmission though... Although I am aware that you can get SSP Clutch kits to improve the power handling capacity of the transmission, I have also read that the transmissions can suffer from random defects such as jerky changes and noise/whines, that although sound horrible but are a normal thing.

While this car will be a DD, I want to reach about 300WHP reliably. While the RA and SST is still "new", those that are pushing 300HP+, I believe havent given enough evidence of the transmission being able to maintain this. But I guess you have to comprise part wear if you're trying to push for more power :P

Hope to hear from more people. Thanks :)

Hecky
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Hecky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:13 pm

I test drove a IX, VIII MR even a VII GTA (the self shifter) and I just couldn't get over the idea that all the above had been driven hard and or tracked. The RA in the end won because
1 it was brand new
2 factory warranty
3 easier to live with (fold down seats etc)
4 less likely to be stolen (lower insurance premium)
HKS/AMS/GFB/MRT/K&N/DBA
Whiteline/Ultra-Racing/Rexpeed/Autometer/Yokohama Racing/Cusco
...and some other stuff which the fun police don't approve of... :)

evolution_1988
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby evolution_1988 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks Chubb and liam92. The concern of driving a 2nd hand performance car in regards to how "hard" its been driven has also been brought to my attention. However, I believe that the 4G63 has proven itself as a very reliable and strong built engine, so I would only be concerned with the transmission and clutch. Clutch of course being quite easy to replace, in comparsion to the gearbox lol

Chubb you are right, there are so many electronic governors on modern cars, for instance (read the over day) the EVO X MR has a limiter for 1st gear, reducing throttle body opening to 45% @ WOT. Something that the RA does not have :S

I am leaning towards the RA slightly more. I do want to modify it, but I believe that if I got an EVO IX, I would modify that ALOT and therefore no longer be a DD. I already have plans for a track car and therefore really want something reliable but also fun :D

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm

I can't say for sure that the RA is the best reliable car as there has been cases of a faulty SST transmission which are most likely factory issues as it happened on stock RA/MR.

Apart from that, the SST on the RA is spot on for daily driving and some fun. If your thinking of simple bolt-ons , the RA will do fine with it but if you were to tune it and go further , it'll void warranty which is not the best thing to do since its a daily.

RA = Nicer to live in everyday , nice SST clutch for easy traffic drive and a new car with warranty and guaranteed noone messed with it.
IX = Raw power , huge mod list and ability , looks mean as hell with the right mods.
Lancer Evolution 10MR

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Ferdinand,
i have a RA, so i guess i`m biased :)

its been tuned to 170kwatw so far and i have had no problems with the transmission whatsoever, there is not a hint of whines/noises, and jerky changes?, sure, in sport mode while u tickle the throttle, but in normal mode its smoooooooth, i love it :)

its so much fun to drive, and drive hard :)

but it dont have the raw power of an evo.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

ecl27
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby ecl27 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm

I was in the same boat as you. Evo 9 or RA. Evo 9 has way more street cred and RA just seems to ppl like a try hard evo. I choose the RA at the end as its newer and has a better warrenty. The RA is hands down the best daily driving car as you can switch between modes and the suspension is not has hard as an evo 9.

If your not into hard HP numbers but want something fun to drive then its RA. I got the 2010 model, one thing that pisses me off is that it never came with options. No rockford, no recaros and no hids. Only thing they had was sat nav which it a bit over priced.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 pm

That being said, if what you really want is a car which you can mod up with ease and drive really hard, you can't go past the Evo 9 which is much more chuckable, has plenty of potential, etc..

If you're planning on getting something else as a track car, then the RA makes a far better DD.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:59 pm

stiffening suspension is about a grand, that tightens them right up
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

billy boy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billy boy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 pm

it's a tough choice ;) i did go through the same process before getting my RA - i was tossing up a lightly modded ix, looked at how to get a ix wagon (that would have been my first choice by far, but twas a no go due to sevs) or a RA. what won me out was the sst and the hatch. i haven't looked back at all and loved getting a new car and all that comes with that.

i've taken my RA on the track and will be doing even more so and it handles great (post mods), if you want to target that 300hp, you'll end up spending around $15k on mods (power, plus rims/tyres/coilovers/swaybars etc)

it is an awesome little car and now i look at the ix and think how dated etc it is, i have never regretted my choice :) (well, unless you count that the ix wagon could never be brought in lol)
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...

spareparts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby spareparts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:27 pm

i was along the same lines when i was think about getin my RA... 1 of the things that convinced me is the fact that the ES CJ has a more ridget chassie then the evo 9.... cant rember buy how much but they did meanioned it at the lancer lunch i went to.... i didnt quite trust the 4b11 as it being a new engine as well but they seem to be holdin up with big power to.... the sst wise well look at arutha's evo x its sst and he has got some big numbers down to the ground with his.... i have also sold the parts to build 3 evo 9 6 speeds koz they aint the strongest... most guys with 9s and want big pwr end up puting evo 8 5 speeds in....
the voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas :D:D
..... If streets could talk they would Beg For Mercy!!! 151.6kw & 330nm @ all 4 paws .....

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 pm

I would get a new RA over a second hand Evo.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”