***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

EVO IX Vs CJ RA

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

EVO IX or CJ RA?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:41 pm

EVO IX
32%
CJ RA
68%

Total votes: 31

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 pm

time for a change

Lancer Evolution 10MR

sh00tr
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sh00tr » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 am

Hi All,

Its been a while since ive posted :( lost my license and have now returned my cj to stock and kindly passed it on to my sister :D lol...

Now i have just been through the same decision making as u and i just bought an Evo IX... The Evo IX has been around for 4 years now with all the pros and cons listed on every website. I managed to pick up a 2006 model with 1.5 years remaining on the standard Mitsu 5 year warranty and just FYI everyone, the Evo IX also comes with 10 year powertrain warranty i.e difs, transfer case and gearbox.

My dad drive an RA as his daily car and TBH im no fan of the SST its really jerky especially when it feels the need to gear down at a set of lights whilst braking in normal mode.. If u want luxury go the RA..

But as u said that u want 300HP+ warranty is already out the windo no matter how much you beg!

I agree that all EVo IX' have been thrashed and tracked and after looking at 6 either number jobbed or repairable write off i found a clean one.. WHich ever one u go remeber an EVO is an EVo it has its name... handles much better than the ralliart as it just understeers like a bitch.. and it has a lot more go than an RA..

The biggest limitation is the gearbox in RA.. like said previously in thread not enough people have experienced...

I admit that the EVO IX is very bland inside but dad has already asked for my RECAROs in his RA..

Its all upto what u want!

ohh and dw about safety features too much because if ur looking at HIgh Power than along comes High speed so either way it will hurt no matter what car ur in!

Good Luck..

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:56 pm

The IX is only better in a straight line. The RA looks a lot more handsome, is safer, more spacious and of course, has all the benefits of buying new. You can still do your usual bogan six whipping while enjoying the beauty of 4WD and the state-of-the-art SST gearbox.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

evolution_1988
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby evolution_1988 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:09 am

PYLee wrote:time for a change

Hmmm JDM goodness, how Im a sucker for it, if only they brought out the FD2 Type R Sedan over here... (Waits for angry looks from Lancer owners :P)

THANK YOU very much for all the great feedback, I thought that a lot of ppl here would have expierenced my dilemma.

I think the only thing pulling me towards the EVO is the name (as stupid as that is, "yes, I drive an EVO"... zzzz) and possibly the reliabilty of drive-train and engine.

Aside from that the RA wins everything:
Handling: The RA has the small AWD system as the EVO IX, so therefore handling should be quite similar (if we disregard the 100KG weight difference). Brakes are much better in the EVO IX, but as this wont be a track car, that isnt on the priority list.

Power: The RA has a more efficent engine I believe, the 4B11 has constanly variable MIVEC (EVO IX staged), engine layout makes more sense (intake in the front, exhaust rear). Although there is a lot to say about the SST being "jerky", those things really dont bother me, and if its going to be modifed with coilovers, I think the bumps in the road will be more noticable than the changes of the gears.

Comfort and Looks: The EVO IX comes with a very agressive look (with the wider body kit), but besides that I find the shape of the CJ much more attractive. The interiors' are also completely different, and the RA presenting a more DD approach.

I will be looking at cars very shortly (looking to buy at the beginning of the year) and I will let you all know what I choose. Either way, itll be some good fun XD

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Without trying to bias your decision too much, keep in mind that whilst the RA shares a lot of the go fast bits from the IX, numerous reviewers have commented that it just doesn't feel the same- possibly the chassis, or possibly the tyres, or both.

If you're willing to put in chassis strengthening and spend a bit on good tyres, I think the RA will be a good choice but if not for that, then you'll be comparing two different things.

That being said, the RA is still a fantastic car to drive and offers bang for buck in the segment.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

fazzle
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fazzle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:29 pm

The regular Lancer is already a lot stiffer chassis than the IX according to Mitsubishi themselves

The basic Lancer platform – which already exhibits 56-percent better torsional rigidity and 50 percent better bending rigidity than the previous-generation Evolution IX

Source: 3rd paragraph: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/release ... 9d4b0dcf8b

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Its like comparing Apples and Oranges.

Daily driver with fun factor and almost stock Evo X straight line speed then RA all the way.

Balls out raw speed and handling with track day potential then its Evo 9.

Depends on what you want from a car.

Cheers
John

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:22 pm

fazzle wrote:The regular Lancer is already a lot stiffer chassis than the IX according to Mitsubishi themselves

The basic Lancer platform – which already exhibits 56-percent better torsional rigidity and 50 percent better bending rigidity than the previous-generation Evolution IX

Source: 3rd paragraph: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/release ... 9d4b0dcf8b

Fair call but when I drove both, admittedly not back to back, there's something about the way the Evo IX drives which gives more confidence. Maybe it's the weight penalty impact?

Otherwise blame the tyres.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

billy boy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billy boy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:47 pm

nail.hit.head - perfect answer
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:24 pm

the RA needs about $1000 on handling is all, then it tracks like a train :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:38 pm

The RA is winning, haha what a surprise on a CJ forum. I would go the EVO IX, the spec and fine print don't tell the real story.

To say the driveline is the same so the cars are the same is just not right.

Drive them both, buy the one you like :D
MY10 Golf R | 5 Door | Rising Blue Metallic | DSG | MDI | Black 19" Talladega | Motorsport Seats | Bluetooth | Sunroof | RNS510 + DYNAUDIO 300W

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 pm

sage words frazza.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm biased towards the RA of course but for me it comes down to a few things;

1. Current shape...I think more aggressive! Love the front :)
2. Safety- RA 7 airbags....IX has 2 I believe
3. With some simple mods and a few good $$$ ur RA will smoke any stock EVO IX or X (see my Dyno on my profile) Also Nick PMR will back this up, he has driven my car after recent tune etc...Pulled his PMR EVO in like a fish on a hook ha ha
4. Price??? What you wanna pay and what you see the car finally looking/performing like + warranty

At the end of the day you need to be happy with the car and after all....they both kick serious butt!!!!

Enjoy

ClubspecCustomDesigns
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby ClubspecCustomDesigns » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:26 pm

lamn8tr wrote:I'm biased towards the RA of course but for me it comes down to a few things;

1. Current shape...I think more aggressive! Love the front :)
2. Safety- RA 7 airbags....IX has 2 I believe
3. With some simple mods and a few good $$$ ur RA will smoke any stock EVO IX or X (see my Dyno on my profile) Also Nick PMR will back this up, he has driven my car after recent tune etc...Pulled his PMR EVO in like a fish on a hook ha ha
4. Price??? What you wanna pay and what you see the car finally looking/performing like + warranty

At the end of the day you need to be happy with the car and after all....they both kick serious butt!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA LOL that you did, but do you have to make it public :-(

Enjoy
Looking for that ultimate ride??
ClubSpec Custom Designs
www.facebook.com/ClubspecCustomDesigns

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:32 pm

sorry Nick....you should be happy, after all it was your baby before I had it.

By the way guys, no offense to ant Evo owners...i would give my left testie to have an X MR but I'm just going off my own experince. (stock that is)

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”