***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Wanting a VRX .. questions!

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

xxpxx
INACTIVE Member Account

Wanting a VRX .. questions!

Postby xxpxx » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:00 am

Hi guys,

I've recently been hunting for a new car and have taken a real liking on the CJ Lancers, in particular the VRX and have a few questions;

Is it worth getting a brand new one or should I just settle with a used one, and if used.. around what price range? (2008 model per say)

In terms of exterior mods, should I look into installing an Evo X MR rear bumper + muffler or just go for a RA one?

Lastly, how much is a RA vented bonnet?

I'm thinking of either black or blue and later on tinting the windows, adding a sound system (if it doesn't have one already) installing a sunroof and getting new wheels & tyres.

foreshadow
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby foreshadow » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:12 am

Just remember the engine difference. I think it was the 09 models and above had the 2.4L engine, where as the 08 had the standard 2L. Somone here should be able to confirm it for you.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:15 am

the evo x's rear bumper will not fit the VRX unless you get some wide fenders , better off just doing the ralliart bumper and muffler alternative.
Lancer Evolution 10MR

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:29 am

welcome Pedro.

As for new or second hand I always choose new. Value for money you are normally better off with second hand.

I choose new because then I get want I exactly want and I can claim more depreciation with tax.

I always worry with second hand why some one is selling a fairly new car. Has it been thrashed, or in a major accident and repaired?

I keep my cars for a long time so if it costs me 5-8k more, over the time it is not much.

If you go for a second hand VRX then be careful of the MY08 has the 2.0L so it will be worth less the ones with a 2.4L in them.

Best of luck. Do you home work and go for some test drives. Remember there are plenty of cars out there for sale so dont be in a hurry and go and buy the first one you see.

Lets us know how you go and if you have any more questions, please ask.

If you want a RA bonnet and bumper then you are better off just buying a RA. It will hold its value better and then you will be happy with your purchase. There are many members here who regret not getting the RA first up.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:31 am

RA bonnet will run you around the $1500 mark, bout the same for a sun roof, 2008 used I would expect sort of low to mod $20000

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 pm

And depending on how long you want to keep the car. If you are young and get your full license in say 2 years, you may want the extra kick of the Ralliart. If you buy 2nd hand, you won't take so much of a hit. If you have a full license then the ex demo / 2nd hand Ralliarts would come close to the price of a new VRX (depending on deals - runouts, haggling etc)

Either way you will get something special that you will love. Good luck dude.

xxpxx
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby xxpxx » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I get my full license in a week (assuming I pass the test).. I have looked at Ralliarts but am disappointed they don't come in manual. I'm in no hurry so I'll keep looking around for the next 6-8 months. I may go for a second hand RA after all to avoid the hassle of getting RA parts installed.

I'll keep you guys informed, thanks!

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 pm

pedro, most fall in love with the sst box, i know i did :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

vr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby vr » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Don't forget if you buy s/hand you will have stamp duty on top of the purchase price.

Here is a link to a new one
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bnc ... &silo=1011

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:03 pm

When you say "Full Licence" Do you mean "Open" licence so you can drive any car, or Provisional (upgrading from a learners permit)????

I didn't know you had to take a test to go from Provisional to Open.

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:07 pm

vr wrote:Don't forget if you buy s/hand you will have stamp duty on top of the purchase price.

Here is a link to a new one
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bnc ... &silo=1011

When buying privately there are ways of............making some adjustments to how much duty you have to pay to the RTA. If you pay cash, there is no way they can prove how much you actually paid.

Not saying its a good idea, but there are ways around paying so much. Bloody governments wanting a piece of every dollar you make or spend. :cry:

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Personally if you are looking at a 2008 VRX I wouldnt bother. Get an ES instead. The saving is a few thousand over the VRX version and with what you have planned with the car you can put those few thousands saved into your mods. At the end of the day, you have your own Lancer that may look like a VRX (if you did get the VRX add-ons) and all these mods and either come out at the same cost as a 2nd hand VRX or maybe only 1k extra.

If you are going for a later VRX then you get a bigger engine. Anything smaller than the 2.4 then get an ES or VR.

RA though, depends what your license is. Considering you have to pass a test I take it your going onto a P license? If so, you can cross the RA off as you cant legally drive it due to restrictions placed on the license. If its got a turbo, you cant have it unless its a diesel while your on a P license.

xxpxx
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby xxpxx » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:09 am

Sorry I wasn't specific, I'm on my greens and can go for my full license in 6 days aka able to drive a RA. :P

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:49 am

Used will always be of better value per dollar as the CJ depreciates quite fast. However, I decided to buy new because I wanted the smell and exclusivity of owning a car no one else did before. If you aren't too particular about this then second-hand will definitely save you a lot of money.

Second, are you after looks only or performance as well? As the first replier said, the 09 VRX has the 2.4 engine and anything older is 2.0. The extra torque may come in handy if you're bringing other people along, and with a manual gearbox it can potentially beat a big bogan six or at least get close to it at the lights (not that I condone excess speeding). If you can stretch out your budget, a used Ralliart is definitely the go. Try out the SST first and you just might love it more than the stick.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”