***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Vrx Or Ra

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Singeaninja
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Vrx Or Ra

Postby Singeaninja » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Ok first off i know there are billions of threads about this and i've read a few of them but i can't find the answer i'm looking for thus this thread :).

Been looking for a new car for a while now and i've wanted a lancer for years. After a little digging the one that would fit me best would be a vrx or ra or so i think. Looking at second hand (as sometimes you get some nice freebies like better nav system) budget around 20k.

Since im spending a fair amount of cash i wanted the car to be something i can keep for a while and thought i'd try leather this time round.
Most vrx's and ra's ive seen come with leather seats so thats a plus. I just don't know if i really need the power of the ra (and the costs) or if i should just buy a vrx.

Other threads pointed me towards the ra because i didn't want to keep a stock car and was looking into basic mods (wheels, exhaust) but almost everyone labeled me into the ricer community (LOL). A 4 door sedan is what i'm after and the lancer looks nice with a few additions which is another reason i wanted it.

Would it be wasteful or 'try hard' if i put 'mod's on a vrx? I know people don't look at fuel eco when buying performance cars but the ra truly does have poor eco- like most jap performance cars. I just don't think id utilize the ra like i should to justify the extra fuel and turbo. I dont race or go the track yet i want my lancer to look like one, maybe even an evo spoiler ;(.

I also get my full license in a year but like with the ra, dont tell me to buy an evo cause ill never race it.

Fire away.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Vrx Or Ra

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:10 pm

The RA will cost more to buy, run and insure compared to a VRX, for $20k you should get a good one and my only advice is to get something stock (or lite mods like different wheels) with low kays, make sure the service is up-to-date, especially the gearbox as those can be expensive to repair if neglected.

The biggest advantage of the RA is the added safety over the FWD VRX and some would say its a better looking car with the twin exhausts and vents in the bonnet.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 am

Sounds like VRX is your best bet, for your budget and need. VRX bigger motor less wear and tear lower running costs nd no expensive turbo to run and repair. No leather in RA!?
More fun with lots of mods to tackle as funds become available. Dont have to use 98 octain petrol..

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Have you test driven both?

My personal recommendation is test drive both of them. Find which one you find more comfortable and suits what you are looking for the most.

I would have never bought a RA if I didn't ever test drive one, and I got to test mine on some pretty amazing windy roads ;) To this day, still no regrets, even though I am looking at something else.

Ralliarts are more expensive to maintain, however, like any car, if you maintain it and look after it, the car will last an absolute lifetime!

My personal recommendation is if you buy a VRX, don't try and make it look like its something it's not, for example, an Evo, it just looks ridiculous.
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:53 pm

To me, modding a car,either for performance or appearance or for comfort, grand touring.Should always be a challenge.
Do what you will use up market parts if it suites you.

the main aim and criteria should however, preferably be based on PERSONALIZING, making it your car, done your way, the way you want it.
An individualized masterpiece in your own mind. Not just a copy of what it isn't. Enjoy!!!

Singeaninja
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Singeaninja » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:52 pm

sarusa wrote:To me, modding a car,either for performance or appearance or for comfort, grand touring.Should always be a challenge.
Do what you will use up market parts if it suites you.

the main aim and criteria should however, preferably be based on PERSONALIZING, making it your car, done your way, the way you want it.
An individualized masterpiece in your own mind. Not just a copy of what it isn't. Enjoy!!!

A fair reply but for me, 'modding' is about making it look nicer and nicer is something along the lines of the evo, although personalizing it is also something to think about.

I dont want to be those guys adding a vented bonnet to a vrx or other stock lancer lol. Looks like i have to find a nice price on a healthy ralliart ;P.

If anyone good give me some various costs for both cars that'd be nice. I did some myself and found the ra (besides maintenance) only a little bit more.

does tuning make the fuel eco a little better?

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Nate N » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 am

At the end of the day, comes down to whether you need/want an AWD performance car. If you do, then I think you'll always be disappointed with a VRX. If not, then the extra costs with running an RA is money you could have saved.

The costs also add up - fuel (RON98 vs RON91), insurance (especially since you're currently on your P's) and maintenance (6 monthly intervals vs 12 monthly). There are also periodic servicing items with the RA that come with a hefty price, for example SST fluid replacement can be ~$500, and it's a more complex beast with more things that can be wrong (turbo, SST), which are costs you'd have to be prepared for in case the worst does happen.

At the end of the day though, if you're keen on a RA and can afford to buy AND run it, then I absolutely recommend you go for it.

Singeaninja wrote:does tuning make the fuel eco a little better?

Tuning yields some fuel economy benefits but given the outlay involved with a tune, you're not going to see the money for a long while. You tune for more power, not economy! :P

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:20 am

A well tuned RA will see better eco than a stocker and you will be getting a much safer car in my opinion.
Why safer, AWD as against FWD is always going to be a safer option.
Then there is the added power, which means you spend a lot less time on the wrong side of the road when passing on 2 lane country roads.
Plus, you can mod the brakes with Evo Brembos which are awesome when fitted with Elig pads.

Also keep in mind that 98 octane fuel should yield better economy anyway, as you will be running on the Hi-Octane maps.
If you run 91 octane you will be on the Lo-Octane maps, which will result in significantly less power and worse fuel economy.
The Lo-Octane maps are very rich on a stock tune.

Finally, there is an abundance of aftermarket CF interior and exterior dress up parts as well as a range of aero parts for the RA/EVO.
You probably wont get labeled as a ricer if you add CF to an RA.

And yes I have been in some really nice VRX and they are a great car, just not as good as the RA.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 am

It sounds to me that you will be better off with a vrx. Yes they aren't as powerful as a ralliart but they are a lot more affordable.
The end of the day you will be disappointed with the lower power of a vrx but you will hate the running costs of a ralliart

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:28 am

Nate N wrote:At the end of the day, comes down to whether you need/want an AWD performance car. If you do, then I think you'll always be disappointed with a VRX. If not, then the extra costs with running an RA is money you could have saved.

The costs also add up - fuel (RON98 vs RON91), insurance (especially since you're currently on your P's) and maintenance (6 monthly intervals vs 12 monthly). There are also periodic servicing items with the RA that come with a hefty price, for example SST fluid replacement can be ~$500, and it's a more complex beast with more things that can be wrong (turbo, SST), which are costs you'd have to be prepared for in case the worst does happen.

At the end of the day though, if you're keen on a RA and can afford to buy AND run it, then I absolutely recommend you go for it.

Singeaninja wrote:does tuning make the fuel eco a little better?

Tuning yields some fuel economy benefits but given the outlay involved with a tune, you're not going to see the money for a long while. You tune for more power, not economy! :P

500 for fluid... dreamng you can buy a 20L drum of the fuid for 250...

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am

at the end of the day do u want an ecomeny 4 cylinder or an awd perofrmance car as said above

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Nate N » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 am

Shaun Patterson wrote:500 for fluid... dreamng you can buy a 20L drum of the fuid for 250...

Sure, if you do the work yourself. But let's be honest, the vast majority of people will not be doing this by themselves and $500 is the average price for a SST flush with Diaqueen.

Singeaninja
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Singeaninja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:29 pm

I wanna get the vrx cause of cost but at the end of the day its not because ra is expensive, its because i wanted to save more. I think for what i want (minus turbo, acceleration) the ralliart is good. Looks wise, i need that evo spoiler ;) and the vented hood is just a plus. Budgets around 20k like i said, seend ralliarts float from 14k to 25k so i think i can afford. I have a steady income, drive 'sensibly' and will service and maintain the car so hopefully that sees the majority of the ra's life without major tranny issues.

thanks for the help lads.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 am

If you're planning on servicing yourself then you can run the RA pretty cheaply. SST fluid either in bulk or through Ford (same fluid), specials at supercheap etc for oils n other filters.

Get a Tactrix and flash one of the base tunes off evom, along with a new pill and you'll have a fuel efficient evo power car for F all.

Mine has 200k on the clock, self tuned to 165kw change the SST oil n filter every 30 and she's going strong. Drive sensibly 95% of the time and very spirited the rest

Awesome car
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Singeaninja
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Singeaninja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Oh. that sounds like a good avenue to pursue. I will definitely look into, thanks.

Also, how old of a ra should I be looking at? so far those around the 20k budget are 2010. Is 6 years something I should consider or wait for something more recent?

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”