***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Hi there! Is this a good purchase? VRX

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

scott.jackson
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Hi there! Is this a good purchase? VRX

Postby scott.jackson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Hey guys new to the forum so not exactly sure if this belongs here but I am interesting in purchasing this VRX Lancer 2008. Any tips/advice or things i should look out for would be greatly appreciated thanks!! I actually inspected it today and the body seems great my only concern is I think its due for a service and no rwc will be provided. THANKS!
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/keilor-downs/cars-vans-utes/2008-mitsubishi-lancer-vrx/1126597252?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Facebook-

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: Hi there! Is this a good purchase? VRX

Postby toc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:43 pm

It presents well from the pictures, price is good enough for a VRX. Look at the log book - pass if it doesn't have one (unknown service history)!
Look at the interior and see how well it presents, clean etc.

Mark the price down by 500 if it's due for a service (hey, his fault for not getting it serviced, your time isn't free).
Check the tires, make sure there's reasonable tread - drop the price 500 if the tyres are due for replacement.
If the oil is not like dark honey, then you'll want to get it mechanically checked over (blacccckk oil is a sign it hasn't been serviced well, if at all).

Take it for a test drive, observe that there's no warnings (including the ASC service one). Get it up to speed and test handling, braking performance and listen for noises through turns and stopping - yes, turn that factory Rockford Fosgate stereo to the *off* position.
It *looks* good from here.

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:30 pm

The part that raised concerns with me was (paraphrasing) "i dont have time to get a RWC." Which to me sounds like "i dont wanna spend thousands getting that part replaced that you cant see"
Merlinised

scott.jackson
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby scott.jackson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Thank you both for your replies i really appreciate it! In reply to toc- My friend who i took with me to inspect it strongly believes its in need of a major service actually. The gearbox seems loud when changing the gears when the car is off. Also the accelrated seems very touchy (this may just be a vrx thing not sure). IN reply to Dannn- Yes that also raises concerns for me, would you have any suggestions to make sure this is not in need for anything crazy for the rwc. I think i might pay a mechanic to go out and have a close look at it.
Thanks again!
PS. Just did a VIN check and car seems all good history wise, no write offs/stolen status/money owing etc.

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:54 am

Pay the mechenic to come with. Peace of mind is everything. There are mobile mechenics that do roadworthies. Mention that to him and see what happens.
Merlinised

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:34 am

90,000 is a big expensive service have heard of these costing up to $900 +if done by Mitsubishi!

scott.jackson
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby scott.jackson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Yeah think i will pay a mobile mechanic inspection, does anyone know of a good company to do it through? The car is also positioned about a 50 min drive from me :P Thanks again for the help everyone

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:49 pm

I thought by law a RWC had to be sold with the car or is that not apply in your part of the country?

Also is it a 2 or 2.4? Either way for the price it looks like a steel but with the service due it's try for a better price and get someone to check it out first.

EDITED - Looks like you do need a RWC.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registr ... ed-vehicle
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:56 pm

scott.jackson wrote:Yeah think i will pay a mobile mechanic inspection, does anyone know of a good company to do it through? The car is also positioned about a 50 min drive from me :P Thanks again for the help everyone

RACV do them im fairly sure. They do in QLD at least. :p let us know how you go.
Merlinised

scott.jackson
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby scott.jackson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:59 pm

This model is the 2.4 litre, and also forgot to mention that i asked him in person if the price was negotiable and what kind of lenience he has, and he stated he could probs take 500 off and that would make it 6.7k. Im going to try and get some photos of the service log book, organise a mobile mechanic inspection and if its all good make an offer. Regarding the RWC not being supplied i am honestly very unsure. I was led to believe that if you were selling a car it needed it also by law. But not 100% sure how it all works (never bought a car before this is my first car). If anyone can clarify that would be awesome cheers!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Yes I went to the VIC roads website, they need to supply a RWC.

If it all checks out that looks like a bargain, my 09 VRX cost me $15k at a dealer just 2 years ago with the same odometer reading, at the time!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

scott.jackson
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby scott.jackson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Yes I went to the VIC roads website, they need to supply a RWC.

If it all checks out that looks like a bargain, my 09 VRX cost me $15k at a dealer just 2 years ago with the same odometer reading, at the time!

Thanks! Ill suss it all out and let you guys know, thanks for the help! :D

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:41 pm

I would double check it's a MY09 with the 2.4 and not a MY08 with the 2.0 engine

scott.jackson
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby scott.jackson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:55 pm

aspir3 wrote:I would double check it's a MY09 with the 2.4 and not a MY08 with the 2.0 engine

Good point, did a vin check last night and its a MY09 with the 2.4 4B12CR9732 engine :)

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Sounds pretty cheap, always make you think is there anything wrong with the car, it might pay to check it out like others have said! If there is nothing wrong with it then it maybe a good bargain!

At least it is a manual so the service will be quite a bit cheaper, but the 90,000 is a major service, I had my old one done a couple years ago and cost me a bit over $525, was quoted $700 though through Mitsubishi! It was done by Mitsubishi in the end!

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”