***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

General Insurance Question

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

General Insurance Question

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:25 pm

So just wondering for those who have been in the unfortunate situation of having a crash and getting an insurance payout.

Now I know you're allowed to recover personal items but what about mods like new head units, rear wing or bonnet struts, assuming they are not damage, or do you have to buy the wreck?

Edited title since I can't spell...
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: General Insruance Question

Postby Mystique » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Only personal belongings. All modifications stay with the car including headunits etc.
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:25 pm

When my girlfriend had her car written off after a T-bone, I went down at cleaned out the car, all I was allowed to take was her personal belongings or anything she had in the car! Anything attached to the car or mods like stereos, tail lights, etc stay with the car, I know this because she really wanted the aftermarket tail lights out the car!

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Man, that's such a scummy thing. It should be if you still have the stock parts and it's not going to take you ages to swap them, you can. My car insurance was quoted when the car had stock radio, etc. Should be able to return it to that state before they take it away.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: General Insurance Question

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Yeah I still have the stock HU and speedo, if the worst happens I'd like the get the new ones out, should be able to just put the others in the car. I guess for security you should be allowed to wipe the HU if you can power it up. Guess its something to discuss with them at the time to find a compromise, especially since so much can be stored on a modern head unit.

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Yeah, that's definitely true, if I end up in that situation I'll be demanding they at least allow me to wipe it, as it is a privacy concern. It's essentially "personal belongings" in my eyes.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:48 am

just do it before the tow truck arrives and after the other party leaves. i think in most cases the onus is on you to inform your insurer that your vehicle needs a tow. unless your incapacitated in which case the police will move your vehicle.
you technically have 24 hours to log a police report and you can probably use that same time to remove the "mods" before towing it and officially informing your insurer.

really depends on the circumstances of where and how badly your car is damaged. in most cases that i have heard of CJ lancer occupants walk free with the car somewhat maneuverable to the side of the road.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Provided the items fitted to the car were placed there after the car was insured and have not been used to influence the insured value and or
brought to the attention of the insurer with that intent and are replaced with the original item in a workmanlike and proper working condition. I cant see a problem. Worth having a go, check with legal rep: or car club ie: RACV first . The car is still yours till you accept the claim and I would imagine you could recover what is not covered by the policy. Provided anything removed is replaced with the item that was there when the vehicle was insured in as it was when insured. You have the right to have the car towed to wherever you want to, after the crash provided you are willing to meet the added cost. Inform the insurer of what you intend doing and clear it up first if possible. :?

As far as to what the legal position is, I cant help and the above is only my opinion but I Personally did remove items from one of my cars and it was OKed by the insurer.

Perhaps ClubCJ could clear this one up? as it's something that could be of general concern to most if not all members.
Get response from insurance companies use club clout. Tell them your request is from xxx number of members. get what you can, then
tell them its a comparative thing, and listen! :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback, hope I'm not in the situation but I see the content on the HU as no different to CDs in the stacker. Might be something to follow up with our insurance companies?

CJsportback
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CJsportback » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:11 am

I wrote off my first car, it was fully insured but without any additional coverage I.e stereo equipment.

The tow yard guys let me rip out the stereo gear without any hassles, car was assessed the next day and had my insurance payout the next week. As far as anyone knew there may have never been any stereo gear in the car but if the items you want to take are listed on your policy they've got to stay with the wreck. I can't see why wiping any kind of personal information from the HU would be an issue.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:29 am

Yeah that brings me to that topic, at what point do you declare your mods? Now I'm not sure about adding my HU as it is relatively cheap, I mean if it was a $2k sound system with amp and better speakers then yes, but a sub $500 sound system? Mind you I know some mods can reduce your insurance, like the revers camera for safety and the fire extinguisher I put is before.

I really need to talk to AAMI.

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:02 am

Considering you've been saving your pennies to buy the HU for a few months , I'd list it as an additional mod. Also any other thing you've done that involves money to modify. You may think it's not all that much, but add it up please the time to do the mods, it stacks up.
Merlinised

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:44 am

Yeah don't want to add up the cost of mods, even cheap ones add up but do you include things like door sill trims? I know I really should add the DRLs (safety mod) and full size spare along with the HU... okay I'll make a list and get on the AAMI today since I have a lazy day planned.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:08 am

RACV told me they were only interested in performance mods: ie: RA snorkel, not interested in sound deadening, Bling items and suchlike.
Not mentioned by them but would they try to wriggle out of a claim if performance mods not mentioned prior. Also told them I had replaced 205 60 16 tyres with 215 60 16 tyres, said that was OK, within legal limits.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Got the list together, amazing what you forget. But at least its a start and now I can add to it when needed.

Not got many performance mods, didn't really think the RA snorkel would be on that list as on it's on it really doesn't do much on its own.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”