***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Few questions regarding buying a used lancer.

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Hazzatomic
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Few questions regarding buying a used lancer.

Postby Hazzatomic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Looking to buy a used lancer. No real preference in regards to model. Though the more I can get for my money the better. However whatever I do get will be NA
Just a few questions.
1. I had a quick look on the forum but it regards to servcing (mainly 90 and 105k) what needs to be done and what kind of price range? I've seen people talking about timing chains and valve clearances, they sound expensive!

2. I've seen people talking about pros and cons of the manuals and autos. I've always driven manuals but I'm open to an auto. However I've seen a few posts regarding the autos needing major, expensive work. Is this the case? Would I be better off just sticking with a manual.

3. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when inspecting cars (common faults, recalls, important questions to ask)?

4. What warranties are transferable? Because I will be buying used.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:00 pm

What budget are you looking at?

I would suggest a VRX or equivalent, love the keyless start and auto lights/wipers and CC air.
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:02 pm

No common fault with the CJ's.

As for models normally the higher special models are better value for money. I am biased, I love my Aspire.

As for transmissions I've heard more complaints about clutches and sincromesh than I have about the CVT. The CVT is a great automatic transmission that is built with a chain that are almost unbreakable. The only real issue is the servicing of the oil which can burn if you thrash the transmission constantly around hills or track. The early model VRX and Aspires had a transmission cooler. I don't know why Mitsubishi didn't do it for all CVT and why they stopping putting them in. It really helps in our hot climate.
The CVT will give you better economy on country roads and freeways as they are higher geared than the manuals.

No real issue with the engines. Timing chain should last the lifetime of the engine. Only ralliart and evo had problems with them stretching.

I can't help you with servicing costs as my car hasn't done that many kilometres and I service it myself

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 pm

I forgot to mention the paddles are a must for the CVT. Base model didn't come with them but they are very easy to install and are plug and play

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:17 pm

I agree, if I'd got and auto I'd get the flappy paddles, even if they are technically nothing like what the RA.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:23 pm

I've always had manual cars. This is my first automatic. It's great as I'm now in my 40's so I'm over all the gear changes. I still love a nice drive through the hills though and the paddles make it feel a little like a race car. I always use the paddles to help slow it down which saves the brakes too.
I use to hate automatics mainly because they used 25% more fuel and lost a lot of power. That is all in the past with computer technology

Hazzatomic
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Hazzatomic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:36 am

I intend to test drive both a manual and auto but I think I'll stick with a manual just because of personal preference. However the issue of the timing chains stretching seem to be a possibility (from what I've seen searching the forum) and I'm feeling a tad hesitant buying a CJ because of it. I saw on one thread that cars post 2011 have a stronger chain, is this true? Should I aim for one post 2011? I understand Mitsubishi did have a warranty that covered the chain but I'm assuming that it isn't transferable. Has anyone purchased a second hand lancer and been slugged with the costs associated with timing chain failure? Sorry if I sound a bit whimpy about it but I'm not to keen on spending money on a car that is a ticking time bomb haha! Any information regarding timing chains that might ease my nerves would be appreciated!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 am

Where did you read issues with timing chains? Please provide a link.

I have heard only complaints with Turbo CJ not normally aspirated. I believe there was a recall on the timing chains and not a warranty issue.

You will not be getting a ticking time bomb with the NA Lancer engines. They are very very good.

Hazzatomic
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Hazzatomic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:17 am

I simply searched timing chain and results came up. That said I didn't check to see if I said NA or turbo lancer

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 am

thats only RA and EVO as far as i know
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 am

Timing Chain stretch issues have only been a problem on the pre MY11 Turbo model EVO's & Ralliarts ..... NOT "NA" Normally Aspirated models.
Mitsubishi started fitting stronger timing chains on the turbo models from MY12 on wards.
I'm not sure if they fitted the stronger chains on the NA models, but most probably not since they were never an issue.

Read this link here on CCJ: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=16281&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

Hazzatomic
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Hazzatomic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Great! Thanks guys!!

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”