***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

2016 Lancer is coming

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Their excuse with the Lancer is that it needs a whole new platform which won't happen due to development costs. This argument is a little BS since the ASX is the same platform, and the Outlander is a stretched version of the same platform. If the platform is outdated and not being replaced with the Lancer, then the ASX and Outlander and 'finished' too. That of course, isn't true. What is true is that any new platform for the next gen ASX and Outlander will likely be shared between the two as well, a sedan version of the ASX should be easy enough to do. In this case, they should be treated as different versions of the same car (at least internally), not separate vehicles. The Lancer and ASX should have got the 4J engines a couple of years ago. Apart from that, an upgrade to direct injection, albeit costly development wise, would keep them competitive for a couple of years at least.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Azza_07
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Azza_07 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Just so anyone is aware, if you don't like the new 2016 edition front bumper. mars performance advised me today that there EVO x style body parts would fit,

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:28 pm

The new look is growing on me :)
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:24 am

Hi Guys,

Mitsu has said numerous times there will be NO lancer CJ replacement model.

They are focusing on SUVs and hybrids and electric vehicles in the future.

Shame but that is the reality.

The car got great reviews from most tester writers when it was released in 2007 for many yrs after.

I got mine in Dec 2007, so one of the oldest around, a VRX with the 2L engine, the 2.4 not being released til 2008.

Been a very good car, mine has only 60K on it and over 8yo.

Nothing at all wrong with the platform.

Mitsu Only needed to commit to revamping the interior with better materials and redesign the segmented dash etc.

That and newer more efficient engines as someone discussed along with the improvements they have made along the way, new bumpers and new features etc and they could have had a totally revamped car without the need to start again from scratch.

Sadly not to be however. Still love mine, just trying to work out how to fit some Hella DRLs to it. Have a few ideas but will need some fiddly work by the auto electrical shops to make it happen.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:32 am

The ASX is to the Lancer as the Territory is to the Falcon. Furthermore, the Outlander a remodelled ASX on a stretched ASX/Lancer platform. Ideally they could continue with the Lancer, just make a sedan size version of the new ASX coming out. Most of the the interior, engine, transmission, and a large amount of the exterior is transferrable!

If they continue with the 4B engines in the new ASX it means that has stepped down the ladder a bit as well. Basically, the Outlander uses less fuel than it, so what's the point? I think their focus is shifting towards the new model they are shifting in between the upcoming ASX and the upcoming Outlander.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:52 pm

How much taller is the ASX from the floor to roof over the CJ (not including the extra ground clearance in the ASX)?

I agree much of the ASX would be transferable but the reality is the world is going SUV crazy and the days of the sedan are numbered.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: 2016 Lancer is coming

Postby sarusa » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Well after all the above comments with lots of negativity right and wrong, The my16 EF is now here and selling, well!!
Externally new front and a lump of chrome resurrected from earlier years on the rear, plus a swag of extra goodies inside
with corresponding price rise.

Now with Nissan take over and input, time to think what will the next Lancer be like? Maybe time to get the last fully
Mitsubishi Lancer! Hope they don't Take away the Lancers individuality and keep quality production in Japan.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:31 pm

The value of the yen is increasing compared to the Australian dollar, but the rest of the Asian currencies currnetly aren't. This mean imports from Japan are more expensive and apparently we may see this reflected in next years pricing of Japan imports if things don't change. It's why when the Australian dollar was worth $1.10 it was the single most absolute worst thing for Australia. For everythng, imports were considerably cheaper pushng out local manufacturers, local manufacturers also couldn't export sucessfully because they were getting considerably less money for their exported products. The companies movies offshore or closed, resulting in less government revenue. Also the amount of money from mining was considerably less. They were getting $100+ (let's call it an even $100 even though it was more than that) US a tonne for iron or for example. it costs around $50 to mine it, give or take (which is why they're struggling now). With the Australian dollar worth so high they were effectively getting around $90 US a tonne with exports. That's $40 profit a tonne, which affects the tax they pay, the mining royalties etc. If the Australian dollar was worth 80 cents instead, they would be getting $125 tonne, but the input costs would be roughly the same because it's internal to Australia. So, the profit is $75 a tonne instead of 40, which is over 85 percent more.

It's really unfortunate because it was a boom that may not be repeated to the same extent at least, and they could have got 85 percent more mining tax and royalties as a result. Bit of an oversimplification but it does largely work that way! For the government to have been getting record revenue and racking up record debt at a time where they could have paid off all national debt with the mining boom tax and royalties screams incompetence. Remember that the money Australia borrows has interest on it, it's something like tens of billions of dollars a year. That's tens of billions of dolllars each and every year that Australia no longer has to spend on hospitals, education, and the like.

The decisions to close Holden, Toyota, and Ford were largely influenced by the fact it wasn't viable to produce cars here with the Australian dollar so high. Toyota were going to make the RAV4 here, and Ford initially were going to make the Ranger, the Ranger based Everest (the intention was there for a long time), and the Ford Focus (part knock-down kit, part local suppliers for the Focus) here, but the Australian dollar made it uncompetitive.

So, a competent government during the mining boom would done everything they could to keep the Australian dollar down. It would have meant more expensive imports at the time but we'd be in a whole better shape now. They have forecast that the Australian dollar may get down into the 40 cent region, that would make imported cars a lot more expensive. Whichever government that will be in at the time will get the blame, but in reality it was the 2007-2013 actions that caused it.

How is this all relevant? Well, the Lancer is imported just like every other car on the market will be soon. Say if the car is worth $22,000, what is the import cost before tax, dealer profit and everything else? $15,000? If the Australian dollar drops to 50 cents from 70, that import cost rises to $21,000. Putting back on the $7000 Austalian imput, it makes it $28,000. Then there's higher tax on the $28,000, so maybe $28,500. If the Lancer does exist in the time when the Australian dollar falls to 50 cents, assuming the manufacturers will continue to absorb costs like they apparently are now, we will probaby have to pay at least $27,500 for the base model Lancer...

The Ethan Automotive prospective looks a lot more interesting :). Their sedan car will probably be a little bigger than the Lancer, probably along the lines of the size of the final Magna (1997-2005) design. Also the low dollar may simply mean lower performing models will be dropped from the Australian market because it would no longer be viable to absorb costs and provide warranty etc on such vehicles.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Short of willing the lotto (and if I did that I'd buy something better than a Lancer) the only time I'd buy new is when a sale is on, right now Mitsy has the GSR 'sports back' for $19990 drive away with free insurance, think it's for the manual which I prefer but that's a saving of around $7k on the normal price and a very good price right now.

If the AUD does go down to less than 50c US then I hate to see how much future models will cost but the upside is it should mean used values will be higher as people would be upgrading as much, so less cars on the market.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:10 pm

This is the CF we should have got!

Looks way better than the CF, not a fan of the chrome but I'd just paint that black or something.
Interior looks way different, a very good change from what we have right now.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/464744/mits ... -makeover/

just a shame we'll probably never see it here.

CJsportback
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CJsportback » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:50 pm

I like the front & rear design but the side profile just doesn't look right for some reason..

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Not saying I'm in love with the looks but at least it looks new and a far cry from the CF we got this year.

What even you think unlike Mitsy they didn't just chuck a new bumper on it. Looks like new bumper, bonnet, front guards, doors, boot and back bumper. Only thing they probably didn't change is the roof and rear fenders. That's not including the interior chances. Clearly a lot of time and money has gone into it for the Chinese market.

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:00 pm

I think the CJ lancer front bumper, particularly the RA and later base models, looks a far cry better than the CF. Undecided on this chinese one.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:40 am

Lancer1993 wrote:This is the CF we should have got!

Looks way better than the CF, not a fan of the chrome but I'd just paint that black or something.
Interior looks way different, a very good change from what we have right now.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/464744/mits ... -makeover/

just a shame we'll probably never see it here.

Has a lot of Nissan influence in the design, which makes sense. Doesn't look too dissimiliar in many respects, to the Altima:

I quite like the look of the 2016 Maxima:

The 2017 Maxima has the lines of the Lancer (like towards the nose of the bonnet):

The rear doesn't look too bad either:

There are all much more expensive than the Lancer. If there is a future Lancer it would likely just be a reimaged version of either the Altima or Maxima. It does look as though Mtisubishi are focusing on crossover and SUV's. Now that Nissan has the controlling interest, I suspect they'll use Mitsubishi for that market, and keep the sedans under the Nissan Branding. That Chinese Lancer has quite old styling both in the front and back, and looks cheap and old styling on the interior. I guess it is targetting a budget market, so even though it might be labelled at 2017 'Lancer' don't expect it to be better than the 2016 Lancer.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:19 am

The 2016 Maxima does look better than the Pulsar, but you can see the Chinese CJ were the old and new meet. Especially where the A pillar and bonnet meet. Like I said the basic shell looks unchanged, they did work on the removable panels like the doors and front fenders. Not a huge fan of all that chrome on the Chinese one but the Maxima's front is better.

I know design is subjective, and with the CJ you either love of hate the front, I never really liked the rear of the sportback. I just wish like the Chinese that Mitsubishi Japan had done more to update the CJ than throw a new bumper on it without even touching the lights or fenders. And we thought Porsche was lazy updating the 911, change the cheapest part of the body and call it the CF, job done.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”