***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

wanting to buy a ralliart properly

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

langers
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

wanting to buy a ralliart properly

Postby langers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi guys,

Just to be clear i lack mechanical knowledge apart from checking and topping up oil and water and pumping tyres!

Reason for my post is that my 2001 ce2 lancer mr coupe is about to leave stranded somewhere i have had it for 8 years but time to go. Ive looked at all sorts of "boring" cars for my price range but lets just say i keeping coming back to the idea of a lancer as they are just well damn sexy as!

The reason i want a ralliart is That im a man not a boy anymore and i need some power but dont want to outlay for evo i just want more than the stock lancers :) I also have more income so i can afford to outlay some money on a quality car and also maintain in meticulously so i can keep it aslong as my ce or longer! And again i have always found lancers sexy as!

My budget means i can afford a my10 ralliart, from limited research these are better than the older ones so im not looking at anything before my10. Correct me if im wrong. I am planning on getting an racv inspection, are these ok for these cars or will they have no idea? I also want to find a good place that i will only get to maintain and fix my car in Melbourne preferably not a mitsubishi dealer. Im planning on doing an oil change at 6 month and major every 12 mths. Im hoping the oil change services are quite reasonable and prepared to expect up to $1000 for a major. Am i correct with budgeting this. If i get a ralliart its my first "proper" car to take care of so really want to do it the right way.

Sorry for the long post but i dont want my ralliart to end up jacked up on bricks on a nature strip because i havent picked right one or maintained properly and regret my choice.

I havent test drove yet want to get my path of attack in place as im pretty sure when i hop in drivers seat my heart will take over! Cant wait

Thanks guys

Strez
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Strez » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 pm

RTR in Melbourne
2012 Ralliart Lancer
- UR Catback
- Relocated Battery
- Gruppe M Carbon Intake
- Grimmspeed 3port
- Beebletooned
- BC BR Coilovers
- Whiteline Swaybars
- TE37SL

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:32 am

SIVART automotive in Braeside (ex mits mech and evo fanatic) honest reasonable prices and spot on work.

Regarding costs a major will be around $300 max. Generally just the sst oil change (at 90k in the my10 manual but worth doing every 45k) is the most expensive, around $500 inc oil n filter if you supply your own and use a good mech

Also, yes re my10's and onwards for reliability. A few of the 08's & 09's had dodgy gearboxes
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:05 pm

i`m not sure when mitsu dumped the handle sensors? but to me its a definate dis.

love it :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 pm

sleeper wrote:i`m not sure when mitsu dumped the handle sensors? but to me its a definate dis. love it :)
ggrrrrr.. that's all I have to say about that. lol

Also Marc... Ralliarts only came in SST, not Manual ;)

Also, MY10 is a good starting point, but I'd look out for a my11 if I was you. Just to be sure with the better gearbox. They started to change gearboxes in MY10 but who knows when. Also, you will still have around 2 years of manufacturer warranty left, just in case anything is dodge.

Also, oil change for the SST is recommended to do every 7500km, but its not a mandatory service. As long as you make sure the service history is good on the car you buy, you should be ok.

Are you buying personal or from dealer? Suggest you do get it professionally checked to ensure no issues with the mechanical. I bought a RA privately, and made a huge mistake. Some people here know what im talking about... cough cough G-spec cough cough.

Anyway, RA's are good cars, more practical than an evo and cheaper to ensure / run. Plus easy to make them just ask quick. ;)
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Also, oil change for the SST is recommended to do every 7500km

i think u mean engine oil T :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:40 pm

sleeper wrote:[quote:e4d243dc42]Also, oil change for the SST is recommended to do every 7500km[/quote:e4d243dc42] i think u mean engine oil T :)

Oops... yeah. haha
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Manual as in service manual, not manual gearbox.

I believe ALL services laid out in the services manual are compulsory for warranty purposes
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03

- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)

- Lowered on Kings

- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP

- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system

- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:01 pm

As has been suggested, go for a MY11, try and get something with a bit of warranty left too.

Roughly, what's your budget? - carsales.com.au is a good place to start! :-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

langers
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby langers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks everyone for your wealth of knowledge. Im looking at 3 white (sleeper color he he) my10 on carsales all from dealers im not going private sale. I will be getting racv inspection and checking log books for diligent service history. Reason im kind of stuck on my10 is my old car is becoming really unreliable i pretty much need to act now as im gonna get stuck some where oil and water leaks and my finance is only between $20-$25000 but i prefer closer on the $20k mark i would like to have something within the month or by Christmas, you guys have been pretty clear on my11 but Is there a way physically you can tell if my10 has the corrected or fixed transmission under the bonnet i can check myself or just lucky dip or is there a date they started doing it so if i look at the build date i will know? Sorry to be a ballbreaker but had my hearts set on one of the three.... Im also aware now of the transmission oil thing at 45000 and 90000 so i will be using that knowledge when the cars are being sold just under those km with price negotiations 😉 Thanks for all your help im feeling much more confident now so im not a lamb to the slaughter when i get approached by car salesman

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Actually the best thing that can save you money is to learn how to change at the very least your own oil + filter.
There are plenty of you tube instructional how to videos.

the money you save doing your own maintenance can be spent elsewhere.

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 am

Any car first sold after Jan 1 2010 should have fixed price services at Mitsu dealers (for upto 5 years anyway, so newer would be better if you're worried about service costs).

Oil changes are specified in the service manuals at 7500km, or for newer year models, 5000km.

Judging by the user posts on this forum however, the SST gearbox issues are not only occuring to early models, it seems to affect anyone indiscriminately regardless of model year. Highly recommend obtaining one with manufacturer's warranty and an impeccable service history. This is not something that most independent mechanics will know how to fix, so you will want Mitsubishi's backing on this.

langers
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby langers » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks heaps everyone im pretty much clued up now about all the things i need to look for. I will make the most of the cap price servicing til it runs out then yes i could definitely work out how to drop the oil out myself i used to do it with my first car falcon but then got lazy and just pay for the majors at one of the independent places you mentioned above. I want to keep the car stock i spend my money make sure it maintain impeccable and cleaning product so wash every fortnight and wheels blacked 😃 get all maintenance done as soon as its supposed too not put off. This might seem like a dumb question now but i dont like assuming. So the mitsubishi warranty applies to owners if they are second owner? Some dealer warrantys only apply for the original owner. Next post should hopefully be a pic of my ride 😆

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:05 pm

The powertrain warranty which used to be 10 years applies to the original owner (1st) only.

I think now its 5 years.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”