***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Wanting to buy brand new ralliart , need advice!

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Anton1993
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Wanting to buy brand new ralliart , need advice!

Postby Anton1993 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Currently have another 20 months til my Full licence, and with the new P plate laws we can drive Ralliarts now.

I currently have a 2013 ES lancer CVT with some nice modifications. Toke it to Mitsubishi & they said trade in value was worth about $17000.
So that toke down the ralliart to $23500 Brand New....

Just wondering owners of Ralliarts ... Is it worth it?

Performance wise ?

Cheers , confused member ^_^

Stephen
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 pm

From my knowledge.. We cant drive Ralliarts?

black_ice
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby black_ice » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Ralliarts are P. Plater legal in NSW...Antonio why don't you take one for a test drive and that will help you decide..the question you ask is very opinion based...I never had a lancer so can't compare it but the ralliart, in my opinion, is a great balance of power and drivability...
Saying a car is for going form A to B is like saying sex is for reproduction!

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:30 pm

Something else to think about is, would you consider a 2nd hand one? You'd probably be only topping up half or less compared to a brand new one.
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

Stephen
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Lucky new south wales people -_-

Craig
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Anton1993 wrote:Just wondering owners of Ralliarts ... Is it worth it? Performance wise ? Cheers , confused member ^_^

For me it was the best choice I have ever made on a car, From the first test drive I had there was no other choice of car.

Performance wise well it isn't an EVO but it still has the up and go when you need it.

For you Insurance will be a killer depending who you go with, do some homework on it before deciding to buy.

Although they have capped price servicing I'm not sure that covers the SST service and that can be up to $1000.

Economy wise depending on what sort of driving style you have it will go through fuel, I get around 400km for a tank driving on the M5 and surface streets to Chullora and back to Campbelltown 5 days a week but on a long drive I get real good economy around 7.6l per 100km (Did a trip to Dubbo back in April and did Campbelltown to Dubbo on just over 1/2 tank)

I'm sure there will be others that will give you more advise to help you :)

BST50N
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BST50N » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 am

Craig wrote:[quote:650fb9f07c=Anton1993]Just wondering owners of Ralliarts ... Is it worth it? Performance wise ? Cheers , confused member ^_^[/quote:650fb9f07c] For me it was the best choice I have ever made on a car, From the first test drive I had there was no other choice of car. Performance wise well it isnt an EVO but it still has the up and go when you need it. For you Insurance will be a killer depending who you go with, do some homework on it before deciding to buy. Although they have capped price servicing Im not sure that covers the SST service and that can be up to $1000. Economy wise depending on what sort of driving style you have it will go through fuel, I get around 400km for a tank driving on the M5 and surface streets to Chullora and back to Campbelltown 5 days a week but on a long drive I get real good economy around 7.6l per 100km (Did a trip to Dubbo back in April and did Campbelltown to Dubbo on just over 1/2 tank) Im sure there will be others that will give you more advise to help you :)

You must have the most efficient RA in the world!
MAP EF2 turbo , DW65 fuel pump, ID1000 injectors, EvoX FMIC, UR dump pipe, 100 cell cat, CP-E Exhaust, aFe air filter...and mud flaps!

iambrian
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby iambrian » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:08 am

Hahah Stephen Ralliarts are P plate legal in QLD too, and have been for awhile as they are under 125kw/tonne stock.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:39 am

Firstly I would suggest you sell the ES privately; $17000 is probably more than the car's worth considering you can pick up a brand-new ES sports with free CVT upgrade for $19990 driveway (or less...).

Going on the figures you've shown, they're charging you full-whack for the RA.

Two things to consider: you can pick up a new MY14.5 RA for $34-35k and the MY15s will be available soon(isn) at $39990 driveway.

If you sell yours for $15k, you would need $20k or less for the MY14.5 RA (there are still some around), that extra $3k will pay for your first year's insurance :-)

A good late-model second-hand RA will be under $30k, will still have plenty of warranty and someone else will have lost the value on depreciation, not you!

If you pick one up for, say $27k, all of a sudden you only have to find around $12k to buy the RA - a whole lot more affordable and just as much fun...

As Craig said, first stop is the insurance company (and do shop around...).

I get 9.5 - 10.5l/100Km regularly - just leave it in normal drive when you're commuting and leave the sports mode alone until the weekend and you'll find they're not that expensive to run.

Be warned, they're a popo magnet!

As far as 'living' with an RA - no question - the NA Lancers are excellent cars (I should know, I've had three!), but the RA is just nicely sorted - heavier, sure, you can feel that when you drive - but a lot more 'planted' on the road with noticeably better cornering & braking. There's plenty of cars out there that will beat you at the Traffic Light Derby, but not many for the price of the RA.

Plus, you'll have a stupid grin on your face for a couple of weeks after you buy it! :-)

Ultimately if you can afford it, go buy one - you won't regret it... (cj-white)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Martin aka Zaphod pretty much sums it all up.

I've got a Lancer and an RA, and I tell you, the RA is on another level performance and refinement wise... You won't regret it but be aware of insurance costs, especially if you are younger.

Also, new RA's dropped down to $37k now for the MY15, and you should be able to get that down to $35k easily. However if you push them too much, you won't get as much for your trade in. It balances out, as they want to make money on the trade in also. :)

Good luck
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

akin6831
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby akin6831 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:34 am

The ralliart is a great car for a p plater I think. Especially after you get your fulls you can start modifying it and become a hell of a lot more fun (and fast) to drive . It has great potential now that you an get s-sports mode via tactrix cable. And power of around 185-190kw atw on full bolt ons on 98 and around 205-210 on e85. This gives 1/4 mile times in the 12's and 0-100 in the 4's (depending on a lot of variable like weight, wheels, tires, weather etc.) and like some has said before, at a traffic light with the smaller turbo spools really fast and you feel like you have a mini rocket and for that performance and the price I don't think there's another car that can match. Great daily drive. (Of course not comparable to the evo)

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 am

Having owned both an NA CVT and RA, I'd say the upgrade is well worth it. But you'll only appreciate the benefits if you really want the performance, otherwise you'll just be using more fuel.

The SST is nice to operate in Sport mode, with gear changes happening instantly unlike other transmissions where you have to wait a second or two. The S-Sport upgrade gives you manual-like kick, though it's still being perfected for RAs.

I also found the RA's steering more natural in feel, particularly when driving around a twisty mountain road. The NA has some unwanted weighting especially when parking. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the MY upgrade, but try it yourself to feel the difference.

Finally, the real transformation occurs with the tune. The factory settings are not ideal as more lag is exhibited and fuel consumption not so good because of a rich mixture. If you're concerned with warranty, you can keep the stock parts and also a file of your original tune.

Any other questions, please feel free to reply here or PM me.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:59 pm

squall wrote:...I also found the RAs steering more natural in feel, particularly when driving around a twisty mountain road. The NA has some unwanted weighting especially when parking...

Yep, the new NA models have electric steering while the RA retains hydraulic- gives you some feedback throughout the steering wheel.

squall wrote:...I also found the RAs steering more natural in feel, particularly when driving around a twisty mountain road...

Last Sunday's Bellethorpe run was my first drive-day since getting the RA and afterwards, Sleeper asked me how the AWD felt on the mountains after the FWD - all I could say was that it felt 'neutral' - which is exactly what you want from a steering system...

element wrote:...Ive got a Lancer and an RA, and I tell you, the RA is on another level performance and refinement wise...

You'll definitely feel at home because at it's heart it's a Lancer, which is a good thing; but as Thorsten says, it's another level - it's everything you wanted out of your current Lancer, just everything's been pretty much done for you already.

Doo Eet!!! :-D
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Anton1993
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Anton1993 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Awesome replies guys thank you!

I toke my 2013 ES CVT lancer into a Mitsubishi dealership & they gave me a trade value of $16,900 while sitting on 27,000 kms.

But it's a well modified car.

I absolutely love my ES.

It's got a awesome free flow dual exhaust with 4 inch tips
Hi flow cat
Extractors
ECU + timing controller
& a K&N full induction kit with a pod filter not enclosed.

It's an absolute beast for a 113 KW so was definitely looking at buying a ralliart & modding it !!!

Will post pictures of my current car :)

Roadtrain
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Roadtrain » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:54 pm

wouldn't modifying the Ralliart on your P's take it into illegal to drive territory, or did i read that wrong about car having to remain stock until full License?
Port Macquarie Ralliarts

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”