***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Thinking of buying a Ralliart

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

apococelot
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Thinking of buying a Ralliart

Postby apococelot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:32 am

Hey everyone,

For a while now I have been thinking about buying a Ralliart as a nice bit of fun. Fuel consumption doesn't bother me as I ride a motorbike to and from work each day so the car would mainly be for weekend drives.

And this brings me to my main question. Is there anything that has been known to go wrong with the Ralliarts like what happened with the older Evos? Such as diffs and clutches that may be prone to go? (I used to own an Evo 8 and I had both of these problems with that). So If anyone knows of any issues that are common with the ralliarts I would love to know so I can make an informed decision into that matter.

I look forward to hearing from all of you

thanks in advance

Joel

SammyH
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby SammyH » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:44 am

Hey buddy! I own a Ralliart and i must say it is an excellent Daily driver, Good fun, Fuel eco isn't bad at all! and as far as modifications go its endless.

Now for the downside, The Ralliart transmission is a bit Dicey thats going with all the year models. A mate who also owns a Ralliart and is on CCJ has already had to get the full gearbox replaced after only having the car for 18months. That could be down to the way he drives or the fact he's running a larger Turbo. These Transmissions are prone to only handling a certain amount of HP and Torque before you get slippage and eventually burnt out clutches.

A Ralliart is probably a good option if you are looking at keeping things simple. But honestly if you were to look at building or working one personally i'd just bite the bullet and buy a Used Evolution GSR in Manual.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:28 am

If you leave it stock and service it when due, you'll have no issues.

If you try and mod the cr@p out of it trying to squeeze out the last KW, you're going to exceed the specifications and things will go (expensively) wrong.

You ride; the RA is never going to be as quick or nimble as a decent bike, so if you look at it as a fun car to drive that'll take most other cars on the road, you'll not regret buying one.

Modding is the Dark Side, seductive...
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 am

What everyone else says....

if you want to make the RA a bit quicker than stock, its very cheap and easy to do, and can make it quicker than a stock EvoX with just a tune and a 3port / boost pill.

But yeah, like with every car... the more you mod, the more can and usually will go wrong.

But honestly, as long as you mod the car in such a way, that you can return back to stock before you take it to mitsubishi for servicing, then no issues. That's what I've been doing. Removed the 3port and flashed back to stock.. and they never found out. ;)
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 am

Mine is fairly modded and is reliable and runs 12.8 sec quarter mile consistently. You just have to make sure you have a good gearbox and keep the maintenance up. There's quite a few good ones that I have seen. Fantastic through the mountains.

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Known RA issues that are widespread:
Timing chain (early models)
SST clutches shuddering/slipping or otherwise behaving badly. (All)
High pressure fuel pump relay (all models)
ACD pump (cold climates - not so much Australia)

And then there's issues dependent on factors of each individual example.

theforceunleashed
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby theforceunleashed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:13 pm

I'm on the verge of getting an RA 14.5 I was wondering if I should just hold of for the MY15? Are their any difference in performance wise? engine changes, or is it just cosmetic? Like the seats with different stitching, and the side mirror indicators?

Monty
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Monty » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Nope. No changes to the engine performance wise. I believe that some weaknesses such as the timing chain and gearbox/clutches were rectified (quietly) for the MY10 models onwards, but there have been no changes to performance and none predicted for MY15 models.

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:17 am

MY14.5 to MY15 changes are:

- Door trip has extra stitching in it now
- indicators in side mirrors
- contrast stitching on seats
- ESS or whatever its called. Emergency stop signalling

Pretty sure that's it
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”