***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Manufacturing Delays with Lancers - Should I wait?

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Should I wait or change colour?

Wait for Titanium (2 months min.)
33%
Go with Cool Silver (7-10days)
11%
Get Deposit Back and Start Again
56%

Total votes: 9

tukkis
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Manufacturing Delays with Lancers - Should I wait?

Postby tukkis » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 am

Hi Guys,

As you may know, Im in the process of purchasing a new MY14.5 VRX.

After putting a deposit down on the 26/03 I was told the car would be ready by the 14/04. A week later I was told it was now delayed till the start of May due to none being in the country in the Titanium colour.

Yesterday I received a call saying that due to Lancer production delays in Japan, it has been pushed back to mid June. And even then there's no definite ETAs as the car hasn't been made/shipped. I called another couple of dealers to confirm this was true.

They offered a Cool Sliver colour instead. Apparently there's only 1x left in Australia which I can have if I decide straight away. Or I can wait for the Titanium or even get my deposit back.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Last edited by tukkis on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 am

Get your deposit back and wait until the next run comes out of the factory - it may be a better spec, or a different model altogether...

The dealer will still do you the same deal and take your money if nothing's changed, and if it's a new/updated model it would have been worth waiting for!

(and if there is a new model, you may well be able to screw a dealer down on the price of a current RA at the VRX price...)

:-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 am

I wouldn't swap to silver - not that nice a colour and has been around for ages. Titanium is a new colour so will set your car apart and not look outdated.

When I got my Ralliart it was the only white hatch in the country and had to come from Melbourne - don't know what I would have done if I couldn't get it.

Unless you need it urgently for some reason, I'd hold out for Titanium. Beware though, a dealer is within their rights to raise the price if they want to (for any reason), so the price you have 'locked in' isn't concrete, but if when the car is available it is more costly or has some more fruit, if you keep the current deal alive you're much more likely to still get it for the same price and the dealer will just take a hit for you, whereas if you take your deposit back and renegotiate then there is no chance of getting back to the initial amount. Speculation of course, not even the dealer knows what will happen to prices and stock levels between now and then.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:08 am

Personally, I'd take my money back and wait it out.

Also in my opinion, silver is the worst colour you could get this car in. Sure Gold is worst but really the Silver colour ages the fastest.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

lantourismo
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby lantourismo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:38 am

ofey wrote:Personally, Id take my money back and wait it out. Also in my opinion, silver is the worst colour you could get this car in. Sure Gold is worst but really the Silver colour ages the fastest.

I think the baby blue is worst, titanium is one of the better colours up with black and white. The gold is uncommon I found

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:40 am

titanium rocks imo, if your not in too much of a hurry i`d wait it out mate :)
maybe they have some titanium ralliarts in stock??
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

tukkis
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tukkis » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks guys.

My heart says Titanium. Being a new car and one I'll keep for a while, I think its worthwhile to get the colour I want.

I've called another dealer (from another group) and waiting to hear if they might be able to find a Titanium somewhere in the country. Otherwise I'll have to wait till mid June.

Whats everyone's opinion on buying a car from interstate? It may be another option if its not too much hassle.

Looks like there's a couple of new/near new Titanium in NSW/SA

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm

if its new and at a mitsu dealer then your dealer should have access to it for u i would have thought?
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

jayce321
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby jayce321 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 pm

I would wait, specially if you're set on the colour. Especially the money you're laying down and in 1/2 years you might think I really wish I waited that 2 months( it will be June in no time)for that beasty titanium lancer.

tukkis
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tukkis » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:18 pm

debonaire wrote:I wouldnt swap to silver - not that nice a colour and has been around for ages. Titanium is a new colour so will set your car apart and not look outdated. When I got my Ralliart it was the only white hatch in the country and had to come from Melbourne - dont know what I would have done if I couldnt get it. Unless you need it urgently for some reason, Id hold out for Titanium. Beware though, a dealer is within their rights to raise the price if they want to (for any reason), so the price you have locked in isnt concrete, but if when the car is available it is more costly or has some more fruit, if you keep the current deal alive youre much more likely to still get it for the same price and the dealer will just take a hit for you, whereas if you take your deposit back and renegotiate then there is no chance of getting back to the initial amount. Speculation of course, not even the dealer knows what will happen to prices and stock levels between now and then.

How did you find your experience purchasing interstate?
Did you go collect it and drive back or had it shipped via truck?

This may be an option if the process is not too difficult.
Last edited by tukkis on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tukkis
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tukkis » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll stay with the Titanium

My current options:

1/ Stay with current dealer and wait to get stock in June
2/ Waiting to hear back from another local dealer who may be able to source one from interstate but at a higher price
3/ Look at purchasing interstate directly and drive/transport back home

Your thoughts?

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 pm

I would wait it out, especially if you are not in urgent need of it.
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

jayce321
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby jayce321 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:27 pm

I was looking at a vrx at first and ended getting the RA. There can be some awesome deals as crift said.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

tukkis wrote:[quote:5a987cf0e7=debonaire]I wouldnt swap to silver - not that nice a colour and has been around for ages. Titanium is a new colour so will set your car apart and not look outdated. When I got my Ralliart it was the only white hatch in the country and had to come from Melbourne - dont know what I would have done if I couldnt get it. Unless you need it urgently for some reason, Id hold out for Titanium. Beware though, a dealer is within their rights to raise the price if they want to (for any reason), so the price you have locked in isnt concrete, but if when the car is available it is more costly or has some more fruit, if you keep the current deal alive youre much more likely to still get it for the same price and the dealer will just take a hit for you, whereas if you take your deposit back and renegotiate then there is no chance of getting back to the initial amount. Speculation of course, not even the dealer knows what will happen to prices and stock levels between now and then.[/quote:5a987cf0e7] How did you find your experience purchasing interstate? Did you go collect it and drive back or had it shipped via truck? This may be an option if the process is not too difficult.

As far as the customer is concerned, there is no difference. My dealer just got it transferred from the Melbourne dealer.

The way Mitsubishi works, you cannot by a new car from interstate because they can't sell an unregistered car. Therefore, you need to be licensed in the state where you buy it. The only real way to buy directly from an interstate dealer is if it is a registered demo.

A couple more things top be aware of... if your car is sitting out there in another dealers stock, they have no obligation to send it to your dealer, and if they know it is a popular colour they might prefer to hold onto it for a customer of there own. Secondly, if they agree to transfer it to your local dealer, your local dealer would be well within their rights to charge freight costs to you (cost me about $800, but in my opinion worth it to get what I wanted - you don't want to compromise and regret it).

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”