***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Thinking of Upgrading to the new LX

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Do you think i should do it?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 17

Swift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Thinking of Upgrading to the new LX

Postby Swift » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 am

Thinking of going with a new LX model.
Heated seats, keyless entry, reverse camera kit, sports front seats and leather trim...plus more im probably missing.

before i go to a dealership i thought i'd just get some info/feedback here first.
Since I've never bought a new car before just wondering on a few things.
1. Can you order them with a sunroof?
2. They are currently marketed at $23,990 drive away...How much room do you reckon there is to move on this price?
3. What do you reckon I'd get as a trade in on my current lancer? MY11 ES with bluetooth, footwell lights, roar body kit with spoiler and Advanti Rims? Or just sell it myself?
4. How much would the rockford soundsystem cost on top?

Thanks for the help guys.

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 am

1. Pretty sure you can, it's just really really pricey.
2. Since it's a new model, I don't think you'll be able to move them too much.
3. Much much much better to sell it yourself. Dealers have to make a profit so they will buy it dirt cheap from you and mark it up when they sell it themselves. It's more hassle selling it yourself but well worth it in the end. Gumtree is free and fantastic for this. Just watch for scammers.
4. Couple of grand I reckon. Much better buying your own aftermarket system.

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 am

Oh and go back and forth between different dealerships and make them do a bidding war for your cash.

I recommend Paceway Mitsubishi in Osborne Park. Friendly and helpful people, and that's where I got my car from.

Swift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Swift » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:42 am

Yea my parents have dealt a lot with ozzy park ( 3 lancers and a triton), wasnt too keen on wanaroo, theyr service ive just found terrible, but will definatly try and play them.
Thanks for the help.

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:59 am

Yeah once you find a good dealer, stick to them, not many of them around :P

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 am

The LX is a good deal even if they cant discount. If you want to keep your rims I wonder if the dealer would be prepared to put the rims on your existing car onto the LX? My 2010 VR is worth around $13k trade in as I went to a dealer the other day when enquired about the LX. 2nd and aspire is also tempting as its a car you dont have to mod very much.

cjdee
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby cjdee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 am

Go with Paceway Mitsubishi. I recently bought my new lancer from there and they were great. Service was excellent and they werent pushy unlike a certain car group in Vic Park.

I would recommend anyone to Paceway

jonno2012es
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jonno2012es » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:07 am

Coming from a sales person perspective, those bidding wars won't help you as it will just annoy the sales staff and therefore not help you. Best thing to do is go in with what you are happy to buy the car for. However, at $23,990 there isn't alot of room to move (generally around $1000) for drive away programs.

Always best to sel the car yourself however its the hassel of doing it that people dont like.

Try and look at getting the car for $23,500 including metallic paint and get the dealer to swap the wheels over as part of the deal. If you don't want metallic paint offer $23,000 even (driveaway). Make sure you specify 12 months rego as some dealers only do 6 months to try and save a couple of hundred. Lastly, at the $23,000 offer try and get them to include little items like full tank of fuel, floor mats, etc.

Hope this helps, any questions just Pm me. :)
Low 'N' Slow.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:34 am

I'm also a former sales person and agree with everything Jonno said. Starting a 'bidding war' is the last thing you want to do. Have a look at my buying guide if you want.

I have personally loaned an LX for a day while my car was in service. In my opinion, its crap. The stereo is the cheapest looking thing I've ever seen, and some of the basics like auto wipers and foglights are left out.

Why would you want to trade in your current car anyway? You'd be far better off just getting leather trim and a reverse camera on your current car. Selling a new car so soon you're going to lose piles of money, and personally, I wouldn't be buying a base model Lancer at this point in the product cycle. Its over 5 years old and well overdue for replacement. There's a reason they're filling them up with goodies and trying to get them out the door - fact is there are much better cars out there for the money and the current Lancer is out of date. It doesn't even have the 5/10 warranty to save it any more.

If you're deadset on buying a new car, have a look at a Focus or Golf.

jonno2012es
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jonno2012es » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 am

The Focus is a great car. The Golf I have not driven before in the new model, but, it's a VW these days you can really go wrong with them. If you want to spend a little more money look at the Impreza or Mazda 3.

These days you can't go wrong with JAPANESE built cars. Personaly I think the Cruze is very underpowered. Realistically the Mazda 3 is a bit over priced too, but a great car.
Low 'N' Slow.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah I wouldn't get another CJ... Not cos they suck, just cos theres many more adventures to be had with other cars :)

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 am

I honestly can't make a good business case in trading in for essentially the same model car. I think you'll easily be throwing away 10K as the dealer will certainly devalue your current Lancer and won't budge too much on adding more value to the LX (i.e. reducing the driveaway price or putting in extra stuff).

With the exception of heated seats, you can get the other features of the LX elsewhere for much less. There are good shops that can do you a sunroof. Most others wanting the reverse camera would go for an aftermarket system from eBay. The camera itself is incorporated to the rear plate lights rather than a nasty thing sticking out underneath the Mitsubishi boot badge. Then you can buy a good head unit (plus the fascia) that is camera ready and has GPS. You just need an electrican to wire it up for you.

The Rockford, I think, costs $700 fitted. Just ring up one of the dealerships.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:11 am

Everything Squala, Dire, debonaire and Jonno said... .

AMEN.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:21 am

Good points everyone has made. I regret not getting the aspire in the first place, for some reason I never wanted spend the dollars at the time, it's pretty much got everything including factory hid's. May be not worth upgrading to the same model unless your cashed up and not fussed about $$ Down the track wouldn't mind getting the new corolla or the Lexus are a quality car as well. Can get a decent 2nd hand Lexus in the mid to high 20's.

Chill
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Chill » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:58 pm

For the price and features, didn't think you could go past the LX model. Cap price service I think is important and at $200 a service for up to 60000k's or 4 years, it's not bad. The space and room in these are pretty good for the size . Could be wrong but Just my 2 cents worth
Electrical fitter mechanic

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”