***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

VRX Manual vs CVT

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Syke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Syke » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:16 pm

even though there is issues with the manual i wouldnt ever swap it for a CVT but that is just personal preference.

CVT is worth the extra money if you spend most of your time driving around cities.
Syke
One step closer to owning an Evo

Google Is Your Friend! Learn to embrace it...
Check Out My Garage
http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1054

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:33 pm

i don't think the warranty is transferable.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:07 pm

I think the manual gear shift is fantastic. Feels really solid - comparing it to other cars I've driven I find it to be the best (Hilux, Mazda 3, Kia Rio and Cerato).

I have heard a lot more people complaining about the CVT tbh. The only time where there may be a problem is putting it into reverse. But this problem is common across a lot of manual cars - it's a fact of life.
All you do is just reclutch and it's fine.

The only warranty that is transferable is the 5 year service warranty. The 10 year power-train warranty is not transferable, which is a load of crap if you ask me.

The ideas of paddle shifters is cool though - that would be pretty keen. If I was to do a lot of city / peak hour driving I would definitely go for cvt so you don't have to clutch all the time.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Why do you think the CVT would be fun? I'd stay well away from a CVT, can't stand the noise they make and unnatural response, but thats my preference.

I would prefer a manual even for city driving, as when the speed/load/conditions are so variable from one second to the next you'll never be frustrated by a transmission that isn't doing what you want.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:05 pm

I can't work out what the excitement is driving a manual, I drove manual lancer for the very first time last week, had no troubles changing gears but i couldn't handle using a clutch in city driving that would drive me nuts.

Only advantage of a manual is cost and maybe running costs are cheaper compared to CVT? It's still fun driving a CVT in manual mode, can use for engine braking like i do, I've done 70,000 kms and still got 20% brake pad left.
Each to there own I say

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:15 pm

If it had six gears, I'd buy the manual in a heartbeat. The CVT is not for everyone, with mixed reviews so far. Having had it before the RA, I found its drawbacks quite acceptable given the benefits. The transmission worked very well with the cruise control, and driving steadily on the freeway is very relaxing. It definitely works better than any automatic with less than five cogs. As for cons, the drone issue has gradually grown on me. It's only during initial take-up anyway, but once you're at a set speed, it's not noisy anymore. Another problem is that feeling of lag when accelerating hard. I'm unsure about reliability though as I traded it in without any problems.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

BlueWRX
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby BlueWRX » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Syke wrote:even though there is issues with the manual i wouldnt ever swap it for a CVT but that is just personal preference.

"Like"

&
debonaire wrote:Why do you think the CVT would be fun? Id stay well away from a CVT, cant stand the noise they make and unnatural response, but thats my preference. I would prefer a manual even for city driving, as when the speed/load/conditions are so variable from one second to the next youll never be frustrated by a transmission that isnt doing what you want.

True.

Manual is way better more fun get that real feeling of driving a car.

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 pm

I would go manual all the way, the manual gearbox is easy to drive and more fun than the CVT!

As for the problems of the manual gearbox, the only problem I have (like many others on here) is the problem with getting the car from neutral to reverse sometimes! Easy fix though, just re-engage the clucth and then try for reverse, usually works majority of the time!

vr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby vr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:00 pm

I have a 09 VR CVT for sale under ten grand if you are interested

Sushi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sushi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 am

I've got a 08 VR manual, first car. Toke me a while to get used to. I drove the loan car when mine was getting a check up, it was a 10/11 ES CVT n I couldn't get over how gutless it felt, I love how quickly mine launches n having so much control driving.

mchvrx
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mchvrx » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 am

You have to drive them, I drove the auto and manual when I bought new and after only ever driving manuals, the CVT gearbox didnt appeal to me because it sounded like you were riding the clutch.

I bought mine prior to capped servicing, only 1 service has exceeded $250 through mitsubishi. Im about to have the timing chain done, i'll get back to you on how much $ it costs

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am

I regret buying the CVT, dulls down the car 10 fold, sounds like crap and is as boring as your nannas tea party to drive.

However if you just want to get from A to B half asleep then the CVT is for you.

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:27 pm

We just bought a 2nd car which is the Active with the CVT. Yeah, it does take a bit of getting used to (I drive a manual Magna) however when driving through town / suburbs, I find it really easy and not having to worry about the gears.

On highway its even better as the car is pretty quiet and low RPM, which is probably not the case with the manual lancer (due to 5 gears). Can't say for certain though.

The manual is only fun for when doing spirited driving and wanting more 'control' I guess. Plus the manual would have less powerloss through the drivetrain, so you would have a few horses more using a manual.

However I drove the CVT in manual mode and can't complain really. The 'driving the clutch'' feeling goes away and responds better. Not to mention the gear changes in the CVT are way quicker than a manual could.

So in reality, each box has its pros and cons. In the end its really about how YOU drive the car and what type of driving you will be doing most of.

Im sure you will love the car with whatever choice you make.
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”