***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

VRX Manual vs CVT

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Hmm does anyone know if the CVT actually has a higher top speed? Might depend on 2L/2.4L plus whether stock or not, whereas I think with enough room all manual lancers have the same top speed (gearing limited not friction limited).
I'd think CVT would have a bit more drivetrain friction...
Sorry if this sounds like a hoon question, I'm just curious. :)

CVT would have a physical limit to the ratio it could achieve, and maybe a digital limit, so I know it wouldn't be 'unlimited' disregarding power/friction...

Oh and I guess I hsould contribute. Personally, I find manual to be fun. I never get sick of changing gears as it gives me something to do. I don't have to deal with heavy traffic often but I don't mind when I do either.
I've never driven a CVT so no comment on which is better. :)

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Dire wrote:Personally, I find manual to be fun. I never get sick of changing gears as it gives me something to do. I dont have to deal with heavy traffic often but I dont mind when I do either. Ive never driven a CVT so no comment on which is better. :)

This is one of the reasons why I'd love to drive a manual. I used to often go with the Triptronic shift on the CVT... but after seeing that the fuel usage was much higher than when it's just on Drive I stopped it. -.- It sucks really, my drives feel rather boring on the way to uni and home all the time. But it does save me the pain of having to do the whole clutch thing when in traffic, I wouldn't mind it so much if I had to though. :P

In the end, CVT or manual it's personal preference; there are advantages of one with the other on both sides. :)
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:35 am

The CVT's higher top speed is only a theory. Due to more power losses, it would be harder for it to reach that compared to the manual. But the manual's fifth gear is much shorter than the longest ratio the CVT could stretch to, so when the mods come in, the CVT would have more remaining revs to allow for more kph.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah thats what I was thinking but whether or not it can actually reach those ratios on stock power idk (considering I don't have one :P).

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 am

The ECU programming in the CVT cars closes the throttle to 50% at 6200rpm, so no way a CVT is going to be quicker than a manual, which will happily rev to 7500rom.

Tong-sea
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tong-sea » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:29 pm

merlin wrote:The ECU programming in the CVT cars closes the throttle to 50% at 6200rpm, so no way a CVT is going to be quicker than a manual, which will happily rev to 7500rom.

case closed :) glad i got manual. not only its quicker and more fun to drive. it also keeps the mrs away from using my car. :) she knows how to use manual but shes not too keen unless its emergency. :)
Thong-sea

Sir Lancer-lot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sir Lancer-lot » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Reckon the CVT can change quicker than the manual so be interesting to compare round a circuit or mountainnroads. Prefer the CVT as manuals are pretty Stone Age trannys nowadays...
2011 VRX Sportback - 2.4L - CVT - MMCS

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm

The manual is sooo much more fun when you take the ASC off, far far quicker takeoff from the lights !!!! :) im really happy with my stoneage mnnual :) lol
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:30 am

SIX420 wrote:The manual is sooo much more fun when you take the ASC off, far far quicker takeoff from the lights !!!! :) im really happy with my stoneage mnnual :) lol
SIX420 wrote:The manual is sooo much more fun when you take the ASC off, far far quicker takeoff from the lights !!!! :) im really happy with my stoneage mnnual :) lol

This is very a silly thing to do. Surely you safety is more important then a little tyre squeal and speed?

I wonder how many members who say the manual is more fun have driven the CVT with the paddles.

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:53 am

Take note, the traction control is never completely off if I'm not mistaken. :P I don't like it either, but I wouldn't turn it off cos there's really no point to and it benefits you a lot, especially if you're running stock suspension and your car feels like a boat which mine does lol.

Sir Lancer-lot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sir Lancer-lot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:03 am

Do they have an off button for certain driving conditions ??
2011 VRX Sportback - 2.4L - CVT - MMCS

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:08 am

Sir Lancer-lot wrote:Do they have an off button for certain driving conditions ??

I don't think so, it's just that one straight up "ASC OFF" button on the right side.

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:16 am

Do they have an off button for certain driving conditions ??

only the snow/tarmac/gravel option.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:13 am

sleeper wrote:only the snow/tarmac/gravel option.

*doh* Steve ..... this thread is about NA Manual or CVT Auto Transmissions ..... *doh*
*nono* ...... Neither of which have a button for a snow/tarmac/gravel option ...... *nono*

Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L
Merlin Inspired Variable Engine Control

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”