***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

VRX Manual vs CVT

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Seffy wrote:Take note, the traction control is never completely off if Im not mistaken

Wrong...

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 pm

i have driven both and do oftenand i have both and i do prefer the manual over the CVT i find its more responsive but each to there own ofcourse , i suggest choose what best for your needs
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Ezza_1989
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Ezza_1989 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:41 pm

I have a CVT and would probably go a manual if I had it over. Car is great but the noise...haha gonna have to change that. Tap gears make the driving much better btw... :)

impossible
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby impossible » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 am

hate CVT, if u can get a manual which get more joy on it.

MadMax
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MadMax » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:08 am

Manual VS CVT. The debate goes on . . . :)

Can't vouch for the CVT, but the manual is so easy to drive I don't get people who complain about needing to use the clutch often. It's light, has a short throw, a wide take up point, and the gear change is smooth.
I have noticed that the gearbox takes a while to settle in. We bought a 2004 Lancer new, and the shift was stiff and notchy. Didn't really settle for about 10,000 km. Bought a 2011 recently with 28,000 km, smooth as silk, I don't need to even think about the gear changes, after 9 years in the 2004 manual its become pretty automatic. Clutch action and gear ratios are the same for the 2004 and 2011, except the 2011 2.0L has a lot more low down torque. Had a hell of a job finding a manual though, seems they are not popular.
I've got 2 auto Magnas as well, don't mind the relaxed style of motoring. Never tried a CVT, perhaps I will try one if my left leg ever drops off? lol

MadMax
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MadMax » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am

Top speed:
2011 2.0L CVT = 198.
2011 2.0L manual = 200 kph.

SammyH
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby SammyH » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:55 am

I would only recommend CVT if you're keeping the stock exhaust and city driving. That drone of an Auto is god awful.

If you're planning on modding go manual for sure, you won't regret it

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:59 pm

For those reading this... i sold mr cvt for a manula. caaant waaaiiittt to get it
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

Chris_el
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Chris_el » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm liking the CVT even if i've only had it for a day, after driving my manual 1997 Excel since my L's in 2002, I am enjoying not having a clutch. My wife and I are driving the Lancer and as she cannot drive manual, i compromised with the CVT as it least has the ability to change gears should i want to have some fun.

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:52 pm

CVTs arent to bad I drove my boyfriends cj manual inly around the car park I find both fun to drive
if mum didnt have MS I would have been taught to drive a manual
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Chris_el wrote:the CVT as it least has the ability to change gears should i want to have some fun.

not to be mean to u chris, but this is actually false believe it or not, the cvt does not allow the user to "change gears". the best way I can describe it is like the gears on a mountain bike, where u r a not changing gears in a gearbox, but rather changing the pulley tht the chain sits on.

CVT replaces the gears with two variable-diameter pulleys

quote from here, plus other info on cvt
Boost life scrambles the brain

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:49 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:I dont think hes talking about the mechanics Josh, just the fact that with the manual mode he can change gears when he wants and tells it to.

that is what I am saying, in manual mode, in the cvt, u are NOT CHANGING GEARS, this is a common misconception as the cvt is different to other automatics, like the sst lets u change gears, but the cvt lets u adjust the rpm of the car, not the gears. so for example, if ur driving and are approaching a red light, down shifting in a cvt will not slow the car down like a typical automatic/manual car, what u did was increase in the rpm, so if the car was in 4th, its still in 4th gear, just reving much higher

Boost life scrambles the brain

Chris_el
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Chris_el » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:I dont think hes talking about the mechanics Josh, just the fact that with the manual mode he can change gears when he wants and tells it to.

Yeah exactly, even if i'm not "changing gears" in the manual sense, it still gives my left hand something to do after all the years of driving manual.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”