***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Which EVO is best bang for your buck

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:39 pm

For what its worth, I envy the upmarket interior of the Golf. The interior quality of the Lancer is barely excusable in a $20,000 ES, let alone an Evolution.

A GTi was never on my list personally because it had much less power, I'd ruled out FWDs and I just don't like the layout of the interior.

As I was coming down from a faster car I was very picky, and in hindsight probably too picky. For you, any of the above is going to be great fun so I would consider all.

One last thing - personally I wouldn't like the idea of owning a twin clutch out of warranty (if you end up with one). A new Ralliart will cover you for 10 years, a used Evo (or RA) you'll only get a few years and VW you've only got 3 to start with.

Sir Lancer-lot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sir Lancer-lot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Being an ex-European car owner (BMW/Mini Cooper S) service costs can turn you white as a sheet...parts/labour are ludicrously expensive at the dealers - one of the reasons I went for the Lancer was cost of ownership and it won't send you broke when maintenance and servicing comes.

VW / BMW / Audi are all costly when the years rack up - a lot of the reason why second hand Euro cars seem cheap...build quality for paint / panels and interior are far better though..

All food for thought...
2011 VRX Sportback - 2.4L - CVT - MMCS

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Another Euro that is worth looking at:

The Volvo V60 T6, this is a 3 litre AWD turbo wagon thing, super comfy ride and interior, three transmission settings with 6-speed and it is quick.
Polestar offer ECU power upgrades and are factory approved. Nice car.

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:08 pm

not a SUV merlin, never a SUV fellah. *wink*
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Now that other cars have popped up, have you also considered Golf R? Likely EVO competitor. Or, megane rs - very quick but resell issues turn people off
All bleeding stops eventually!

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:36 pm

adamvrx08 wrote:Ok, you all make valid points. Except the Commodore and Falcon comments, these really only compete against an EVO in a straight line.

If you read my post properly, I did not say anything about Falcodores being slow. I just found the way they're made rather substandard. And while you're free to agree or disagree with my comments, don't say they're invalid. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion here.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 pm

sleeper wrote:not a SUV merlin, never a SUV fellah. *wink*

err steve v60 is a wagon not suv and is a fairly decent car too.... or if u want a sedan u can just go for the s60 with the same set up

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Golf R is a awsome car and as quick of not quicker than a EVO (puts on flame suit) plus it would be less of a target with Vandals, Cops and wanna be street racers.

and build quality is so far more advanced than the EVO its not funny IMO.

but at the end of the day its what YOU want. we can tell you to get this and get that.

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:39 pm

i was just going to say golf r. when me the mrs was looking for a replacement car to the dc5r she had choices, it varies on what you want to do with the car anyway.

looks and build quality i go with the golf r. awd
go fast around corners evox or sti but then again you sacrifice interior quality and plastics. crappy plastics.

ive got a x mr, its good its just plasticy as ive said. the mrs sad to say has the sti its good for petrol aswell but again plastic comes to mind.

if space is not an issue. I had a chance to drive subarus brz #009. engine wise its ok, its got a lil grunt comparing it to the dc5r the teg will shit allover the brz. but for something cheap, good looking and zippy i recommend it. its got the subaru crappy plastics tho.

ninjured
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ninjured » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm

id get that new special edition wrx in orange they look hot and come with a bunch of goodies

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Golf R's performance figures are barely a match for the Ralliart - in stock form... but both have quite big potential to unlock with a simple electronic tune. The beauty of the Ralliart is it's open source.
But the Golf has direct injection - so will be more frugal on fuel, given the same performance. Plus, better interiors and whatnot - being priced closer to the Evo X. If you value that sort of thing... but if you were in that pricerange why not go for the upper market brand of the VAG - the Audi A3/S3.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:03 pm

a member on here sold his EVO for a Golf R and said the Golf went harder, my dad has had a run in with a EVO X in his Golf R and beat him.

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Golf R's are very quick - they did a few compo's of golf R, evo X and sti when the golf was released. R frequently came out on top. I wouldn't want to take one on in my RA
All bleeding stops eventually!

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

ijustatecurry wrote:Golf Rs are very quick - they did a few compos of golf R, evo X and sti when the golf was released. R frequently came out on top. I wouldnt want to take one on in my RA

Really? Comparison tests saw the R accelerating slower than the Evo and STi. Even the standard WRX can beat it. Maybe a tuned R would be a different story, but the Japs can be made faster as well. Plus VWs are notorious for breaking down whenever they want. For a seriously quick Euro car in this price range, you can't go any better than the 135i.
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”