***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Thinking of buying VR-X in VIC

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Ledspy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Thinking of buying VR-X in VIC

Postby Ledspy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Im thinking of buying a VRX, but im open to suggestions from you guys.
My budget is 15-25k. Kinda limits me to second hand, is there much risk in buying privately?
Ive seen a few on carsales and some of the 2008 vrx are 2 litre. I thought they were all 2.4lt?
also noticed some dont come with the sub woofer?
are these actually vrx or modified other models?

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:47 pm

dont bother with a VRX, we have a few SX Lancers (povo 2L pack) that seem to be quicker than SS Commodores, his mates RA, and XR6T.

Yes ealry VRX had 2L motor (easy to see if add is correct, Red Tail light VRX = 2L Black Taillight VRX = 2.4)

but things you have to look at:

are you going to change the stereo?
Yes - dont bother looking for one with a Sub
No - if you fine one with the sub go for it.

are you planning on changing the bodykit ?
Yes - save your money and go lower spec Lancer
No - go for VRX then.

is the 2.4 a Must
Yes - go VRX
No - save money and get lower spec, and spend the saved $$$ on performance mods like headers and exhaust.

im sure others will have a imput that will be more helpful.

Oh and go Visit Nick at PMR (sponsor on forum) he will get a good deal for you

Ledspy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ledspy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:46 pm

thanks for the info

Ledspy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ledspy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Im not planning on changing the stereo, not unless its total crap. can anyone comment on the rockford sub?
and I like like the factory vrx body, however I would like to black out the front bumper part in the future.

So im wondering is it worth it to pay $3k or more for a 2.4l or just save the cash and get a 2.0l to spend money on other parts? :?:

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 pm

I have a 2008 VRX and I quite like the Fosgate sound system with Sub Woofer already in the car! The 2.0 Litre isn't bad in my opinion, enough power when I need it (engine unmodified) with manual transmission.

I believe VRX Lancer's made late in 2008 until today do feature the 2.4L engine. The 2007 and early 2008 models had the 2.0 litre engine. I have a MY08 and love the car, did look at a brand new 2011 SX but it didn't have as good features like Bluetooth, Side Skirts, Auto Headlights, Auto Rain Sensing Wipers, Climate Control (absoulutely love it) and the Fosgate Sound system!

The CVT Auto VRX's also come with Paddle Shifter mounted behind the steering wheel!

I am not the modding type so that was one of the main reasons why I bought a VRX over an ES or SX!

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:33 pm

I had a MY08 VRX too. To be honest that car was great fun to drive. While the 2.0L engine seems like it doesnt have much power, it was very fast off at the lights. As Andrew said the goodies that come with it are fantastic. For an everyday car you can't really beat it.

The only thing I can recommend you doing is to test out the different spec cars. If youre not going to mod it much then i recommend you finding something you like from the start, especially in terms of handling. My dad owns an MY09 Activ and i find it wallowy around the corners. That and the seats offer no support when taking a corner more enthusiastically. I wont say that the VRX seats are the best there are, but they are a lot better then the lower spec ones.

Rockford sub is also brilliant too. Wouldnt need to change it for my needs.
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Hey Quinton, welcome to club CJ!

For your budget of 25k you could get a second hand VRX or Aspire with ok kms on it. Or you could get a brand new VR.

If you like the VRX or aspire as it is (which is already pretty good) get the second hand VRX or aspire, if you plan to change a lot of stuff, get the cheaper brand new VR or SX and spend your money on modifications.

Or even better still, get a second hand ES and you'll have a lot more money for mods.

The factory RF sub is all right. Pretty good for stock but there are much better set ups out there. And there isn't much difference in power between the 2L and the 2.4L.

If you like nice things and don't plan to change them, get a second hand VRX or aspire (for the HIDs and chrome!).

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:21 am

The only reason to go for the bigger, let alone turbo engines is if you need the extra performance. Test drive is definitely the way to go. If the 2.0 is enough for you, then treat yourself to brand new. You can get an Activ then haggle a bit for goodies, such as floor mats, full tank and perhaps VRX wheels.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Ledspy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ledspy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for your comments guys, ill be testing a few over the weekend.

Stripler
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Stripler » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 pm

If you like luxuries and you find a good example then it's a great buy. Are you going manual or auto? The vrx auto has paddle shift which you wont get in lower spec models. You also get touch sensitive doors, 18" rims, auto lights and wipers (really cool) fog lights and keyless start.

I would go for the 2.4 liter. I got the 2.0 liter (didn't know about the 2.4 liter and there were none for sale at the time) and even though there isn't going to be much difference (about 10kw), with your budget you may as well get the best you can so you don't wonder about it later. The 2.4 liter models also get the usb port I believe. Something I wish i knew about.

I looked at mazda 3 sp23, subaru liberty and VRX and for the money you get more bling and features with the vrx.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:56 pm

I've worked on many of this club's cars and supplied many of the parts.

My advice only considers 2 things:

1. Compare the engines, take a drive in a 2.4L and a 2.0L. If you CANNOT tell the difference, you're better off sticking with a 2.0L. If you feel even a 2.4L doesn't have enough GO, you need to be looking at a RA. Don't buy and then regret.

2. EVERY feature you see in a VRX can be retrofited into a ES or SX or Activ EXCEPT ONE: The SMART Key.
So if it's something you can't live without, you need to buy one of the upper trim cars.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Ledspy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ledspy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:18 pm

thanks for the advice,
I will be going for the manual, which unfortunately is less common. Also I want the silver or grey colour, so it kinda narrows down my choice. A customer drove an olympic lancer into work today, i think it was gold but it looked kinda green. But very nice colour...

Im really keen on the 2.4l, even though I dont drive that often. Ideally I would like to eventually do some performance mods. How fast can these things go? I want to get to around 150kw. Ill start trolling around the mod forum once I get the car... :twisted:

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Maybe you should test drive an RA haha. You don't drive often so fuel isn't a big issue, and for your upper budget of 25k, you could find some decent second hand RAs. I highly doubt you could get the NA lancers to 150kw... It's a 2L NA car, you're not going to be getting significant gains with minor mods.

Go test drive a normal lancer and an RA and see which one you like better, keeping in mind the RAs require much more maintenance and are more expensive to maintain too.

Ledspy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ledspy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:36 pm

if i had the cash i would get the evo for sure :)

ill test drive as many lancers as i can tomorow.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Ledspy wrote:if i had the cash i would get the evo for sure :) ill test drive as many lancers as i can tomorow.

Who wouldn't?
Two more cars you should test drive:
1. An RA.
2. Go test drive a FT86 while you're at it.

Then buy your Lancer happily.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”