***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Buying a Ralliart

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Oh.. thanks Andrew.

So are these the same headlights that the Evo have?

They should add sunroof into this pack also :(

richo7502000
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby richo7502000 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:34 pm

LaNcE wrote:well im a lil biased too richo! good to see you hopped in a RA!! i love seeing your car in the lot but the reverse camera sucks big time!

Haha Yeah just realised who this is :P
Yeah mate the Reversing camera mount thing on the back of the boot does look funky....I think it has finally grown on me though and I dont dislike it as much.
Next time your rostered on at the same shift as me give me a yell, Ill give ya a look. I'm liking the new colour instrument display over the red ones of the older cars though...

I am still getting used to how to drive the thing....to me drives nothing like a manual, or an auto...thinking a tune to get rid of the huge lag off the line will be worthwhile but as I have only clocked up 500km so far in it, it may be bit early to start playing. I guess jumping out of a 285KW R8 Clubsport manual, it was always going to feel different.....But I do love the little thing!

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:15 am

Richo, what made you decide to switch from the HSV to RA? You can do the tune after a few thousand kms.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 am

richo7502000 wrote:[quote:70112cff37=LaNcE]well im a lil biased too richo! good to see you hopped in a RA!! i love seeing your car in the lot but the reverse camera sucks big time![/quote:70112cff37] Haha Yeah just realised who this is :P Yeah mate the Reversing camera mount thing on the back of the boot does look funky....I think it has finally grown on me though and I dont dislike it as much. Next time your rostered on at the same shift as me give me a yell, Ill give ya a look. Im liking the new colour instrument display over the red ones of the older cars though... I am still getting used to how to drive the thing....to me drives nothing like a manual, or an auto...thinking a tune to get rid of the huge lag off the line will be worthwhile but as I have only clocked up 500km so far in it, it may be bit early to start playing. I guess jumping out of a 285KW R8 Clubsport manual, it was always going to feel different.....But I do love the little thing!

yea! we are on the same shift always anyway!

You should give us a ride on that hsv. i never thought it had that much kw lurking under there!!

richo7502000
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby richo7502000 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:54 am

squala wrote:Richo, what made you decide to switch from the HSV to RA? You can do the tune after a few thousand kms.

Well, honestly I havent swapped from the HSV to the Lancer, i do lots of car shows (V8 Supercars's, F1 GP, etc, etc) with the HSV and since I split from the wife 12 months ago, it had become a daily driver, so I bought the ralliart as a fun to drive, still performs well "daily driver" and i am keeping the HSV for nice sunny days and HSV Owners club cruises and shows. In saying that the Lancer is a beautiful car and i would love to do CJ club cruises etc in it with you guys too!

LaNcE wrote:[quote:da4bd36049=richo7502000]
yea! we are on the same shift always anyway! You should give us a ride on that hsv. i never thought it had that much kw lurking under there!!

Yeah Jose, the Clubby is a bit of a sleeper, sure it has the lary HSV spoilers but it also gets up and trots too.....Its only 1630 kg (about 100 more than the Ralliart) with way, way more KW and torque.... although I really have to admit even with the 19's and HSV suspension, it doesnt handle as good as the stock Ralliart in some ways, and has a bit more problem with wheel spin etc, although I do wish the Ralliart had the Harrop brakes the Clubby has...it stops much better :lol: Will take ya for a spin anytime!!

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Looks like I might be getting the Ralliart quicker than I thought...

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/
They have a 0.9% interest rate sale at the moment. Read the fine print and should be ok.

Has anyone gone for this deal in the past and had issues / regretted it?
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:54 pm

just do it :)

.09? pick me.

theres a cruise on the 30th with maybe 3 or 4 RA`s, be good to make it 1 more.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 pm

el3ment wrote:Looks like I might be getting the Ralliart quicker than I thought... http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/ They have a 0.9% interest rate sale at the moment. Read the fine print and should be ok. Has anyone gone for this deal in the past and had issues / regretted it?

I wish I could do this to get stupid interest down to an absolute minimum, but they're only offering 48 months max.
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby aznlancer08 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:39 am

hmmm the special finance offer of 0,9% comparison rate seems very appealing.

I've got a 08 ES that I'm looking to get rid off, perfect timing for a brand new ralliart!!!!

i'm working overseas at the moment on a 26/9 off and will be back in melbs next week hoping to get a decent deal on a ralliart sedan. hopefully 7 days back in melb won be too short to shop around for a new ralliart.
If you see a blue lancer in Melbourne and it looks like a VRX, that'll be me!

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:51 am

That finance deal is for anything purchased AND delivered within the month of September (ends 30 Sept). So it would have to be one that's sitting on the lot of the dealer you visit or one nearby. And I don't think they will be too open to haggling and bundling of driveaway pricing - so instead of $40k driveaway which is a typical deal for a new Ralliart buyer, you'll most likely be looking at RRP ie. $44k, plus dealer devliery charges, plus whatever they slap on top for the 'driveaway price', to qualify for this 0.9% APR finance.

Having said that, this was exactly the type of deal I was chasing after when I was car shopping earlier in the year. If any brand/manufacturer had offerred something similar then, they would've had me as a customer.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:18 am

aznlancer08 wrote:hmmm the special finance offer of 0,9% comparison rate seems very appealing. Ive got a 08 ES that Im looking to get rid off, perfect timing for a brand new ralliart!!!! im working overseas at the moment on a 26/9 off and will be back in melbs next week hoping to get a decent deal on a ralliart sedan. hopefully 7 days back in melb won be too short to shop around for a new ralliart.

Here's a long piece of advice. It's quite a lot of reading but could sweeten the deal a fair bit with a few hundred to a thousand dollars off the package and/or extra free goodies. I would like to see another owner of a turbo Lancer.

To get a good deal off an RA, it's good to know its weak points and use them against the dealer to give you a nice package.

- doesn't sell as well as Mitsu had hoped
- less powerful and slower than similarly priced WRX
- rubbish paint
- too many hard plastics
- no reach adjustment for steering wheel
- front seats not sporty enough, and if Recaros were optional, they don't adjust for height
- no manual option
- usually ranks lower than its competitors in comparison tests

Don't get me wrong, the RA is a great car, but like all the others, it isn't perfect.

And if you're trading in your old car, go to http://www.redbook.com.au to see its value. It will also show you the number of kms it would have typically run. If your odometer falls within the range, print a copy of the webpage and bring it with you.

It's also best to return your old car to stock, as dealers will devalue your car through mods, particularly performance ones.

Now's the big one. The dealer will most certainly rip you off by offering a really lower price for your old car, and equip your new ride as little as possible. After hearing out all that, you can counter it with your own proposal. Tell him, "I'm one of the few believers in the Ralliart, but it will take some work to convince me to sign." Mention all the weak points above. Then show the redbook printout and demand that your car be traded in within that price range. Also point out that you're having second thoughts because it can't be had with a manual, whether or not it's true. The floormats and full tank will have to be there, and if you're good, you'll also be driving away with slimline plates thrown in ($90 at VicRoads). Remember, finalise the package first before going to the finance part. The Mitsubishi website has a finance calculator so you'll have a rough idea of what you're in for. If the dealer doesn't budge, just ask him straight, "Do you want the business or what?" Write down your mobile number on a small card and say you're just a text away. Oftentimes, he will give in and you finally come back to sign on the dotted line. I'm sure their sales targets have increased given the 0.9% comparison rate. If your proposal is realistic enough, he will give you what you want or at least come close to it.

Let me know if you need more help. Cheers
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 am

and dont forget nick at preston motors ralliart, one of our sponsors :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby aznlancer08 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 am

squala wrote:[quote:d118c0f710=aznlancer08]hmmm the special finance offer of 0,9% comparison rate seems very appealing. Ive got a 08 ES that Im looking to get rid off, perfect timing for a brand new ralliart!!!! im working overseas at the moment on a 26/9 off and will be back in melbs next week hoping to get a decent deal on a ralliart sedan. hopefully 7 days back in melb won be too short to shop around for a new ralliart.[/quote:d118c0f710] Heres a long piece of advice. Its quite a lot of reading but could sweeten the deal a fair bit with a few hundred to a thousand dollars off the package and/or extra free goodies. I would like to see another owner of a turbo Lancer. To get a good deal off an RA, its good to know its weak points and use them against the dealer to give you a nice package. - doesnt sell as well as Mitsu had hoped - less powerful and slower than similarly priced WRX - rubbish paint - too many hard plastics - no reach adjustment for steering wheel - front seats not sporty enough, and if Recaros were optional, they dont adjust for height - no manual option - usually ranks lower than its competitors in comparison tests Dont get me wrong, the RA is a great car, but like all the others, it isnt perfect. And if youre trading in your old car, go to http://www.redbook.com.au to see its value. It will also show you the number of kms it would have typically run. If your odometer falls within the range, print a copy of the webpage and bring it with you. Its also best to return your old car to stock, as dealers will devalue your car through mods, particularly performance ones. Nows the big one. The dealer will most certainly rip you off by offering a really lower price for your old car, and equip your new ride as little as possible. After hearing out all that, you can counter it with your own proposal. Tell him, Im one of the few believers in the Ralliart, but it will take some work to convince me to sign. Mention all the weak points above. Then show the redbook printout and demand that your car be traded in within that price range. Also point out that youre having second thoughts because it cant be had with a manual, whether or not its true. The floormats and full tank will have to be there, and if youre good, youll also be driving away with slimline plates thrown in ($90 at VicRoads). Remember, finalise the package first before going to the finance part. The Mitsubishi website has a finance calculator so youll have a rough idea of what youre in for. If the dealer doesnt budge, just ask him straight, Do you want the business or what? Write down your mobile number on a small card and say youre just a text away. Oftentimes, he will give in and you finally come back to sign on the dotted line. Im sure their sales targets have increased given the 0.9% comparison rate. If your proposal is realistic enough, he will give you what you want or at least come close to it. Let me know if you need more help. Cheers

Hi there Al,

thanks for the great pointers - had some trouble sleeping last night thinking about a new ralliart - when i got to thinking about the dealership / negotiations i fell asleep lol.

unfortunately rebook isn't working when i loaded up the search engine - i'm not sure if ti's because of the internet here but it usually works. my ES has 82000kms on the clock, serviced as per the book, have not been in any accidents and in very good nick (straight body). A few years ago I added an original VRX spoiler and original set of VRX rims as seen in my profile. looking at carsales.com.au, i'm hoping it will go for about $13k.

a couple of years ago i had a look at the ralliart and the driver away pricing was between 42-42k for a stock ralliart. Do you think 40k is do-able with the 0.9% finance offer? (I haven't been to a mitsu dealership for 2 years and have completely lost the plot re. pricing).

I actually think what you pointed out was exactly why I looked into different cars - the wry being one prime example, as well as the GTi (for its handling/plush interior). Looking on mitsu's website for pricing, the ralliart's RRP + drive away (approx 49k) is equal to that to the GTI at the specific options level I wanted.

Having said that I still love the lancer a lot - for its awesome body shape and AWD handling.
If you see a blue lancer in Melbourne and it looks like a VRX, that'll be me!

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 am

Redbook is broken for me too - so perhaps the site is not working right now.

$40k driveaway for a new RA with no options should be doable. Since the financing is done via a third party (ie. St George Motor finance) the dealer would be paid the same either way so they might be more inclined to accept.

Squala/Al's tips are very spot on. + I'll add don't play favourites with the salesperson or dealer. Don't think that the compassion or connection they extend to you is genuine - they're all just out for the money and don't see you as human. You're just a sale, just more dollars to their take home pay. Be prepared to walk away at any stage. They will have ample opportunity to follow up with you and get back to you.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, there seems to be something wrong with the site. First time that's happened.

I presume you have a 2008 ES. $13K might be a bit ambitious quite honestly. The VRX cosmetics may help but not by much. My 2009 VR Platinum was quoted at $15K trade-in from Redbook about a year ago, so yours would be less by today. The dealer will normally rip you off by about $1,500 to $2,000 of the actual trade-in value, so ask him to appraise it by that much.

Selling the car privately will help you get a few hundred extra, but that will take some time and be rather tough for a Lancer.

Another pointer to take note of is the RA's RRP. The dealer tries to use it to his advantage as Mitsu's driveaway prices are usually lower than that. But it is your right to haggle. Be firm with what you're offering. He will probably write down stuff on a piece of paper, including the prices for both the old and new car, explaining everything in the process. You can also write down your own offer, so that's the price you want for the ES, driveaway you're wiling to pay for the RA, full tank, floor mats, slimline plates, and other stuff you want included.

$40-41K without the luxury pack should be a doable figure. Adding that option should be about $3K.

I was also thinking about the WRX being the V8 killer it is, but it's just not a pretty car and 5-speed manual doesn't cut it. My friend already has a GTI, very well made and bigger than it looks, but servicing costs are a nightmare, and notorious VW breakdowns made me look the other way.
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”