***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Lost my licence :(

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

acejay17
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Lost my licence :(

Postby acejay17 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:18 am

Hey Guys,

Like the subject title says I've lost my licence for 3 months and have to keep my ralliart car parked for 3 months without driving...It sucks but i know i deserve it (the suspension) :(

Just had it serviced oil change/oil filter change by mitsu before I had to park it away.

I just wanted to ask you guys, if there is anything I need to do to my car on a regular basis while it is parked to keep it 'maintaned' or operational ?

The service guy just said, leave it on for about 1/2 hour once a week in its stationary position and that should be enough- so the battery dosn't run flat.

Do you guys recommend doing anything else or is what the service guy recommened enough?

Cheers,

13EZY
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby 13EZY » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:06 am

yeah just lend it to me and i'll make sure the fuel stays fresh and the oil lubricated :P
"That's page 1, chapter 1 of the petrosexual handbook"
(Lord Clarkson - Series 17 Episode 1)
Ride Of The Month June 2011

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 am

I'd start her up for 15min each day. Keeps engine lubed and lined, battery won't go flat. Once a week is too far apart IMHO
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR
Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE
2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:34 am

I would go further and get someone to drive it once a week personally... Just a 10 - 15 min drive to get it up to temperature.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 am

Just ask Troy (aspir3) he knows all about moth balling a lancer :P:P

Mitsi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mitsi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 am

I'd get someone to drive it too, not just for engine but tyres don't usually fair too well left in the same spot (so I'm led to believe)
2010 Lancer Ralliart <3

Stalker
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Stalker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 am

i lost mine for 6 months a little while ago (got it back in march). just started it up for 15 min every few days. did a few revs to clear out the cob webs haha. also got friends to drive it every now and then. never had any problems. just watch the brake when you drive it again in 3 months. they tend to gather a layer of rust and will feel a bit sloppy until the brake pads wear the rust down. was especially a problem for me living so close to the ocean. always had sea spray coming in as it is parked in kinda open area. i dunno it might not be as much of a problem for you.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:42 am

Get someone you trust to take you for a decent drive every now and then. Preferably with you in it. Not just for 15 minutes though.

A friend was looking after his father in laws Aston DB9 and would just take it for short journeys and then put it away. He was too scared to take it any further. The battery went flat anyway. He ended up having to drive it from Brissy to near Ipswich for work at least once a week to keep it happy.

Oh and by the way......idiot :P

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:03 am

15 minutes should be plenty once a week especially if the car is driven rather than sit there. Chances are the battery is on the way out of it goes flat after being driven once a week.

evolution_1988
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby evolution_1988 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am

Agree with Shane, getting someone to drive it for 15 minutes ONCE A WEEK, is much better than just letting it sit IDLE for 15 minutes everyday which is overkill...

When you drive it, the transmission fluids are able to flow therefore lubricating it (due to the load of driving), same goes for the diffs.

I dont believe tyres will be affected for a time period of only 3 months, you have to consider tyres in warehouses stay stationary for quite some time as well.

This just a quick bit of info to back that up....
Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.
- TireRack

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59 am

Well lets put it this way.

_ Car is made on production line
- car driven to holding yard
- car could sit in holding yard for 3 + weeks waiting for a ship
- car driven on ship
- car sits on ship from the land of JDM for 4 - 6 weeks approx
- car driven off at dock to holding yard
- car sits in holding yard until trucked to dealership
- car put on display as a new car and not driven until purchased.

You car is used to sitting around doing nothing not being driven, last car shipping Doco I saw did not have someone start all 4000 cars on the ship once a week.

acejay17
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby acejay17 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks for all your responses fellas :D greatly appreciated!!

Chubb
"You car is used to sitting around doing nothing not being driven, last car shipping Doco I saw did not have someone start all 4000 cars on the ship once a week."

Haha I lol'd :D

But seriously thanks for all the feedback guys, this comunity never dissapoints :)

I've got it parked underground, undercover, so not real worried about rust hopefully.

But I guess the general Idea is to get it driven at least once a week or so, now...just to find someone I trust to drive it !!

Oh and Stalker, you said your was sitting around for 6 months ? How did you find ther performance after you got your licence back? Was it the same as it use to be (after the initial few start ups to clear everything up) or did it feel more sluggish / less powerful at all ?

Just wondering if the ECU kinda resets or forgets your driving habits after sitting for a period of time.

Guys, thanks again !!

Stalker
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Stalker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:19 pm

nah car felt fine to drive after that time. didnt notice any drop in performance. as i said though i did start it regularly and had others drive it.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm

3 months is not that long.

Things I would do is run the engine for 10-15 minutes with the air conditioner and heater on. This will keep your seals moist which stops them from leaking.

The battery is another issue. Try to get a trickle battery charger or solar panel.

Get some one to take it for a 15 minute drive after 6 weeks.

Keeping your car on pot stands will stop the tyres from getting flat spots on the bottom too.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Chubb wrote:Just ask Troy (aspir3) he knows all about moth balling a lancer :P:P

Proof: :shock:

*lol*.... I really shouldn't talk .... *bolt*
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

Return to “Maintenance”