***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help with servicing

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Help with servicing

Postby klvru » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 am

Hi,

I'm about the buy a 2009 MY10 Lancer RX. It has 19,000km on the clock, but when I looked at the service booklet it only did the service for 1,500. However, he insisted that he had done the service for 15,000 but the dealer did not record it in the book. Is that possible? Is there any way I can check if he had done the 15k service?

I actually asked how many service he had done before checking the book, he said twice which is 1500 and 15000 but when he looked at the book, he look as if he didn't know it wasn't recorded.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:48 am

Ask for receipt from the dealer, and if he hasn't got that, he should be able to get a copy from the dealer showing he had it serviced. How many months ago was his 15,000 service?

If he/she isn't willing to provide those details (or can't) because he hasn't done the service, you have to make a choice.

do you use it as a bargaining chip to get the price down, because at 4,000k over the last required service interval should not be a big problem with the oil. However if you decide to but this car, change the oil ASAP and not wait until 30,000, that's just asking for problems or voiding of the warranty. Might by worthwhile checking with Mitsu customer care re: if this is enough to void warranty.

or do you walk away as it's not worth the risk, who know what other problems the current owner is trying to conceal.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:44 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:Ask for receipt from the dealer, and if he hasnt got that, he should be able to get a copy from the dealer showing he had it serviced. How many months ago was his 15,000 service? If he/she isnt willing to provide those details (or cant) because he hasnt done the service, you have to make a choice. do you use it as a bargaining chip to get the price down, because at 4,000k over the last required service interval should not be a big problem with the oil. However if you decide to but this car, change the oil ASAP and not wait until 30,000, thats just asking for problems or voiding of the warranty. Might by worthwhile checking with Mitsu customer care re: if this is enough to void warranty. or do you walk away as its not worth the risk, who know what other problems the current owner is trying to conceal.

I gave Mitsubishi a call and she said if there's isn't any problem that cause by the late service then it should not void the warranty.

I texted him this morning for the VIN number and if is possible for him to get the receipt. Still awaiting for his reply though.

By your experience, have you seen any lancer with any particular problem when it only has 19k ?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Also another thing to note is that the extended warranty will most likely not have been activated. The dealer has to activate this, and some tend not to until the initial 3 years is close to being up.

This means you will only have a 3 year warranty rather than 5 year. You are not entitled to the extra 5 years warranty to make it up to 10 year, as it is not exchangeable.

If the 15,000 has been done, I would be inclined to get the owner of the car to have the book stamped. That way Mitsu cannot come back and void any warranty claims, even if they say the service being late won't affect the warranty.

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03 pm

LZY_EYE wrote:Also another thing to note is that the extended warranty will most likely not have been activated. The dealer has to activate this, and some tend not to until the initial 3 years is close to being up. This means you will only have a 3 year warranty rather than 5 year. You are not entitled to the extra 5 years warranty to make it up to 10 year, as it is not exchangeable. If the 15,000 has been done, I would be inclined to get the owner of the car to have the book stamped. That way Mitsu cannot come back and void any warranty claims, even if they say the service being late wont affect the warranty.

Sorry I don't really get this, doesn't mitsu comes with a 5 year or 130,000km* Factory Warranty that is fully transferable to the new owner? I know the 10 year Powertrain Warranty is not transferable though.

I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and see if he is willing to get it stamped as he lives quite far away from the dealer.

Thought I could get a good deal with the car but then there's this servicing issue

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:08 pm

That's right, but as I said unless the dealer activates the extra 2 years the vehicle will only have 3 years. If this is not done while the original owner has the car, it will only have 3 years, and cannot be activated.

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks for the note! I didn't know that, will ask if he have it activated or not.

Return to “Maintenance”