***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What grade oil in brand new Lancer?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Alan
INACTIVE Member Account

What grade oil in brand new Lancer?

Postby Alan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:17 pm

2010 CJ lancer SX hatchback manual...

With regards to a 6 month oil change as against the first service set up I thought no problems ie. out with the old in with the new, first ring my dealer find out what grade oil to get.
There are 9 dealerships in my area and no one came up with the same answer, it's hard to get past the girl on the switchboard and the service man who books you in, you dont get to speak to the actual work shop forman or the mechanic who does the oil change.
You get advised to read the manual when you study it there seems to be a very wide selection of oil grades one can select.
makes me wonder how it works, does the same grade get used in new cars sold in Darwin as opposed to ones sold in Tazzie with a vast difference in opperating temps.
This post is not meant to be a whinge just an observation, I have got myself sorted out I used a well known oil 10 W 40.

Alan

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:05 pm

The question would've been valid if you were enquiring about oils for re-topping, but otherwise you should choose the oil that's suitable for the operating conditions your car will be in, as in the manual.

10W-40 is probably the best all-rounder if you're not going to temperature extremes.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:18 pm

No 2 dealerships will use the same oils.

Most of them though will opt for a 10W40.

But they can't tell you either since they might change suppliers every 3-4 months.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Theres no vast differences in operating temps in Australia unless you live in a very specific and small area.

There are many threads about what oils are good... If you care about what goes into your car, read all the talk about synthetic oils and pick a popular one from them.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:02 am

I agree with Ofey.

No 2 dealerships use the same oil. It's whatever deal they can make with the oil supplier as to the cheapest oil they can supply that meets the specifications of Mitsubishi.

Just as a note, any dealership that uses Magnetec Professional (Castrol) are using 15w-40, as with Halvoline (Caltex). Just my observation from working in different dealership workshops.

For an all rounder, stick to 10w-40. But being in Perth, you can use with no hesitation and within specification 5w-30/5w-40 as well, just for a little less friction :)

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 am

Alan,

In most of Aust the best oil for the temps encontered would be 15W-40. been using it for yrs no problem.

As Gabriel said, a 10W-40 is also good, fractionally less friction than a 15W.
my dealer, Paceway uses magnatec 15-40, a good semi synthetic.

Return to “Maintenance”