***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Trolley Jack Locations?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Trolley Jack Locations?

Postby dannyboi » Fri May 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi everyone,

Could you guys let me know where is the best place to trolley jack the car up at the rear?
Would it be the axle, as that seems like the most obvious thing to use. I'd like to use jack stands at the jack points on the rails near the wheels.

Just wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

Cheers,
Danny

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to use jack stands with a standard jack.. So if anyone has any advice on this either please let me know :)

(Sorry for high jacking the thread Danny - just thought it would be a good place to pose the question)

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri May 27, 2011 2:19 pm

BrownSound wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to use jack stands with a standard jack.. So if anyone has any advice on this either please let me know :)

(Sorry for high jacking the thread Danny - just thought it would be a good place to pose the question)

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

mmm maybe jack the car up and place the jack stand under the chassis rail.

My question to you is that if you need to ask this question maybe you shouldn't be jacking your car up and doing what ever work you plan to do.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm

i jacked my car up recently with a trolley jack , place it on the chassis rail , further down from the stock jack location.

Jack it up and i placed my jack stands on the stock jack location. No dramas
Lancer Evolution 10MR

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri May 27, 2011 2:24 pm

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Fri May 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Chubb wrote:
BrownSound wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to use jack stands with a standard jack.. So if anyone has any advice on this either please let me know :)

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

mmm maybe jack the car up and place the jack stand under the chassis rail.

My question to you is that if you need to ask this question maybe you shouldn't be jacking your car up and doing what ever work you plan to do.

See my worry was that the manual specifically states not to jack further up chassis rail. And you are probably right - I probably shouldn't, but if I don't I'll never learn right?

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Fri May 27, 2011 2:56 pm

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Fri May 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Leez wrote:http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7110

There aren't rear differentials on the FWD Lancers right? The rear jacking location doesn't appear to be there on my car.

Having a quick look around in the dark, the rear axle still appears to be the best point.

soniclancer
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby soniclancer » Fri May 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Get a good set of ramps much easier to work on the car that way my 2cents

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Fri May 27, 2011 8:31 pm

soniclancer wrote:Get a good set of ramps much easier to work on the car that way my 2cents

Not if you want to remove the rear wheels to paint the calipers :P

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat May 28, 2011 9:32 am

After spending the night researching on using a trolley/floor jack on a front-wheel-drive car, I've come to the conclusion that there is no recommended location for using a trolley jack at the rear of the car.

I assume it's because that there isn't anything at the back that needs regular maintenance, unlike the oil and coolant flush at the front, so a hard point hasn't been incorporated. On a RWD or AWD car, the diff housing can be used as a jack point as it's one of the hard points.

I was originally thinking about using the suspension crossmember, but it looks like other car owners have managed to wreck their wheel balance and alignment by jacking from that location, so it's a NO NO. I've only ever had to jack the front up on any car, so this is new to me.

Here's a photo of the rear underbody (on SAM-24A's car):
There aren't any obvious hard points that I can tell.

It looks like the only proper way to get the rear wheels off is to use the scissor jack on the chassis rails, one at a time. Trolley jacks are not recommended for use on the rails, without an adapter, as there is a risk of bending the sheet metal.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:45 am

Jack it from here. It will not affect your wheel alignment. I personally jack each side at a time. I only need to jack it from the front jack point and the rear comes off the ground as well but that could be all my under body bracing stopping the body from flexing.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat May 28, 2011 9:49 am

In that case, I'll take your word for it. I'll try it later today.

Cheers,
Danny

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Sat May 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Really can't see how this turned out to be such a drama requiring research just jack from the central rear cross member or from either side. You ARE NOT going to bend the car jacking it from the side.

Christ I have had mine airborne and I have not twisted the body the work, my car also tripods very badly on a regular basis often with the rear wheel 20 - 30cms in the air (my driveway is that step).

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat May 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Chubb wrote:Really can't see how this turned out to be such a drama requiring research just jack from the central rear cross member or from either side. You ARE NOT going to bend the car jacking it from the side.

Well I wanted confirmation that the rear crossmember could be used as a jacking point for the floor jack. This is a matter of both safety and to prevent damage to the car.

Most of the things that I've come across refers to either using the rear differential housing or a specific manufacturer jack point, both things that FWD Lancers don't have at the rear. I asked the question in the first place as the car manual specifically says not to jack the car up anywhere else apart from the jack points on the rails.

Anyway, my question has been answered by Troy.

Return to “Maintenance”