***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

NA CJ Lancer Servicing Complete Thread

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: NA CJ Lancer Servicing Complete Thread

Postby Mooman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:39 pm

The more you can get and supply the better off you'll be, just had my first service after cap priced and learned the dealers are as unscrupulous as imagined.

First issue they tried to change wiper blades, same trick Volkswagen used on my parents. My car has non servicable blades.

Second they wanted to do an alignment at almost double any independent place would charge.

Third they charged for tyre balance and rotation despite the tyres obviously being quite new, less than 1000k.

Fourth issue they put on a charge for tests similar to Pedders 28 point check for more than what Pedders charge.

I'm sure if my brake pads and discs hadn't been changed recently then there would have been charges for them.

For a schedule A service (simple oil change) I ended up being over $400 lighter in the pocket, half of which is labour charges. Will probably be looking elsewhere from now on if I can't do it myself.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:10 pm

If your living in the northern suburbs I can give you the name and phone number of a good A grade mechanic. He has serviced my cars for the past 26 years, comes to your home and is fair dinkum and reasonable. I dread the day he retires!

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Had my big service today, very happy with the outcome. With the Denso IK20TT plugs I provided, as well as the 5w-40 Castrol Edge (note that it is SN rated and not SL like the 'recommended' 5w-30), oil filter, and engine flush, it came to $357.72. That is using genuine transmission fluid as well, otherwise it would have been cheaper if they could use Penrite. Just need to put on my new wiper blades :). I think a lot of that saving comes from the spark plugs (some places charge $160+ for the four 'special' twin tip plugs), and providing the own oil, filter etc.

I got this done at St Marys auto Repair in Adelaide. I highly recommend them, they do a fantastic job. They're also RAA and MTA approved.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

The manic mechanic
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby The manic mechanic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:51 am

I was looking through my service manual as my car has reached 48mths & service alarm has gone off. The manual says at 48mths its due for an A & C maintenance schedule. Near the top of the C service schedule it says to replace engine oil & filter every 7500klm! Does this mean that once the C service is reached that oil & filter must be done every 7500klm from this point on? Or that oil & filter shouldve been replaced at 7500klm from the start?

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:02 am

Must look at my service manual, if its the same. due for 2nd service in a fortnight will check it out, Oh not till after service has been completed.
My services are free, included in purchase deal. Check what you sign when you put your car in for a service. If necessary add scheduled service only, beside your signature and at the top of the page.

Happened to me many years ago. Took my car in for the scheduled service there was only one under 1yr warranty then.
was handed service form to sign, I said look all that is needed to keep within the warranty requirements is an oil change and that is all I want done. I'll check the rest. they insisted I had to sign their form. So, I added the words in red at the top of the form Oil and oil filter change only and signed the form.
Went to pick up the car and was handed this whopping bill. Said I'm not paying that, all I agreed to was an oil and filter change.
Service manager with a smug grin, said I'm afraid you've got to pay this, you signed this, thrusting the agreement at me. I replied yes and I also put that at the top of the page in. Red faced he insisted. I replied, I presume the keys are in the car, you have my phone number, ring me when you are willing to accept payment for the oil and filter change. Call one hour later asking me to come in and pay for oil an filter change.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:05 am

My next service is the 120k (about 110k on the clock) and its gonna cost me about $350 which includes a brake fluid change, they may also do the radiator coolant depending on what they find, that's another $85. Its booked for the 21st, the only day I could do it before the new year.

This is at a dealer (long story to do with used car extended warranty) but how does it compare to other places. In the past I've not found much difference.

BTW this is on an 09 VRX manual.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

The manic mechanic
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby The manic mechanic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:44 pm

All of the previous service history (before i bought it) was done at the 15000km intervals by the book. The service book now says at 48mths a C service schedule is due & it clearly states oil & filter to be changed every 7500klm at top of C schedule! Having been factory serviced i thought the Mitsubishi grease monkeys maybe wouldve said something if a service interval had been missed!

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:22 pm

Normal service interval on the NA cars is 12 months or 15k. There is an optional 6 month 7,500k service. This intermediate service is not required to keep you in compliance for warranty. It's still not a bad idea to change the oil and filter in between services.Hope this helps.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Cool so I'm not over due, my 105k service was done at about 95k with about 6.5k of the last year spent going to Adelaide and back in 3 weeks.

Is it worth asking the Mitsy service about things like changing some setting on the ECU or which every computer does things like looking the doors when you go over 25kph?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

The manic mechanic
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby The manic mechanic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:44 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:Normal service interval on the NA cars is 12 months or 15k. There is an optional 6 month 7,500k service. This intermediate service is not required to keep you in compliance for warranty. It's still not a bad idea to change the oil and filter in between services.Hope this helps.

So the 7500klm option is more for extreme condition/ heavy usage then?!

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 am

The manic mechanic wrote:
lancerdarryl wrote:Normal service interval on the NA cars is 12 months or 15k. There is an optional 6 month 7,500k service. This intermediate service is not required to keep you in compliance for warranty. It's still not a bad idea to change the oil and filter in between services.Hope this helps.

So the 7500klm option is more for extreme condition/ heavy usage then?!

Yes,that's correct.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:41 pm

To get 15,000 km you should really only use a decent quality fully synthetic oil as well.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Will be getting second scheduled service in 2 wks: MY15 Warranty 100000km or 5 years. so far 1st service no extra charge!
Received:- 5 free services on purchase, priced at $260 each. Saving of $1300. If anything extra has to be done, I, on handing car over request to be asked first as required in the service booklet . As I sit in their waiting room this can be done instantly.

The manic mechanic
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby The manic mechanic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:30 pm

burfadel wrote:To get 15,000 km you should really only use a decent quality fully synthetic oil as well.

yeah im using the valvoline synpower 5w/40 long life full synthetic oil!

The manic mechanic
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby The manic mechanic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 am

What type of manual transmission oil is specified for the 5speed boxes? Is it normal gear oil or something special?

Return to “Maintenance”