***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Steering wheel off centre

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue May 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Good result mate.

I suspect what has happened when Bob Jane have aligned it they have put the car up in the air before locking in the wheel.

The best alignments I have had are when they lock the wheel in while on the ground, so they can ensure the wheel is 100% perfect :)

I have found every new car I have got has never had a perfect alignment either.

CJS1337
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CJS1337 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks LZY_EYE
I have found every new car I have got has never had a perfect alignment either.

Really? Wow. This is my 1st newie and kindof expected everything to be... well... errr.... new!

I remember my very 1st car about 7 years ago - a VS Commodore with over 220,000 kms on the clock and paid about $4k for it - had this same steering wheel issue as I described above. You'd expect it to happen to a car like that, but certainly not in a brand new one! Definitely something to watch out for in new cars then.

Karl_M
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Karl_M » Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 am

Iv got the same problem with my '10 VRX. From day one my wheel has seemed to be off center by about a 2-4degree angle. I though it may just be me & the way I was sitting, so I moved my seat into different positons and all but still no luck.

I got them to do a wheel alignment at the 1st 1500 km service but 1st bit of straight road I hit I could still tell that it still was not right.

Should I take ib back to them again & tell them to take the wheel off, or can it wait till the next service

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am

I wouldn't leave it till the next service.

If they have actually not aligned the car correctly there is the chance that you will chew your tyres out much quicker than if the alignment is correct.

Also, if you leave it till 15,000 kms they are likely to tell you it is not covered and make you pay for it.

CJS1337
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CJS1337 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:25 pm

@Karl_M

I'd be taking it back now too mate. Make sure you tell them that the steering wheel needs to be centred and the front wheels aligned (adjusting toe in/toe out) so they both point straight ahead, relative to the steering wheel position. Tell them to take the steering wheel off if needed and/or perform the steering alignment - whatever combo is needed to get it all straight!

Otherwise, they'll just align all 4 wheels so your car travels straight, but your steering wheel will still be off centre. (like they did to me :x)

Seems these days with some mechanics (especially mobile phone companys, utility companys, banks and their bills), you have to explain things in depth while still keeping it in baby talk so they 'get it'. Then sometimes you have to make sure that they did their job properly like some sort of school teacher or ticket inspector!

I really hate being like that and don't want to be a pest or be 'one of those customers' but sometimes you have to follow them closer than normal to get things done properly.

Return to “Maintenance”