***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Buff and Polish - good idea or not?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Buff and Polish - good idea or not?

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm thinking of getting my car buff and polished possibly once a year. To remove swirl marks and fine scratches.

Having a black car you can see every blemish. Is doing this a good thing or stay away from it?

Another thing is paint protection, I don't believe my car has this from factory so want to buff and polish and paint protect it. Is paint protection any good or worth it. Does it even offer a good protection.

Thanks

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 pm

On a new car a cut and polish is not really necessary.

I would use a very fine cut and polish on fine scratches by hand only. Do not use a machine as it is no necessary. Using a electric buff will do it quicker but take more paint off then necessary.

I do use a paint protector and recommend every one to use one but again apply it your self by hand. Dealers will do it but charge a lot of money and use a machine buff which is not as good as doing it by hand.

I use Gelson paint protector.

The procedure I use is as following.
1. clean car
2. cut & polish any minor scratches out
3. apply paint protector

All the above are done by hand and in the shade or under cover on a cool day.

ianmartin
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ianmartin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Paint protection, what a joke hehehehehe.

I had mine applied by the dealer when i purchased it new, i too have a black one as well/

Well lets just say it cost Zupps nearly $2000 to fix the mess they made of my paint.

I have been informed by a very reliable source that paint protection is not worth the money we pay as it is generally washed off after 2 to 3 washes.

Just use a good quality wax, i use maguires tech wax and im very happy with the results. And if you do get it buffed, make sure the person knows what they are doing. They have to buff the Mitsibushi paint on a very slow and light pressure. As the paint they use is very soft as im sure lots of us on here can attest to this.

But remember Black cars are shockers for showing up dirt and marks

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 pm

My bonnet has a fine scratch which annoys me and no idea how I got it. Want to get it buffed out once I get it back that is.... That's another story.

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Anyone use Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0? My mate told me about it and how he uses it on his black honda euro and loves the stuff.

Also mentioned it removes the appearance of minor scratches. Has anyone here had any experience with this product on our thin painted lancers?

monty888
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby monty888 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 pm

I wanted to get my car buffed to but a total noob.I've seen a lot of buffers charging around 200$$ for a full service* Was also wondering if it's worth doing even if it's not garaged. I've been getting mixed opinions such as - if not garaged GET IT DONE! And not garaged ? Don't even bother !

whitenight
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby whitenight » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm

i use the meguires next gen 2.0 i think it is good gives it a really deep shine but doesn't protact it from stone chips (bugger) for the light scratch ive used mothers scratch remover not bad i have removed a light sratch with this cost about $25 a bottle

Return to “Maintenance”