***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help needed!: ASC "Service Required" Error

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Help needed!: ASC "Service Required" Error

Postby cyssero » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi all,

Hope everyones Lancer is going a little smoother than mine today.

On my way to work, my 08 CJ Lancer (CVT) suddenly lurched and I lost acceleration. Within a second or two a warning came up and said "SERVICE REQUIRED". The icon was the stability control/traction control image which lights up in the wet when it kicks in, except now it had the SERVICE REQUIRED message. I believe the engine light also lit up at this stage.

I pulled over, called out NRMA and they weren't able to get their diagnosis tool going through the OBDII port. About an hour later, I turned on the car and it didn't have any warning lights, so I cautiously continued to work. Car was behaving fine for the rest of the journey (80km) and no more warning lights.

What does this all mean? I will certainly take it in to a service centre but I'm curious why I received an error and it's now gone entirely. I chatted with a local Mitsubishi service agent and they couldn't look at it on the spot but said if the lights weren't on it probably wouldn't break down on me.

Of course I'm a little concerned but I also need to drive a lot to get to/from work so I can't give it a rest until I can book a schedule. Has anyone experienced something like this before or know what could have caused it? Is it a one off hiccup or am I doing some damage driving it without getting it checked first?

Appreciate any ideas you come up with!

Thanks.
Last edited by cyssero on Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

whitenight
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby whitenight » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:07 pm

had the same thing happen to me in my ralliart put it down to moisture due to all the recent rain in brisbane plus not driving it for a period of time so i disconected the battery for 1/2 an hour reconected it and all has been fine since.

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks for the reply whitenight. I'm hoping it's a one-off like yours and won't happen again.. I drive about 800km/week and the car is used daily, very surprising to see this considering I haven't had any warnings yet.

Booked in for service next Wednesday (at which time I would have driven about 400km) so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:24 pm

I had that same fault come up when I went thru a puddle on the way to Melbourne in the first week of December, then again beginning of January. First time I was unsure of what to do, like u, but started the car and went ok, second time I didn't even pull over, just waited till I was going down a hill, put the car in neutral and turned it off then on and carried on driving :D

Haven't had the light on since, I got to service my car soon so will put the MUTT on and check for codes

OHH YEA!!!!

stewy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby stewy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Could be worth getting them to check that the sensors on the back of the wheel hub are tight and not a bit loose (mine did that once or twice then completely tripped out from coming loose). Losing acceleration is a safety risk, get them to check it out and make sure the sensors are tight and push them to do it under warranty.

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks for everyone's replies, much appreciated.

I will definitely suggest they look at the sensors in the wheel hub. Stewy, when you say yours completely tripped out, did you lose acceleration at the same time?

Mine felt like I had shifted from 4th to 3rd in CVT mode at around 80km/h, engine surging with speed decreasing.

And you're right - it is a safety concern to lose acceleration on a busy highway during peak hour. It might not come up again but I will still have it examined.

AJjnr86, interesting to hear it's happened to you a couple of times.. would be good to find out what is throwing the error!

After some reading on CCJ it appears the ASC light is triggered for a variety of reasons, even when LEDs are installed and the ECU thinks the wheel sensor isn't working. I will have it looked at and share my results.

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:34 am

Mine I think where both caused, like Kens, by moisture. Will check it out when I can, I don't think I'll have any fault codes but will let u no

OHH YEA!!!!

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:14 am

Hi all,

Just for those interested - I took it in for a check at Mitsubishi service and they couldn't find any faults. Looks like a one-off and I've driven maybe 1200+km since the incident and it hasn't repeated itself.

There definitely was an engine surge and warning lights, so it reacted to something. I doubt I'll ever know what though :)

Glad I got it checked out for free, and they even gave it a wash (was filthy before it went in). I don't like to test warranties, but the whole process appeared fairly straightforward & honest.

Cheers

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 am

I've had this issue TWICE in the past week on my Evo X.

Once when I launched to try out new boost gauge- warning came on but went away after I reset the car. spareparts kindly ran his computer through it and couldn't find any fault codes.

Happened again yesterday when I was on Wakefield (with ASC on) and got a bit of 3 wheel action. Definitely could feel ASC turning off because suddenly things got slippery so I had to tone it down and come off the track. Resetting the car made it go away though! (for anyone who's interested I switched ASC off for all remaining laps and had no issues- it was great).

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

brad smith
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby brad smith » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:33 pm

i resently lowered my 2011 vrx lancer and i get the same light poping up, i also have led's installed but the light came up before i installed the LEDS, the LEDS i installed have built in resistors so i dont think that is the problem. does anyone else have any ideas on what it could be? i think it could be the wheel sensors since i lowered the car but i dont know how to checks these. can anybody give me a hand??

brad smith
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby brad smith » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm

i have also lost my cruise control since this light has been popping up.... :(

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Try checking the connection on the MAT sensor. I had the same problem and I pluged my code reader in and found 2 dtc I found moisture in the connection due to the seal not being installed correctly and a loss connections with the pins
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:25 pm

If it goes away after turning acc off for a while and turn on And get no code. The problem is no longer there
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

brad smith
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby brad smith » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:04 pm

sweet thanks for the help guys.

Return to “Maintenance”