***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Torque wrench and socket advice

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat May 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Sounds like what I got in recent months, although I got cheapo stuff :P

Proper jack stands and a decent trolley jack are awesome.

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Sun May 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I ended up getting a set of 3000kg jack stands from SCA for $20 and the 3/8" torque wrench for $83. I didn't buy a trolley jack though, instead I am using the jack that came with out CRV to raise the car which gives me a lot more height than the standard jack does.

I decided to re-tighten my nuts though and set it to 105 Nm, the manual says that nuts should be between 88-110 Nm and it really doesn't seem tight enough. When losing them again it doesn't requite much weight at all. Is this me just being paranoid? Or are they meant to be that loose? I did notice that on the other wheels the nuts are much much tighter. Could this be an issue with the wrench?

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm

BrownSound wrote:I ended up getting a set of 3000kg jack stands from SCA for $20 and the 3/8" torque wrench for $83. I didn't buy a trolley jack though, instead I am using the jack that came with out CRV to raise the car which gives me a lot more height than the standard jack does.

I decided to re-tighten my nuts though and set it to 105 Nm, the manual says that nuts should be between 88-110 Nm and it really doesn't seem tight enough. When losing them again it doesn't requite much weight at all. Is this me just being paranoid? Or are they meant to be that loose? I did notice that on the other wheels the nuts are much much tighter. Could this be an issue with the wrench?

I think I got the same jack stands that were on sale. The ones I got were on display and were the last ones as Bankstown last week. Also got the same torque wrench. The quality is a bit iffy, but it's alright so far.

Where is the recommended torque in the manual? I didn't catch it last time I read it. I've been setting the torque to 110 Nm, which is maxing out the wrench.
I think they are meant to be that loose. Without a pipe for leverage, I don't think I can undo the stock tightened bolts, which would really suck if I had a flat.
I would believe that they use a rattle gun for tightening, and it could end up more than 110 Nm if they don't use a proper setting.

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Yeah I went to Auburn and they had 10 left but keep them out the back and don't have any signage for them out the front. I only knew about them because of the catalogue online - 65% off is ridiculous!

I found the torque recommendation on page 6-20 (yes I am a little weird for remembering that). But that is for the spare wheel. I just assumed it would be the same for the regular wheel.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Very good pricing. My dad's old ones were rated for 750kg each, whereas these SCA ones are rated for 3000kg each.

Good find on the torque recommendation. I never read that bit. I'm sticking with 110 Nm, as the consensus on other forums is that it should be 80 lb.ft, which is roughly 109 Nm anyway.
Doesn't hurt to use the torque wrench again about 1000 km after installing the wheels, as suggested in the manual.

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Sun May 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I guess it should be regular practise to test the nuts along with tyre pressure, oil levels and such any way.

Which trolley jack did you end up buying? The one for $47.95 (1400kg) or $99.95 (2000kg)?

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun May 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Well I didn't have a torque wrench for the past year, so I couldn't really do much about it.

I bought the 1400 kg one, took it home and found out I couldn't fit the stands underneath. The 2000 kg one was sold out at SCA, so I got a refund. Went over to Repco and bought a Pro-Lift 2000 kg one. I think it's about the same as the SCA one, but SCA seems to get bagged out a lot so that was factored in.
It was $160, but I think it drops down to $100 at times.

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 pm

New SCA catalogue is out... 3/8 drive torque wrenches are now $59 while 1/2 drive are $70 :(

Return to “Maintenance”