***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Weird random question :)

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

scheris
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Weird random question :)

Postby scheris » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 am

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum I wasn't sure where this question is meant go...

Ok so this is probably a stupid question but the fan in my car seems to be emitting some weird random smells. It doesn’t happen when the air con is on or when I put the normal fan on. It’s just the normal air coming into the car. So far it’s been arse crack smell and now it’s migrated to bad pee smell... So my question is does anyone know what affects the vents that filter the air in? Maybe I just need to do some clean on an air filter or something? I have two air vent car fresheners in at the moment and one normal one sitting on the centre console. So I don’t understand where this smells are coming from!

I don’t think it’s the air outside coz i seems to be worse in the morning when I start the car. The air outside is fine doesn’t smell like what the car emits..

Any ideas anyone? It’s driving me nuts, especially in the last couple of days with the bad pee smell...smells like I visited some street corner that every man and his dog has peed on....

Help!

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:40 am

How old is your car and how many km's has it done? the reason I ask is it could be your cabin filter making the smell, all air entering the cabin comes via the cabin filter. To get to it you need to remove your glove box then pop the top of the filter housing you see in the dash. A new one of these will set you back about $25 from Repco or super cheap or $50ish from Mitsu.

scheris
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby scheris » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:45 am

The car is an 2009 VR model and only about 12,000k's on clock. I might give that a go on the weekend, see if it helps.

So do I just ask the ppl at SuperCheap for a cabin filter and they'll know? Or is there some specific name for it?

Thanks in advance!

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 am

I have the Ryco part number in the car, I am about to go home for lunch so I will get it out and post it up for you.

scheris
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby scheris » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks for that :)

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:40 am

Ryco part number is RCA182P

Paggsy
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Paggsy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:11 pm

FYI

SCA - Special order from ATAP $33.45 ETA next day delivery.

Dont know about the Repco price.

Hope that little tid helps you out!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Do you turn you air conditioner off a minute before you stop the car?

If not the moisture will built up in your system and attract mould and mildew. If you do it all the time it will smell like urine after a while.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:15 pm

aspir3 wrote:Do you turn you air conditioner off a minute before you stop the car?

If not the moisture will built up in your system and attract mould and mildew. If you do it all the time it will smell like urine after a while.

really I never knew that, I always leave mine on.

MattyvR
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby MattyvR » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 pm

^ What aspir3 said, should always turn your air conditioner off a couple of minutes before you stop if you arent planning on driving for more than an hour or so, especially night time. This happened to a mates car, and he used shoe deodoriser on the filter to get rid of the smell, and also washed it out. Worked for him, worth a shot or just buy a new filter.

scheris
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby scheris » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Hmm, didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. Nice.

Well I've only had the car for about 2 weeks and have only used the air con about 6 times. So it's possible the old owner used to do that so I'm not really too sure about the condition of the filter.

Now that I know that now tho, I'll avoid doing that that.

I'll check out the filter on the weekend and assess the situation and see whether a new filter would be a better way to go....I might have to put up with the smell until then.

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Do you garage the car, or is it parked outside ?

Could be cat's pissing on it ????

jimmytim
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby jimmytim » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:15 pm

There are cans (single use spray) that you run with the air con in re-circulation for like a few minutes and it goes through your entire system killing bacterias, gems, etc...just like a flee bomb.

It's called vac or something like that. From memory they are under ten bucks from auitobarns.
Hug me please!

scheris
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby scheris » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Well it's outside as the crap the inlaws horde get garage space liberties and they do own two cats...but all the other cars are outside so don't see why they'd pick my car to pee on over all the others.

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Cats don't follow rules ....

Return to “Maintenance”