***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Reset service reminder - problem

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JohnJohn
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Reset service reminder - problem

Postby JohnJohn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm after some info on resetting the service reminder, plus some feedback on oil changes. Sorry for the long post!

I changed the oil & filter on my MY10 ES manual last week, and when I finished I wanted to reset the service reminder. I read the instructions I found here on ClubCJ:

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=604&h ... e+schedule

but it didn't work, and now my service reminder is set to 23,600 km and 17 months, which incidentally is 15,000 km and 12 months added to what was there before I tried the reset. No matter what I try, nothing seems to work. Don't know how I screwed it up but I did. I'd be happy to disable the service reminder - I don't need to be reminded when the car is due for a service.

As to the oil change, the car has done 6,400 km and is about 8 months old. I got the oil and filter changed at the 1,500 km dealer service, and the recent oil & filter change I did myself was approximately 6 months after that. In theory I could have left the oil in until the 12 month mark, but that just didn't seem right. Also, again in theory, I could have left the original oil in the car until the 12 month service - but I really don't think that's a good idea.

I used Castrol Magnatec, and a Mitsu filter.

Any comments on oil changes? I really don't think you should leave Magnatec (or GTX3, which is what the dealer used) in a car for 12 months.

Oh, and does anyone else have trouble reading the oil level on the dipstick properly? With fresh oil I just cannot read it properly, and despite putting in the recommended amount of oil (4 litres, plus 300 ml for the filter) the oil doesn't seem to reach the second hole on the dipstick.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Not sure how the service reminder works but here's some tips on your other points.

Oil changes done regularly should in theory keep your car well protected. Magnetec is a FULLY MINERAL oil, despite the marketing tactics. THese will not last the distance of 15,000km especially if you drive hard. So good on you for deciding to change the oil.

As for the dipstick, try to leave it in for longer... new oil is generally very light coloured and flows very easily, so it may not have time to stick on to the dipstick..... and we have long dipsticks too, so it doesn't help either :)

Also, it helps to let the oil settle in by driving around a bit first.

Hope this helps.

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:04 am

When the service reminder is reset it only adds 15,000 k and 12 months, you can have services added or deleted with Mitsubishi MUT scan tool. Service reminder can be turned off by having ignition off and press info button till its displaying reminder, press info button till it beeps, release and press again till it beeps, release and press again till it beeps, release and press again till it beeps then press quickly through the options till off is displayed, hold buttonin to set.

big_d
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: Reset service reminder - problem

Postby big_d » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am

JohnJohn wrote:Oh, and does anyone else have trouble reading the oil level on the dipstick properly? With fresh oil I just cannot read it properly, and despite putting in the recommended amount of oil (4 litres, plus 300 ml for the filter) the oil doesn't seem to reach the second hole on the dipstick.

Did you run the engine before trying to get a reading off the dip stick?
The oil needs to be pumped around the engine & get to normal operating temperature before it will give an accurate reading.

JohnJohn
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby JohnJohn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks for your advice, guys.

Yes, I do warm up the oil before checking it - go for a drive of about 20 kms, park in the garage (dead level) then let the oil settle for about 5 minutes before checking it. I just find the Mitsu dipstick hard to read - much prefer the cross-hatched type.

As to the service reminder, well, no matter what I do the only option I get presented with is "AUS" and no matter what I do when it is displayed the service reminder doesn't reset. No idea what's going on there, will just have to put up with it until I get the car serviced.

Return to “Maintenance”