***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Dealer Oil Change and stock tyre pressure

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Kimmy wrote:Is it better to use Mitsubishi oil, or is it just a rip off?

As for the tyre pressure... I have no idea about this stuff. I recently changed my tyres/rims so does this mean the tyre pressure changes too? :oops:

There is no such thing as "Mitsubishi" oil per se. It's whatever brand the dealer chooses to buy in bulk. As long as it conforms to the specs set out by the manufacturer, then it's typically fine. However you'll find that dealers being a business, will put in what ever is the cheapest. Usually a mineral oil or a mineral/synthetic blend.

Re: tyre pressure, tyre pressure changes all the time. I check my tyre pressure at the servo every 2nd or 3rd fuel fill. Correctly inflated tyres = more fuel efficiency and from a safety viewpoint, gives the best chance of a shorter stopping distance in case of an emergency.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Kimmy
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Kimmy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:34 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:
Kimmy wrote:Is it better to use Mitsubishi oil, or is it just a rip off?

As for the tyre pressure... I have no idea about this stuff. I recently changed my tyres/rims so does this mean the tyre pressure changes too? :oops:

There is no such thing as "Mitsubishi" oil per se. It's whatever brand the dealer chooses to buy in bulk. As long as it conforms to the specs set out by the manufacturer, then it's typically fine. However you'll find that dealers being a business, will put in what ever is the cheapest. Usually a mineral oil or a mineral/synthetic blend.

Re: tyre pressure, tyre pressure changes all the time. I check my tyre pressure at the servo every 2nd or 3rd fuel fill. Correctly inflated tyres = more fuel efficiency and from a safety viewpoint, gives the best chance of a shorter stopping distance in case of an emergency.

So what should I be using as my tyre pressure? I don't have the stock VRX wheels anymore..

Lucky Dog
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lucky Dog » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Depends on what size you've got. From what I've been told by tyre shops in the past, 15" 32-34psi, 16" 34-36psi, 17" 36-38psi, 18" 38-40psi, 19"40psi. Very rough guide only though.

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 pm

VRX recommended press, stock wheels is 36 PSI.

That works fine for most circumstances, also this press will give you good hydroplaning resistance at 100-110kph and below, assuming your tire has good tread of course. The lower the tyre press the lower min speed at which dynamic hydroplaning can begin.

As far as oils go, as has been mentioned, the dealerships usually use a bulk buy oil. Mine uses Castrol Semi syn, 15-40, which works fine,great,awesome, whatever word you want to use.
You guys who are stressing over these choices can save yourself the stress unless you thrive on it.

ALL OILS whether semi syn or full syn will work perfectly to protect your car so long as it is the min rec grade or higher for your car, eg SH, SM etc and is the right viscosity for your ambient temp ranges.
As I have stated before, a 15-40 is excellent for the higher than 100F/38 C temps found in many places in Aust and more than thin enough for the coldest temps likely to ever be encountered in Aust.
Depending on whose temp/viscosity chart you look at a 30 grade is rated to approx 100F/38C max. Aust temps can be 45-50C+ depending where u live.

Oh, if you take in a more expensive oil and want to make sure they use it,( as much as u reasonably can) buy at least a 5L bottle, ie more than our cars need and ask them to put the bottle with the remainder in your car for your own top offs. Hopefully that will mean they used it and didnt keep it for themselves, if you can change it yourself, then you know it was used.
Summers coming, stay cool,.......and make sure your engine does too.

:)
Last edited by aussie027 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

XIeddie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby XIeddie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 pm

For the tyre pressure, I recently decided to pump up my tyres to 34psi on the stock 16" es rims. I found that the drive was much more comfortable than what the pressures were before I decided to pump up my tires.

If I remember correctly, the tyre pressure was around 28-30psi before I pumped them up and I only had the car for about three months.

As for the fuel economy, that is highly dependant on your driving style more than tyre pressure in my opinion. As a very typical 18 year old (haha), I like my spirited driving styles during the night, along with a drag race every now and then at the lights. I personally did not find too much of a difference in my fuel economy with the pressure change but the feel of the drive was much better with the higher pressure. Even my girlfriend though so even though she does not drive at all lol.

So unless you are very anal about tyre care and every single other expense for your car, I personally think you should just test out some tyre pressures for your own liking. Remember to do it when your tyres are cold as well otherwise the pressure will be screwed around with due to the expansion from heat...

Eddie

edraven
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby edraven » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 pm

*hides guilty look* apart from tyres, rotors and pads my last drive didn't get any love or attention... I drove it into the ground (intentionally). Wasn't serviced for 135,000Km. It's still parked out of the front of the house waiting for me to be bothered to have it crushed into a cube. Should pull the sump plug to see what sludges/crawls out of the bottom of the engine...

That said! The new drive needs all the love and attention I can pour onto it (strict 4 year life cycle as I use it for business, need the resale value in it - Also there are tax offsets for maintenance etc).

Has anyone had experience with Werribee Mitsubishi allowing you to bring in your own oil and other replacement components at service?

I'm on the fixed rate service so I'm assuming they'll still charge the same regardless of using mine or their consumables/components.

kris vrx
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby kris vrx » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:30 pm

please people if you care about your car do not mix oils!!!!!!! the additives in some when mixed with others will bond together and form lumps or worse still will turn the whole lot into a thick sludge, some of this sludge will sit on the bottom of the sump but some will be deposited around the engine causing excess wear. ok if you only keep the car for 12 months but if you intend on long term ownership not good.

Return to “Maintenance”