***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Washing/Detailing your lancer.

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

graeme85
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby graeme85 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:08 pm

gave the vrx her first was today - using the following products and 5 hrs of work (not sure I can call it work, coz I loved every minute of it)

Ployglaze Wash - will use a better one next time
Autoglym Aqua Wax - very easy to use
Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing
Armorall Glass Cleaner
Mothers Protectant
Selection of Microfibre cloths from Autoglym and Kenco

Pretty happy with the results

The arsenal

The Shine

Love those lines

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

OMG is that... what you call in... in the back ground..... is that ummm..... Sunlight :shock:

graeme85
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby graeme85 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:15 pm

yeah very limited time to take these photos - also washed the car in the rain and had to move into carport to finish off

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:24 pm

okay guys , here's a link to the right way of washing your car which will keep your car shining for a long time , without leaving bad swirl marks

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.cohen1 ... d_Book.pdf

i know it's longer than the usual car wash steps but in a long run , you won't need to spend hundreds to get a detail for it before you sell the car etc

Do it right the first time !
Lancer Evolution 10MR

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 am

Sheesh, I go away for awhile - I come back and the thread has so many posts!

Lee, yes, they did end up using my products ;) Well, some of them :) Also, I don't have to write up a DIY :P this is more detailed than I could put up in a short amount of space and time :).

And Graeme, nice shine you got there :)

Ryan, those photos did turn out very nicely :) Enjoy your car ;) And if you read - my techniques that I thought you are spot on or very slightly varied to this guide :).

-EXALTD-

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:10 pm

exaltd wrote:Sheesh, I go away for awhile - I come back and the thread has so many posts!

Lee, yes, they did end up using my products ;) Well, some of them :) Also, I don't have to write up a DIY :P this is more detailed than I could put up in a short amount of space and time :).

And Graeme, nice shine you got there :)

Ryan, those photos did turn out very nicely :) Enjoy your car ;) And if you read - my techniques that I thought you are spot on or very slightly varied to this guide :).

-EXALTD-

Thanks! :D

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:46 pm

I just looked at that VXR link.......AMAZING!!! That guy is just incredible, so much effort. Would love to see that car in the flesh.

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Should probably ask my question while here hey? Well, I usually wash my car every 1-2 weeks; I do the same as someone has already said, rinse with hose, wash with a combined wax/wash and then chamois. I have a high pressure water system, should i rinse with that instead? I also use a sponge, good or bad idea?

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Thomas,

High pressure rinsing is a good idea as it'll help to lift the initial dirt and grit off easier. Also, using a sponge to do the suds isn't exactly the best idea, especially if your car is dirty - this is because it does scratch the car as it doesn't have the lifting power of a lambswool/microfibre wash mitt.

Hope that answers your question.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:54 am

Don't use sponge and don't use chamois. I've been told they drag dirt along the surface causing your swirl marks.

I've been using microfibre since and I have yet to see any swirlmarks on my nearly 1 yr old car :o
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:57 am

Actually, a good chamois is alright, as long as the chamois isn't too old or dry, or left out in the open (those with covers/bottles are best). No problems here with scratching after using the Meguiars Soft Buff Synthetic.... planning on trying the Autoglym one next.

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:11 pm

I went and had a quick look at my paintwork the other day, doesnt seem to have any swirls; however, i didnt look in sunlight or anything. So a good lambswool mit sounds like the go. What do you guys think of the free microfibre towel that comes in the mitsu pack??

P.S My car never really gets "dirty", i barely drive it. But im not going to use a sponge anymore!

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 pm

tomtom wrote:I went and had a quick look at my paintwork the other day, doesnt seem to have any swirls; however, i didnt look in sunlight or anything. So a good lambswool mit sounds like the go. What do you guys think of the free microfibre towel that comes in the mitsu pack??

P.S My car never really gets "dirty", i barely drive it. But im not going to use a sponge anymore!

The towel is on par with my other $10 towels, mid range, i use it for applying/removing my waterless wash (i use my expensive towels for detailing) But yeah, who doesnt love free stuff :D

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:53 pm

As for the chamois debate, i use my dads ancient leather chamois (soak it in water for awhile and it becomes extremely soft) rock hard naturally. We also have a marine towels in a pressure container (pain to get it out once it dries lol)
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Always remove the tags on your microfibre towels, because they can scratch.
2009 ralliart

Return to “Maintenance”