***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Washing/Detailing your lancer.

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Washing/Detailing your lancer.

Postby RyanMK » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 pm

I've just got my 1st car recently, a Lancer of course. :D I stay at a townhouse where I don't have access to a hose. And as far as I know, I'm not allowed to wash my car at my place due to the water restriction(correct me if I'm wrong).

I've thought of those coin operated self car wash place but as far as I know most, if not all of them do not allow the use of buckets(again, correct me if I'm wrong).

So my question is, for those of you who are in my position, how do you wash your car? Any ideas, suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I'm in Adelaide by the way. Hyde Park to be exact.
Last edited by RyanMK on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:46 pm

I used to wash myself at those DIY places but found it costs me around $6 to do the whole car and takes a lot of effort.

But then I realised there is a good local carwash place which does hand washes (and cleans rims) for $10 including coffee. It's an outdoor affair (i.e. not indoor/warm/etc) but I am happy to sit there in the sun sipping on a coffee and doing notes/work/reading.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 pm

if you plan to use those coin operated car wash , first and most important , NEVER EVER use their brush , it'll give your car swirls that looks bad under light. if you wanna use buckets there , do it late at night when there's noone working/washing there.

If your hardcore enough and wanna wash car at home freely , i recommend using filtered rainwater tanks, thats what i'm doing and a 210l tank goes for 4-5 washes.

Since its a new car , always remember not to wash it with sponge as it'll drag the dirt/grime on the car and make fine scratches/swirls.

I use to wash my car with just a cloth and bucket which was really bad for the paint (had to learn the hard way). If you want to know more about taking car for your car's paint , shoot me a PM and i'll share with you some of the basics which will go a long way :)

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Use AutoGlym. Nuff said.

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 am

whitemonster wrote:if you plan to use those coin operated car wash , first and most important , NEVER EVER use their brush , it'll give your car swirls that looks bad under light. if you wanna use buckets there , do it late at night when there's noone working/washing there.

If your hardcore enough and wanna wash car at home freely , i recommend using filtered rainwater tanks, thats what i'm doing and a 210l tank goes for 4-5 washes.

Since its a new car , always remember not to wash it with sponge as it'll drag the dirt/grime on the car and make fine scratches/swirls.

I use to wash my car with just a cloth and bucket which was really bad for the paint (had to learn the hard way). If you want to know more about taking car for your car's paint , shoot me a PM and i'll share with you some of the basics which will go a long way :)

I reckon I would need to wait for abit before I could PM you as I think I need to hit 20 posts to be able to PM. Lol. Better get working.

I don't think I could install a rainwater tank as I'm at a rented place. So far I guess the best option for me would be to wash the car late at night when there's hardly anyone there.

Thanks for all the handy tips guys! Keep them rolling.

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 am

SIR-VRX wrote:Use AutoGlym. Nuff said.

agreed 8), however, i also recommend mequires waterless wash/quick detailer + micro fibre towells.
I only wet-wash once a month at most. :idea:
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 am

go to a mates place where you can use a hose, or go visit you parents and do it there :P

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 am

First of all Ryan you need to change your location to Adelaide. We don't need to give Vic. any more members.

I use the car wash sparingly. It is best to avoid rubbing the dirt in to the paint. High pressure wash the dirt off. I go to a car wash at Campbelltown(N/E Suburbs) which has Mohair hand brushes, which are very soft.

As Bryan said use Meguiars waterless wash to keep it clean. I bought a pack at Autobahn for about $50. Comes with duster, microfiber towels and waterless spray.

I am like Lee and use filtered rain water to wash the car, not that it gets dirty because it does not get driven much.

If you need help I am happy to meet you at the Campbeltown car wash and show you the best and cheapest way to do it. Just send me an email.

terbo88
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby terbo88 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

Apartment block wash bays ftw. Hehee. Although i do like being able to go to the self serves at random hours of the morning when im bored.

Like whitemonster said though do not use the brushes at the self serve washes. Lots of trucks and 4WD's go there and use them/fill them with dirt and crud. Which is can be pretty damn harsh on your cj's precious paintjob.
-HKS-AMS-UR-TOMEI-BLITZ-
MONSTERSPORT-ARC-WORK-COLTSPEED

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:16 pm

aspir3 wrote:First of all Ryan you need to change your location to Adelaide. We don't need to give Vic. any more members.

I use the car wash sparingly. It is best to avoid rubbing the dirt in to the paint. High pressure wash the dirt off. I go to a car wash at Campbelltown(N/E Suburbs) which has Mohair hand brushes, which are very soft.

As Bryan said use Meguiars waterless wash to keep it clean. I bought a pack at Autobahn for about $50. Comes with duster, microfiber towels and waterless spray.

I am like Lee and use filtered rain water to wash the car, not that it gets dirty because it does not get driven much.

If you need help I am happy to meet you at the Campbeltown car wash and show you the best and cheapest way to do it. Just send me an email.

Thanks for the offer aspir3. I'll definitely keep it in mind. Location is still Melbourne as I just moved down to Adelaide from there last week. Lol. Will get it changed.

And since I just moved down, I don't know of anyone yet where I could drop by their place and wash my car. :(

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:23 pm

I wash mine quite regularly at my local DIY car wash. I use the
-tyre and engine cleaner on the rims and tyres
-presoak the whole car
-presure foam hose
-foaming brush. Never had a problem.
-rinse
-high presure wax
-rinse
-quick lap down the freeway for a couple of km's for a blow dry and shes done. The wax makes the water bead off excellent!

Never had a problem with damage to the paint caused by using the brush.
My local must have good brushes?
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm

luffy4688 wrote:
aspir3 wrote:First of all Ryan you need to change your location to Adelaide. We don't need to give Vic. any more members.

Thanks for the offer aspir3. I'll definitely keep it in mind. Location is still Melbourne as I just moved down to Adelaide from there last week. Lol. Will get it changed.

And since I just moved down, I don't know of anyone yet where I could drop by their place and wash my car. :(

Ryan I am only 15-20 from where you live. You can pop in any time. Good to catch-up with CCJ members. Feel free to come over this week end and wash your car.

It would be great to see you on a cruise. There are some great guys and girls in the club from SA and I am sure they would be happy to show and tell you all about lovely Adelaide.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Go to a friends house to wash the car (rainwater tanks)

If going to the DIY places, make sure you don't use the foaming brush. Personally I find that they are really dirty and MAY scratch the paint/clear coat by dragging dirt everywhere.

I use microfibre for everything I clean - bar the wheels which I use a normal dirty sponge :P Even my 'chamios' is microfibre for drying. Some people have recommended even lambswool for drying.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Thought I'll ask about the steps to clean and maintain my lancer's exterior while I'm at it.

I've been researching abit online and so far what I've got is:

1. Wash the car down with soap.
2. Clay it.
3. Dry the car.
4. Polish
5. Wax.

Am I missing anything?

Also It'll be great if you include the product you use for each step.

MitsuLove
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby MitsuLove » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm

luffy4688 wrote:Thought I'll ask about the steps to clean and maintain my lancer's exterior while I'm at it.

I've been researching abit online and so far what I've got is:

1. Wash the car down with soap.
2. Clay it.
3. Dry the car.
4. Polish
5. Wax.

Am I missing anything?

Also It'll be great if you include the product you use for each step.

Or, get a decent paint protection and eliminate steps 2, 4 & 5 :)

I haven't got the time to do all that (and i have a black car, worst). Paint protect works good. I use the ph balanced soap they gave me with it (baby shampoo also good so i hear, much cheaper too!).

If you can't get PP, use Auto Glym or Meguiar's stuff both are really good.

1. high pressure rinse (car wash) or hose down
2. Soap and cold water (soft cloth, do wheels with a rag or different cloth)
3. rinse
4. chamois dry (body), window cloth to leave windows spot free

It's also good to wash/rinse one panel at a time to stop soap marks spotting the car. Get a good quality chamois too, cheap one's are useless.

Return to “Maintenance”