***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Removing under carriage cover?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mal
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Removing under carriage cover?

Postby Mal » Sun May 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I want to change the coolant in my CJ. What's the proper way of removing those plastic rivets? Is there a special tool?

Also, do I simply remove the front end undercarriage cover to access the radiator petcock? Thanks.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Removing under carriage cover?

Postby aspir3 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Mal wrote:I want to change the coolant in my CJ. What's the proper way of removing those plastic rivets? Is there a special tool?♦

Also, do I simply remove the front end undercarriage cover to access the radiator petcock? Thanks.

Welcome to the club Matt. Introduce your self in the new members section.

To remove most clips all you need is a little screw driver. Place it under one side of the centre pin and pry it out about 8mm. It does not need to come all the way out.

Once the centre is loose then the whole clip can be removed.

mr_evo
Alumni
Alumni

Postby mr_evo » Sun May 09, 2010 7:33 pm

yeah you only need to remove from the left hand side to around the middle, there is a small bung down the bottom left of the radiator core if you wanna drain all the coolant and do it properly. :) its about 2cm up from the bottom left, easy as to find..
:D I'm back baby! :D
Enkei - HKS - Turbosmart - Cosworth- TMW - Defi - DeatschWerks

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Don't forget to flush the rest of the system ;)

Mal
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Mal » Sun May 09, 2010 9:35 pm

This is probably the worst car for changing coolant that I ever worked on. I had to take the front end undercarriage cover off, which was a pain because there are so many bolts, screws and an assortment of plastic clips:

1. 5 or 6 steel bolt for attaching to (under) bumper
2. 2 steel screws for attaching to wheel well
3. 2 large plastic clips
4. 6 medium plastic clips type A
5. Approx 15 medium plastic clips type B

Unscrewing the bolts and removing the clips was pretty quick. The problem is when you need to plug the clips back. They only plug back in to their correct hole although they look almost identical. I should have drawn a map of where all the clips should go.

I was careful in removing the plastic clips. Yet I broke a clip (type B). The clip stem is square (5x22mm). These things are flimsy, I don't think they make them for repeated use so I may break more in future. I want a dozen of this stuff so where to buy em?

Heaps of people find the clips weak as well.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Your dealer. or Repco sell a few different types you may be in luck there.

Mal
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Mal » Mon May 10, 2010 1:18 am

After searching for hours, I found the source for these clips. You can buy em for $12 + $7 shipping for a pack of 15. They are about $2-3 each at US dealers according to evolutionm.net forum members.

Mistsubishi part # MR3289541 leads me to autobodyclips.com which says it's identical to Nissan part # 01553-09321, which leads me to clipsandfasteners.com which has a better online ordering system.

I've not ordered yet, I'm going to call autobodyclips.com (which claim to carry more stock) tomorrow to confirm on availability. I also found cheaper alternatives, but these clips are quality made by Auveco.

I think this will make a great bulk buy because so many Mitsu owners have broke their clips too and it will get worse when more CJ owners start servicing their cars themselves when the warranty expires.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon May 10, 2010 8:07 am

I've had my panels off numerous times, plus panels on other people's cars and not once clip has broken. Don't know why you broke yours :?

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon May 10, 2010 8:12 am

Ive never broken a clip...Just lost some and munted others. The bottom front bumper ones are absolutely munted, they were packed with dirt n crap which was locking it up. So all the plastic is pretty haggard but the still work :D
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

mr_evo
Alumni
Alumni

Postby mr_evo » Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 am

yeah i'm the same, I've had my front bar and panel off numerous times, haven't broken any clips yet, but i know you can get them at autobarn a lot cheaper than from a dealer or the US.
:D I'm back baby! :D
Enkei - HKS - Turbosmart - Cosworth- TMW - Defi - DeatschWerks

Mal
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Mal » Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm

I just realised something...I think Mitsubishi had all those fasteners for the undercarriage cover because we're not supposed to open them for simple coolant change.

I think we're going about it the wrong way. If you remove the front end cover (has only a few clips) that's on top of the radiator (under the bonnet), I think you can reach the radiator petcock. The coolant will then drain via a hole in the cover.

I haven't tested by I think it's possible. I shown a torch through the gaps and my hand may just fit. The petcock is also quite big for easy opening. Let me know what you think.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 pm

You can access the tap from the bottom....

For flushing coolant I find it easier to pop off the lower radiator pipe anyway... Faster and when flushing with water easier to see when it's clear.

Mal
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Mal » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:You can access the tap from the bottom....

For flushing coolant I find it easier to pop off the lower radiator pipe anyway... Faster and when flushing with water easier to see when it's clear.

Perhaps your way of doing things is better. I'm not arguing on that point.

My point is: it appears that this car was designed for EASY access to radiator petcock from the top.

Return to “Maintenance”