***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Motor Oils

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Motor Oils

Postby exaltd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:15 am

Hello guys :)

Investigating this stuff is doing my head in. Please help.

I met the guy who is in charge of LiquiMoly and they have new motor oils out which are supposed to compete against Motul but without the cost. He was telling me about the advantages and stuff, and showing me how to read all the labelling etc. - but the more I read into it now, the more I get confused.

Can someone tell me, what the heck is hydrocracked synthetic vs. fully synthetic? Any benefits? Or marketing gimmick?

Also, how do you read further into the coding - i.e. API SL/CF, ACEA A3-04 / B3-04 etc. - what does it all mean? What is what, which code is better?

Finally - all these endorsements i.e. MB-Approval 229.1, VW 501.01 / 505.00 also meets VW 500.00 - just a load of crap? Or properly tested.....

Upon comparing the Euro oils like LiquiMoly to Aussie oils, seems Aussie oils have the coding..... but not many have the endorsements.... The guy says it's because Aussie oil isn't as competitive as in Europe, so no need to manufacture to as stringent standards? True or just another marketing ploy?

Does it really mean our Aussie branded Nulon and Penrite etc. oils can't compete?

For the record, he endorsed Nulon products - he said they have to be the best manufactured in Australia :) And if he wasn'tr sellnig his products, he would buy Nulon.

Thanks heaps. I hope this also helps you guys in choosing oils :P So much choice, but everything seems so vague. I guess it's not all about reading the grade of oil alone (i.e. SAE 5w-40) :P

-EXALTD-

DJBOOBY
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby DJBOOBY » Wed May 05, 2010 7:01 am

this may help
http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm
how many km have you done

RDREDRALLIART
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby RDREDRALLIART » Wed May 05, 2010 8:29 am

You can investigate oils just about all you want but it really can come down to personal choice as every one will have an opinion on whats the best oil, many a forum can become divided over this topic .
My personal choice= ROYAL PURPLE.
Have been using for 4 years in various cars including Hi perf big block engines & believe it has saved an engine when badly overheated it.
Another advantage is when I have provided the oil for a service to the dealer I know its been put in as its coloured purple & stays that way for a few hundred K's
Again my personal choice from an old fart

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Wed May 05, 2010 11:20 pm

David, that was an excellent resource!

Where did you manage to find such a resource?!? I traulled through many places but didn't manage to find a summary like that.

DJBOOBY
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby DJBOOBY » Thu May 06, 2010 8:04 am

Google oil codes that all had another one but could not find it

Return to “Maintenance”