***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CV Axle/Tie rod/sway bar link noises

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

D.e.f85
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

CV Axle/Tie rod/sway bar link noises

Postby D.e.f85 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Hey guys was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their cv axles ? I’ve got 68xxx km on my vrx sportsback and I’m getting some popping/grinding sounds coming from what I’m guessing is a combination of my cv and sway bar links.

Has anybody had an issue with these? Where did you guys get your replacement parts? :?

D.e.f85
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re: CV Axle/Tie rod/sway bar link noises

Postby D.e.f85 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 pm

Here’s a video link of the noise

https://youtu.be/dcN7URpflSU

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 am

That sounds like normal backlash in the drivetrain. To check CV joints turn the wheel on full lock and drive in a circle you will get a clicking/rattling noise if the joint is U/S. Do it clockwise and anticlockwise
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 am

Wanted to revive this as I have begun to hear strange popping/knocking sound when I go from D to R. It happens usually between 1 & 3 times depending on how far back I’m going. After doing a bit of reading, the results have come up as a bad cv axle. However, after watching some videos, most examples are a constant ticking noise in either D or R which leads me to believe it’s something else. I’m stumped at this point and am hoping to avoid paying close to $200 just to have Mitsubishi tell me what it is. If you’ve experienced this or have any idea what it might be please let me know. Btw it’s a CVT transmission. Thanks in advance
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Could be any thing in the drive line , even the tranny itself
Don't take it to the stealership, have a chat to a local mechanic , I'm sure you can find a half decent local mechanic who charges less then half then the stealership to take a gander at it

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:12 am

I’ve kind of given up on the car at this point and pretty much hoping to just fix all the little bugs so I can try to sell it. I’m still getting the popping noises from time to time but I took a closer look at it today and attached a video. Hopefully this can help someone with more knowledge than me pinpoint the problem

https://youtube.com/shorts/ExKwuVbYEiQ?feature=share
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:09 pm

The axle is supposed to be able to slide in & out that’s quite normal. There appears to be a small amount of grease starting to leak from the small end of the CV boot. Replace the small clamp and clean up the grease and you’ll be fine.

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:21 pm

So that back and forth noise seems ok to you? And by small clamp you mean the closest to the engine?

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Yes for the clamp.The axle length changes as he suspension moves up and down and when you shake them around as you did they will make noises. If you have the car up on stands hold the inner CV in one hand and rock the wheel back and forth with your other hand you should have a small amount of free play.If it rotates at the wheel end any more than 3mm to 4mm I would replace the complete shaft.

Return to “Maintenance”