***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Odd ABS issue

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

AdventureWagon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Odd ABS issue

Postby AdventureWagon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi guys,

Really love my 2009 MY10 Lancer CJ ES (4B11, m/t, 107kkm) which I have had from new, but it recently developed an ABS issue. Not the usual low voltage code that craps out the ABS forever, this is an intermittent issue. Key points about it are:

- It only ever triggers after you've been driving for a at least a short distance (at least 50m)
- It is intermittent, you can go days without seeing the issue, or it will just appear for several days at a time.

I had a mechanic out to diagnose and he found the following ABS system codes:
C2104 - Valve power supply circuit
C2200 - ECU internal error
C1204 - FR-RL cut valve

He suggested a new battery, which is reasonable as the old one was just a 3 year old supercheap cheapo. I replaced it with a decent Yuasa one; all was well for a few days but then the problem was back again. The car then stood for 4 weeks as I was on holiday, got back and the issue remained, but then this last few days disappeared and hasn't been back since.

Any suggestions or similar experiences out there? I don't want the inconvenience of an ABS rebuild or a new $2.5k ABS pump from Mitsi unless I really really need it.

Thanks,

AdventureWagon

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Odd ABS issue

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:35 pm

I'd say it's a power supply fault.It will keep doing it until it develops a hard fault then you will need to get the ABS pump repaired.Try disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for a few hours,sometimes the ECU stores faults and even though you clear them they don't go away.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:38 pm

These guys might come in handy when the ABS unit packs it in
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4032208277

AdventureWagon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AdventureWagon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks a lot guys for the help.

The rebuild services look a whole lot cheaper than Mitsubishi so I will probably go with one of these if it does poop out altogether. Much rather spend this amount plus a bit for a mechanic to remove/replace/bleed than $3k plus from a dealer.

Although the battery is new the alternator has never been replaced so I will do what checks I can here (have a DMM and oscilloscope) and then make a decision on what to do next. Never seen the battery light though I suspect like oil lights these only come on way past any danger zone.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:27 am

Keep us informed please

AdventureWagon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AdventureWagon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Have done some investigation - oscilloscope showed nothing unusual, drop to 10V at start of crank, with 14.4V - 14.5V stable at engine run. No massive spikes and drops. Multimeter confirmed this, in min-max showed a min of 10V and max of 14.5V, stable at 14.4V with engine running idle.

Have also checked alternator connections - both the field coil plug and the main B+ terminal are tight and seem fine and undamaged. Also checked out the ABS fuses and these are fine. Earth closest to the alternator seems tight and fine.

Battery positive terminal fusible links also seem to be in good condition, and again I expect if one of these was out or intermittent there would be a lot more than just ABS to worry about. Accessible body and engine earths are also tight and in good condition. ABS pump plug is in tight and clipped in OK.

The only thing I saw that was a little odd is the negative battery connector - this seemed to be a bit dull and possibly corroded (not rusted, just not fresh metal). I did go over it with a file (all I had to hand) and managed to expose some fresh metal and then hooked it back up. Did not disturb the positive at this stage as I did not have an extension to hand to get under the air duct.

Will take it for a road test and see how it goes, however the issue has not returned since my last post. Maybe it's weather related as it's been warm here (Brisbane) the last few days. Will keep you updated.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:50 pm

The air duct that runs across the top of the battery lifts off
Sometimes there is clips down the front to remove

AdventureWagon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AdventureWagon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:56 pm

@bumblebee was just too lazy to do this plus the screw clip things are a bit of a PITA to remove

AdventureWagon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AdventureWagon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:59 pm

Update - it's now been over 2 weeks and well over 50 trips and 500km since I did the battery terminal cleanup and the issue has not returned. Now I have said this is probably will be back tonight, but anyway, just wanted to update you.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:45 pm

Excellent
Glad it is working
Thanks for the update

Return to “Maintenance”