***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Spark plug questions

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Spark plug questions

Postby Tywhiteguy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:40 am

Recently got new brake pads, will be putting new rotors, as well as new tie rod ends. I noticed that when I start my lancer it revs strangely up and down more so than I’ve heard in other vehicles. A coworker mentioned it might be a good idea to change my spark plugs. Was hoping to get a recommendation on what would be the best plugs to put in. Also, if anyone has had that problem, is there something else I should check?
Thanks in advance
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: Spark plug questions

Postby bumblebee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 am

Before replacing spark plugs , pull one out and have a look at it and see what condition it is in.
How many Kay's you got on the clock?
Has it been regularly service?
Last time fuel filter replacement done?
Last time throttle body cleaned?

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 am

About 72k miles and idk about the other I bought it used. In my old car I was told to remove the intake from the TB and just open it manually and spray the cleaner, is that the same for the lancer?
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:02 am

Remove the TB and clean it by all means
Just do not shove your fingers in the butterfly to open.it up or you will bend the butterfly.
The TB is held on with 4 bolts,10mm from memory
There is a good chance you have the radiator hoses connect to it
This will reduce your movements of the TB

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:23 am

Ok thanks might do that today before class. To check the spark plugs I read somewhere that you need a specific spark plug socket?? Is that true or am I making this up? Lol

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 pm

Tywhiteguy wrote:Ok thanks might do that today before class. To check the spark plugs I read somewhere that you need a specific spark plug socket?? Is that true or am I making this up? Lol

a sparkplug socket has a rubber bung in it to hold the sparkplug as you draw it out after undoing it. If you get a new one, they often don't let go of the sparkplug when you've finished doing them up. Little bit of dielectric grease might help that though. Lancers sparkplugs are 13/16th size.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 pm

Ok thank upu

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 pm

Does anyone have a link to a video or write up on how to remove the throttle body? Would like to get an idea of what I’m doing before I jump into it

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:03 am

I can do TB remove install and conversion almost blind folded.
Wise idea to disconnect negative off battery.
Disconnect the air hose to the throttle body.from the air box
Disconnect the cable.to MAF sensor
Remove air filter
Swing the air hose assembly from airbox to TB up and into the rocker cover out of the way
Press the clip in on top of the TB to disconnect the wiring harness.
Undo the four bolts holding the TB to inlet manifold
There is two radiator hoses going to the TB
These will greatly restricted the movement on the TB
If you live in Australia, it won't hurt to have these disconnected and bypass the TB
If you are not confident to do this, get a decent mechanic to do it for you.
You can then clean the TB with some TB cleaner and in worst case , an old tooth brush as well

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:13 am

Lol I was just about to tell you I found your response to someone else asking the question, 1) do I need to clamp the radiator hoses? And 2) if after looking it over I don’t feel confident enough to remove I can clean it still attached with just the air hose removed?

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:14 am

Also I live in the US but what does the bypass do?

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:34 am

Depends how cold it gets where you live to remove the radiator hoses to the TB or not
If it doesn't snow , then go nuts.
If you don't feel comfortable to remove the TB
At least remove the air hose to it and the air cleaner and pop the side of it all up and disconnect the maf sensor plug and put it into rocker cover
Flick the ignition round to all reds eg instrument cluster lights up warning lights but DO NOT start the car
Get someone to press the throttle to the floor
Get back under the bonnet and have a squirt on the butterfly with cleaner and clean it out
Once done
Turn ignition off
Butterfly will reset
Put hoses etc back on
Done
Last edited by bumblebee on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:19 pm

Awesome I think I’ll leave it in for now and if that method doesn’t work then I’ll pull it. Really appreciate the info bumblebee!!

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:39 pm

No worries at all
Glad to be of assistance

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:16 am

So I got in there but I used a rag and it didn’t seem to do a whole lot but it definitely looks a little better. Would a more abrasive option (like you said, toothbrush) be better?

Return to “Maintenance”